Center Skid Plate/Chassis Brace?

Hey guys, I was looking at RC Planet and I found a aluminum center skid plate for the E-Revo or Summit. http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...tCode=GHH02561 Looking at it got me thinking... Besides looking cool, I wonder if it would help stiffen the chassis, and strengthen it? Either way, it looks cool, so I was just wondering what you guys think.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 05-01-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Definitely looks cool But Im not sure how it would go "stiffening" the chassis, I think more of a brace on the top would help stiffen if that's what you are looking for.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    For crawling you want some flex in the chassis and make it to stiff and more than likely going to find a weak point, meaning something will break LOL IMO
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    For crawling you want some flex in the chassis and make it to stiff and more than likely going to find a weak point, meaning something will break LOL IMO
    Good point Ed
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum skid plate's aren't the best thing. Aluminum tends to snag on rocks instead of sliding. I don't think this plate will stiffen the chassis, it's in an already strong place in the truck. I've never seen anyone break a chassis in the middle, on the ends yes but not the middle. I could think of better ways to spend money unless you just want that bling factor. Check out T Bone Racing for skid plates.

RC Champion
    The only benefit i can see from the alum skids. It will stiffen up the chassis under the diff housings. This in turn should stop some of the moment in the diffs and help keep them strait and relieve some of the strain on them from twisting and turning. In turn should prolong the life. since we all seem to kill a diff at one point or another. I have been looking into them just for this reason as their is quite a bit of twist and movement on the diffs

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    No benefit. If your running your summit hard enough to flex or break the chassis in any place that skidplate is going to stiffen, you need a heck of alot more than just that skid plate.

Heres a REAL skidplate for a summit that actually provides huge benefits while crawling. Stiffer? Maybe not. Useful? Heck yeah!

http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...mmit-p868.html
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

The reason I asked about it is because with my DeWalt, if I floor it and it wheelies, you can see the chassis twist, or flex in the middle, about a inch or so. It doesn't matter, I just wanted to know if that center skid would fix it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    The reason I asked about it is because with my DeWalt, if I floor it and it wheelies, you can see the chassis twist, or flex in the middle, about a inch or so. It doesn't matter, I just wanted to know if that center skid would fix it.
    I think on this forum or another can't remember. Their was a discussion going and the general thought was alum was a good idea just to stiffen up the front and rear. Theory behind it was their is movement around the front and rear diffs. If it was stiffened up in those areas it would help take out the play and twisting of the diffs and help with busted gears and bearings due to the extra pressure put on it when it does move. Same concept of putting hot glue around the diffs to hold them still that u sometimes see on the revo forums. I will be upgrading at some point just not sure what brand I want

I put hot glue around my diffs to prevent them from moving, and from dirt getting in.