RC poster

Tmaxx 3.3 dies or not (sometimes)

Hi you all

I got a brand new Tmaxx 3.3 2 weeks ago, it was properly broken in, it idles good, it shifts into 2nd gear very good, it is even fast . the problem is that sometimes dies, sometimes right when I hit the throttle and sometimes after I brake. I know I have to tune it everyday, so every day if it doesn't fire up quickly I go back to factory settings and get it right. I also have a brand new plug today.

Can you guys give some advice on this? I a noob on this.

Thanks
    Last edited by Double G; 04-30-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: language

There is no need to go back to "stock" settings every day, just tweak you tune as needed if needed when you run each day.

It takes a gallon before the engine is really broken in, so give it a little time, new tight engines do what your describing.
    Is this happening before it's up to operating temp or after its warmed up?
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    thanks, I'll tweak it from now on.
    and it happens both times, before and after warming up.

RC Qualifier
    Have you ventilated the body yet? For summer runs? It sounds like it dies when still coollish, but after a run the temp is high and it dies. Try running it without the body, to eliminate a possible overheat condition causing it to die when you hit the brakes. Other possibility is idle set to low and when hitting the brakes closes the carb slide slightly causing it to die.

RC poster
    most of these runs have been without the body during tuning, sometimes I'm lucky and I can get good bashing with the body on.
    If I lean mi idle screw to prevent the carb closing, how am I going to prevent to engine to heat up? I suppose I need to find the exact point on the idle screw right? anyway, I'm going to try everything you guys say,

thanks a lot for your help guys

RC Racer
    The idle screw adjustment isn't a matter of leaning of richening the mixture in the sense the HSN and LSN are. All it does is set how much air the engine can get while on the break or at idle. The normal way to set it is to take a paperclip and stick in the opening of the carb and adjust the idle screw until it is the same size as the paperclip. Once you have this then you shouldn't have to change it again, all you will do is adjust the mixture.

RC Racer
    try richening the LSN. Did you try the pinch test? Pinch the fuel line while its running and warmed up (after a few speed runs) and if it stalls out right away, the LSN is too lean. if it runs for 3 seconds after pinching, its perfect. If it runs for more than 3 seconds, Its too rich.

If the LSN is set too lean, It can cause loss power on take off and possibly to stall.

RC poster
    yesterday I ran 5 tanks on my Tmaxx, only died 4 times, as Wildman says, maybe it needs more tanks to be fully broken in. I'll keep treating the car nice and easy for the first gal. My pinch test is a little lean, running for aprox 2 seconds after pinching, I can use some tunning on the LSN to get more power on the take off, I'm gonna keep like this for the first gal, I'm changing to 30% nitro after this frist one, (i've found is cheaper to travel to the us and pay 20 bucks for 30% nitro instead of the 40 bucks that 20% cost me at my hometown). thanks everyone for your tips

If you don't get that tune right you are going to be a very unhappy camper...

Your LSN once set rarely will need to be touched, usually once tuned and you make no changes to the type of fuel you have you may just need to tweak the HSN every once i a while with the changes in weather...

Get a handheld temp gauge they cost $26.00 for a Duratrax FLashpoint and keep that motor from getting over 270 degrees, or under 210... If you are not in this temp range you will damage your engine and it will fail on you.

Go over your owners manual really well, especially the part about the carburator and the mixtures...
    Then read over this, it will help make tuning a lot easier...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....&goto=newpost
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous