RC Racer

Last Minute Questions

Ok, I am pretty much set on getting a Momba Monster 2 system for my Summit, but I just want to make sure I have the facts right.

1. The ESC is waterproof.
    2. The ESC fan is not waterproof.
    3. The Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor would be superior over the Neu-Castle 1512 2650kv motor in the Summit.
    4. Both the Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor and the Neu-Castle 1512 2650kv motor are waterproof.
    5. This system is plug and play (no soldering or extra connectors required).
    6. This system is not sensored and will have cogging issues at low speeds (this is similar to the problem with the E-Revo 1/16 VXL).
    7. With this setup, the Summit can reach speeds of 30mph+.
    8. The Castle Creations website is the cheapest place to buy this system brand new.
    9. This system is easily adjustable and includes punch control.
    10. The Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor will fit in the Summit without permenant modifications to the vehicle.
    11. The stock gearing is the best gearing for this system.
    12. The ESC comes with LVC for Lipos, and a thermal shutoff system.
    13. I will be able to run this system (however short of run time) with the stock 7 cell NIMH battery packs.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these facts. Thank you. I am saving up for this system currently.

RC Qualifier
    #9 Adjustable with the purchase of a castle creations Field programming card or CC PC Link.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

#12 will also want to use the castle link
    To custom set cut off voltage.The stock cut off is too low in my opinion

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

eBay will likely be cheaper than castle's site

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

7. 30 mph? Is that all your expecting?

11. The stock gearing is good but if you enjoy bashing get a 16 or 17 tooth pinion for some good ole fashion fun.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    I'll do my best to answer your question as I run the Mamba Monster 2200kv combo. For general waterproof concerns contact Caslte directly and get the answer straight from the source... clearly you're a smart shopper ... about to spend hard earned cash.

5. It is not plug and play, you need to solder your own connectors, contact Castle to confirm, sorry.

7. You may still need to gear up to hit 30 with the supplied Summit gears that came with the RTR.

8. Ebay maybe cheaper and there are 'authorized Castle sellers', however you should buy from Castle if you are worried about anything going wrong, the ESC has a 1 year warranty.

9. 'Easily' adjustable... it's about same as setting the Traxxas radio I guess, get the Castle Link because you can make changes in increments of 10% however IMO for general bashing default settings are fine. Without CL your setting choices are limited. Download the ESC manual for better look. Re: punch control the default is disabled but you can always set the slipper clutch. This is what I do and I havent' broken anything on the drivetrain knock on wood

11. 'Best' is subjective. You can gear it higher, the motor and ESC can handle it but given the nature of the Summit, the 'best' gearing may depend how you want it to handle and not BL system.

12. LVC is default setting, and it's suggested to turn off LVC when running nimhs. Leaving LVC on and running Nimh is fine, it may cut short your runtime.

13. Yes but you'll need Traxxas connector for the ESC. FWIW Castle is launching their own connectors, you can be the early adopter

Comments: my on/off switch jammed very early, it is junk and I ended up connecting the wires together so the system is armed when I connect the batts. You may experience the same thing, a lot of people have. Also the switch is not waterproof.

To really delve into its possibilities you need the castle PC link. The program card does the basic , but to download the different software ( like version 2.2 the less cogging software) you will need the link, its only a chip and cable that connects between the system and the ESC.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    I recommend getting the Field Program Card, it does 2 things.

A. It allows programming out in the field LOL

2. With a USB / mini USB cable you can connect to a PC and it works just like a Castle Link.

You get two functions in one.

RC Qualifier
    BTW brendan, you can experience Castle Link on your PC, just download and use it in 'demo' mode, you can pick any esc.

Quote Originally Posted by brendan3216 View Post
    Ok, I am pretty much set on getting a Mamba Monster 2 system for my Summit, but I just want to make sure I have the facts right.

1. The ESC is waterproof.
    2. The ESC fan is not waterproof.
    3. The Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor would be superior over the Neu-Castle 1512 2650kv motor in the Summit.
    4. Both the Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor and the Neu-Castle 1512 2650kv motor are waterproof.
    5. This system is plug and play (no soldering or extra connectors required). Power connectors are not included.
    6. This system is not sensored and will have cogging issues at low speeds (this is similar to the problem with the E-Revo 1/16 VXL).
    7. With this setup, the Summit can reach speeds of 30mph+. Lots more than 30.
    8. The Castle Creations website is the cheapest place to buy this system brand new. Cheapest by far for the original non-waterproof Monster combos.
    9. This system is easily adjustable and includes punch control. Some features including punch control can be set using radio trigger pulls. All features can be set with Castle Link or Field Link hardware.
    10. The Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor will fit in the Summit without permanent modifications to the vehicle.
    11. The stock gearing is the best gearing for this system. Depends on your expected terrain and use.
    12. The ESC comes with LVC for Lipos, and a thermal shutoff system.
    13. I will be able to run this system (however short of run time) with the stock 7 cell NIMH battery packs. Not all that well.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these facts. Thank you. I am saving up for this system currently.
    I'm a Castle fan, but do yourself a favor and save up for a Tekin (sensored) system if you ever plan to do low speed driving.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Northern Adventurer: Thanks for the clarification.
    jamann: What does it do setting the LVC higher or lower?
    noir 522: I was looking for more but I don't know what to expect. What can i expect with stock gearing and tires? And I will definitely get the Castle PC Link.
    maxi single: I am very reluctant to spend this kind of money on something unless I do my research (I am 15 and only work weekends). Thanks for all of the great information. I will keep that in mind about the switch. Also, I do plan on buying the Castle PC Link.
    ksb51rl: Great information, I am also going to purchase a DeWalt setup for low-speed driving.

Thanks all for the great information, will have the money for this within the next two months (probably a lot sooner, just taking an uneven work schedule into account).

The setting on the castle stock is, in my opinion too low for the health of the battery packs.i have 2 sets of 8200 so runtime is not a issue.Even when I ran 5000 lower quality packs still set it there.
    Still have those two extra sets of 5000 mah lipo that I bring along in case some one needs them.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You could also look for one of the XErun sensored systems... they are pretty good.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Just noticed I set my cut off at ? Lol
    Mamba stock is 3.2v per cell
    I set mine at 3.5 conservative ?
    Probably
    But I have not had a battery die prematurely on me not even the cheap ones.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=jamann;5493676]I set mine at 3.5 conservative ?/QUOTE]

I set mine to 3.8 I don't have a storage or discharge mode on my charger. So I just drain my batts TO storage LoL

With 4 packs, that`s over 2 hrs. Longer than I usually go for
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.