Thread: 6S and beyond

RC Enthusiast

6S and beyond

Hey guys,

I know there is a guy called rocket honda who's running 12s parallel. Is any one else running this successfully? If so, how?

RC Champion
    When you say 12s parallel are you talking about two 6s packs in parallel? If so it's easy to do with the right ESC wiring or wiring adapter, basically like running one big 6s pack.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

RC Qualifier
    Further to what johnny5c has said, are you certain it is a 12s setup?

If he is running 2 qty 6s batteries in parallel, it is still a 6s setup. Parallel wring connections double the capacity, but the voltage remains the same. A parallel setup will extend your runtime.

Series wiring connections (stock setup) double the voltage, while the capacity remains the same.

If he is in fact running a 12s setup, it requires a high voltage esc. It can't be done on the stock esc.

Hog

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry Guys,
    I realised after I hit Post that I should have said in Series.

RC Qualifier
    He would definitely be running a High Voltage ESC. I'm not fully familiar with the specs on the stock Castle Creations motor but would be very surprised if it was rated to handle the 50 volts of a 12S setup, therefore I suspect he is also running a different motor as well.

Not certain what the motivation would be to run 12S, other than to say "I did it". The stock Spartan on 6S is a challenge to trim out for stable running.

hog

RC Qualifier
    12s is way too much for this boat! 6s is plenty.

RC Enthusiast
    I emailed the guy and he's running a Leopard brushless with an after market esc, he's also running the batteries in parallel. As you guys have said the Spartan is a handful with 6s in series, I think I have got it stable, just got to iron out a little bit more torque roll.
    At first, I used to floor the Spartan and the torque roll was so bad (due to me not understanding the trim angles) it would do a full roll.

Embarrassing

RC Enthusiast
    Ok,
    I haven't tested this yet as I'm still waiting for the Program card from OSE. It should arrive any day now.
    I'm sorry about the messy cables, still trying to work out how to make it all neat, in a perspex box and water tight. My Spartan fully loaded weighs 3.6kgs (7pounds 14oz).
    So I'm running a Seaking 130a HV a Castle Creations BEC Pro, Leopard 4082 2000kv, Original Traxxas Steering Servo, Rudder with dual water pick up, 4 adjustable trims, original Traxxas transom with ball bearings, Octura Prop X645, a parallel connector and 2 4s Lipos in parallel.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Sy...tml?sort=3&o=3

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Sy...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Sy...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Sy...tml?sort=3&o=1

As soon as it’s up and running I’ll post a vid.

RC Competitor
    so are you running 4s,6s or 12s ? im running the same motor but lower kv Leopard 4082 1800kv on 6s with 180a ESC in another boat mines a SAW-like setup and if you do the numbers 6 X 3.7v X 1800KV = 39,960 rpm. Most better packs come off the charger at a normal 4.2v X 6 X 1800 = 45,360rpm and thats pushing the component's alot if we do the numbers on your setup

3.7v X 6s X 2000 = 44,400 rpm
    4.2v X 6s X 2000 = 50,400 rpm

Just proceed with caution - Start on the small side with your prop & work up if i was you

RC Enthusiast
    Pvtspoon,
    Yeah, I did those calcs as well. I'm going to start off with 8s, 2 lots of 4s parallel. if i can control it i'll move up from there. my goal is 12s. Just being different. If the motor blows I'll buy another Leopard with sub 1000kv.
    Enough about me. Can you share some of your knowledge about trim and transum set up?
    I used a website
    http://www.modelpowerboat.com/conten...-Hull-Attitude
    Have you got any YouTube posts?
    Last edited by SydneySpartan; 05-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.

RC Racer
    Shouldn't you also take into account the mah of the batteries in determining rpms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvtspoon View Post
    so are you running 4s,6s or 12s ? im running the same motor but lower kv Leopard 4082 1800kv on 6s with 180a ESC in another boat mines a SAW-like setup and if you do the numbers 6 X 3.7v X 1800KV = 39,960 rpm. Most better packs come off the charger at a normal 4.2v X 6 X 1800 = 45,360rpm and thats pushing the component's alot if we do the numbers on your setup

3.7v X 6s X 2000 = 44,400 rpm
    4.2v X 6s X 2000 = 50,400 rpm

Just proceed with caution - Start on the small side with your prop & work up if i was you

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SydneySpartan View Post
    Pvtspoon,
    Yeah, I did those calcs as well. I'm going to start off with 8s, 2 lots of 4s parallel. if i can control it i'll move up from there. my goal is 12s. Just being different. If the motor blows I'll buy another Leopard with sub 1000kv.
    Enough about me. Can you share some of your knowledge about trim and transum set up?
    I used a website
    http://www.modelpowerboat.com/conten...-Hull-Attitude
    Have you got any YouTube posts?
    sorry that wasent what i wrote seems to be cashed ??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    Shouldn't you also take into account the mah of the batteries in determining rpms?
    The mAh rating of the battery doesn't factor in to the RPM calculation.

The RPM calculation is Volts x KV rating of the motor.

The KV rating of the motor means that the motor will turn xxxx RPM for every volt applied. e.g. a 1000kv motor with turn 1000 RPM with 1 volt applied, 2000 RPM with 2 volts applied, 22,000 RPM with 22 volts applied, etc etc. (NOTE: this is no-load RPM)

Lipo batteries have approx. 4.2 volts per cell fully charged, and approx. 3.3 volts at safe discharge. When calculating RPM you generally use the nominal voltage of 3.7 volts per cell for calculations.

The mAh rating of a battery is a measure of how much charge is stored in the battery. The higher the mAh rating, the longer the battery will last between charges. It is synonymous with a gas tank, low mAh rating = small gas tank, high mAh rating = large gas tank.

Where the mAh would factor in, is iff you go to a higher kv motor (all else remaining the same), the amp draw will increase, so if you run the same batteries with the higher kv motor, you run times will be shorter due to the higher amp draw.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-28-2013 at 08:31 AM.

RC poster
    Hog, I have to say u r soo very smart with this stuff and knowing the info we all need to learn, THANK YOU