RC poster

Jato 3.3 won't start factory carb settings

Hey all,
    I recently replaced the piston and connecting rod in the TRX 3.3. When it was time to break it in I had difficulty getting it started. I was finally able to get it going but I had to tighten the idle screw as tight as it would go and apply some throttle trim. I've gotten it running a little better but it still won't idle with the proper idle setting and no throttle trim set. The LSN is set to 4 full turns out, LSN is flush. However, I'm wondering how sensitive the LSN is. Looking at the slide, the opening to the threaded area the needle screws into is beveled then there is the counter-sank area, then finally the top edge of the slide. The pics show the needle being flush with the counter sank area but is it supposed to be flush with the beveled area?

Also I should mention it sat over the winter and could probably be cleaned. It doesn't seem to be that bad.
    Anyway, anything you guys got would be appreciated. I've been working on this for a few days and am ready to get the break in finished and run!

RC Qualifier
    The factory needle settings are rich. The lsn should be flush with the inner ring. I would set it back there then work are the hsn. I would also start with a fresh glow plug.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    Thanks. LSN set amd new plug installed. We'll give this thing another go. If that doesn't seem to help, is there anything else you'd suggest to try?

I would suggest you make sure the piston is installed correctly; Cut out portion of the skirt must be installed toward the carb side of the engine, oil hole in con rod should also face the carb side.

If not, it will never run or idle correctly, and the con rod/crank journal will not get sufficient oil.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    I think that Snook Man has your answer. When I replaced the rod on my first engine I put the piston in backwards and it acted just like your describing.

RC poster
    Thanks Snook, I'll check that. If it were installed incorrectly would it damage the piston/sleeve?
    Jato 3.3
    4-Tec (OS .18)
    Rustler (os .18)

RC Qualifier
    I've made that mistake before. Just install it the right way and you will be fine.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    Snook, I took your advice and it runs like a champ. Thank you!
    Jato 3.3
    4-Tec (OS .18)
    Rustler (os .18)