Thread: Locking Diffs

RC Qualifier

Locking Diffs

I need to lock my diffs or close to it. I don't exactly want to go with diff spools but I want my diffs to be "tighter" I tried 500k diff fluid which isn't really much more than 100k. I've tried the Ofna diff lock and its just a little more than the 500k. I can still hold one wheel and turn it rather easily. If I get the truck with one wheel off the ground it doesn't have much pull at all.

RC Champion
    maybe try packing them with thick grease?

RC Qualifier
    I was going to use Bad horise but it costs $40 now just to ship which is crazy, buy like 3 and its free in the US. I don't know what grease would be super thick anyway. Trailer grease maybe?

RC Qualifier
    I have some thick grase in my garage that would lock'em right up. When I get home I'll tell you what brand it is but man that stuff is THICK!
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Qualifier
    Did you get the name of it?

Have you tried plumberís putty?
    It works pretty well to stiffen up the diff action with the cup packed with just enough room for the ring side pinion. Cheap, easy to get and easily replaced if you donít like it.

No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    Never used plumbers putty. I've only used pvc cement in plumbing. What is iy actually used for?

It’s used for a seal around the base of sink drains and faucet bases.
    You can find it in almost any hardware store in little plastic tubs for a couple bucks.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    Had a question for you all... If I were to install the diff spools, I know what they do, but what would be the advantage to putting those in? Would it make my diff's last longer? Do you still need to "shim" the diff if you install a spool?

RC Qualifier
    I had spools before, if your into crawling and "trail" driving. At high speed its hard to control sometimes and steering isnt so great. Maybe just one spool in the rear would be ok but brushless power might just wreck it.

RC Qualifier
    I got an idea while I was down stairs working out. If you want to lock your differential spider gears, you should fill that diff cup up with silicon. Once that stuff gets solid, nothing in that cup will move. I would use NAPA silicon gasket seal. It's 100% silicon. I would also move the gears around when you get the cup filled and assembled. That way everything in there gets coated, and then let the silicon set up. It will set in 3 hours, but I would go the 24 hours they tell you in the directions for max strength...just a thought.

RC Qualifier
    The silicon will eventually break free, JB weld would be best if you wanted fully locked diffs or use spools.

But i don't want fully locked diffs, I want really "tight" diffs. more than 500k which isnt as tight as i thought it would be.

RC Qualifier
    Oh well, I gave it the ol' college try. (lol)