RC Enthusiast

My emaxx brushless is seems to be favoring one battery.

I had my emaxx out yesterday and the run time was really short. I was running 2 3cell 5000 maH batteries and the runtime was really short and one Lipo was extremely hot the other was not warm at all. I checked the voltage and the hot one was 9.8 and the cold battery was 11.1? What could this be?

RC Qualifier
    The 11.1 is bad. To confirm this, run the 11.1 with another (known good) battery (other than the 9.8). If the run time and heat are the same, you confirmed that your 11.1 battery is bad.

RC Enthusiast
    you are correct thank you for the advice i did that today and the one keeps heating up. and losing voltage at about 1.0 faster then the other battery. Will it keep getting worse as times passes? thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    Once a battery starts going bad it's unlikely it'll recover. When my 3S LIPOs started to have split personalities like that, I would use the good one for other vehicles until I purchased a new set. Worst case, you could try running the truck with one 3S. Itíll be slower but at least itíll drivable.

RC Enthusiast
    yes thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    The 11.1 is bad. To confirm this, run the 11.1 with another (known good) battery (other than the 9.8). If the run time and heat are the same, you confirmed that your 11.1 battery is bad.
    Wrong. The one heating up and discharging faster is the turd, not the 11.1
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    He won't know for sure untill he runs each battery with a known good. What I do is; I number all my batteries, and always run the same sets together. For example: 1&2, 3&4 and so on. That way, if I get one that is suspicious, I can keep track of it when charging and running it with another pair. For example: 1&3, 2&4. Which ever of the newly aranged sets doesn't perform, I'll know which is bad.

With this young lad (lol), he doesn't know if his 11.1 has a Low Capacity Open (in one of the cells), and is making the 9.8 do all the work or; if his 9.8 has a Low Capacity Short (in one of the cells), and is causing it to discharge really fast before the 11.1 can do any work.

I'm sure he doesn't own a Battery Capacity Tester, as they are very expensive, but he can get an idea by doing as I have mentioned above. Which ever of the newly arranged batteries give him the best running time, the other set will contain the bad battery.

P.S. On some of our battery chargers, they have a Battery Capacity Output Value. This value isn't the true capacity of the battery, nor does it reflect intercell resistance. It's just the capacity being charged into the battery during that specific charging cycle...just thought you should know.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 05-03-2013 at 05:30 AM.