RC poster

Upgrades for my new Pede?

Hey guys, New to the forum and RC, Just picked up a new to me 4x4 VXL Stampede, my first RC, along with an Onyx 230, and a 2s lipo for $300, I think I did pretty well there...anyway. Theres nothing wrong with as far as I know and I was told by the guy I bought it off of is less than a year old. I also picked up an older Stampede for my 6 year old son so we can bash together, hahaha. As I intend to bash it hard and I for see somethings breaking, name of the game right. So....

Will an 3s fit with the stock battery hold down?

Will running an 3s cause me any problems? Or should I stick to 2s ?

Are aluminium towers better than the RPM plastic ones?

Do I need to regear if I intend on running a 3s do to harder wear an tear?

What size Hex adapters do I need?

Opinions on the best upgrades, maybe other than the stuff I intend on doing which is ST Racing AluminumFront/Rear Hub Carriers, towers, casters, MIP cvd's, RPM a arms, bumpers, Proline Trenchers, Raptor body, Jconcepts lowering kit, Big Boar shocks, 50wt. I want to do the heavy duty slipper clutch to but are these the only parts i need...5351,5352R?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated...cause i have no idea what im doing..hahaha!

strange I registered like 3 days ago it says i join 2011???
    Last edited by lazz; 05-01-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Language

RC Enthusiast
    Good buy on the pede. I can't answer any of your questions. I have resently purchased the same pede and I am in the process of also upgrading it. All I have done is put aluminum shock caps on it. I have a Kingshead mount and RRP heavy duty slipper unit on order (they will be in Friday at my LHS (Local Hobby Store)). Other parts I will replace as they break with RPM Blue and aluminum.
    Last edited by Diver9543; 05-01-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: grammer
    Jerry C.
    Stampede 4x4
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC poster
    What is a Kingshead mount? Should I be looking at one of these?

RC Competitor
    Welcome to the addiction!!

I've had my Pede for about a year now, and these are my strong recommendations as a new Pede owner and operator:

1) ESC fan.... this is a must buy. Protect your investment with this inexpensive insurance.
    2) Motor heat sink and fan... another cheap insurance that pays for itself. We're finally approaching summer, and you don't want your motor/ESC to overheat.
    3) Front RPM wide bumper. The stock Pede bumper doesn't provide enough heavy-duty protection. Get the wider bumper for another inexpensive "deflector shield"... particularly with running a Lipo at higher speeds.

Every one seems to have different priorities with upgrades. My opinion the Pede 4x4 is pretty tough out of the box and needs very little upgrading. The only thing I would recommend upgrading right away is the bearing adapter in the slipper clutch, you want the aluminum version Traxxas offers. Other than that get some wheel time with the truck and see what you break if anything or what aspects of it's performance you want to improve on before you decide on any upgrades.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    If you you are going to run 3s get the mip axles on there way, the stock ones will break. i ran 3s for 2 sessions and broke the rear out put yokes, then the front went after another two sessions, luckily I already had bought them so when they broke I just replaced them. The bearing adapter and the cooling fans for the esc and motor were the first things I did. Good buy and have fun.

RC poster
    Any suggestions on the fans and heat sink? I seem to only come up with two options searching on the internet and the reviews don't seem positive on either one. Thanks for the input so far hopefully somebody can answer some of the other questions I had.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lazz View Post
    Any suggestions on the fans and heat sink? I seem to only come up with two options searching on the internet and the reviews don't seem positive on either one. Thanks for the input so far hopefully somebody can answer some of the other questions I had.
    Get the traxxas esc fan, and I have an integy heatsink fan on mine.[IMG][/IMG]

RC poster
    hahaha those are the 2 i was referring to. So how are they working for? What springs are those?

RC Competitor
    the fans are, well fans. There is not much to them. most people use the traxxas esc fan beacause it snaps right on and plugs right in. The integy motor fan has worked just fine for me, like I said its just a fan to help cool. only problems I have heard with integy fans are the dual fan set up, can cause it to run a little wierd because of the power it needs. The springs our integy also, they are the red stiffer progressive springs i powder coated blue. The fan and the springs are the only integy parts i have, To me they are the only two things that are quality from Integy. There are not alot of people who will back Integy parts. They do make good springs. Stiffer springs = bigger jumps, which is what I like to do.

RC Qualifier
    Stick to the stock shock tower. I honestly haven't heard of one breaking.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    +1! I am still running the stock shock towers... Still have not broken anything after a lot of jumps. Landed a lot of times upside down as well!

Here is my build thread, you can base your mods from it:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-4x4-vxl-build...
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Every one seems to have different priorities with upgrades. My opinion the Pede 4x4 is pretty tough out of the box and needs very little upgrading. The only thing I would recommend upgrading right away is the bearing adapter in the slipper clutch, you want the aluminum version Traxxas offers. Other than that get some wheel time with the truck and see what you break if anything or what aspects of it's performance you want to improve on before you decide on any upgrades.
    +1 Now thats good advice right there man....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Also get you some alu. hex hubs. the plastic ones will round themselves and eventually round your rim

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    You won't break your shock tower unless you got to an 11t pinion gear and try to do backflips. While I was adjusting my ramp I nailed the front of my pede a couple of times and went through two.