RC Enthusiast

sand in my....diff

ok so i have this love affair with the beach and i thought i had a decent sand solution when i was running the stock chassis and a dusty motors shroud, but then i broke the stock chassis and just bit the bullet and bought the FLM 10900 aluminium chassis. i had a few good sessions bashing on the beach before i started hearing the dreaded clicking sound. so i guess my question is what to do about the sand. have any sand lovers out there figured out a decent solution to keep sand out?

BTW i am running a 3908 with:

FLM 10900 chassis
    FLM front bulks (regular)
    stock diff (front n back)
    stock rear bulks(for now) maybe getting the FLM hybrid or combo bulks but not untill i find a way to keep sand out. for now stockers are cheap and fairly easy to replace.

i was also thinking about getting the new RPM bulkheads for the rear.
    my maxx is getting heavy! i need to possibly change the gearing since it seems to be substantially slower/heavier since i switched to the FLM chassis.

just got a set of trenchers and gonna try em out as soon as i get a new diff in.

how about the spooled diff, can anyone shed some light on this? how does it work/what does it do? i mostly bash on the grass during the week and get to hit the sand about once a month or so. lots of wheelies and i just started hitting jumps. i am ready to build my own launch ramp soon!
    ok thanks for any help guys! happy monday!

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Open your diffs and see if there's sand in there. There's a good chance that clicking sound is just a damaged diff from regular use, no different than stripping it in a field or pavement.

As for the upgrades, you can't have hybrid bulks at one end and stockers at the other because they have different ratios. Its either all hybrid bulks/diffs or all stock diffs with your choice of bulkhead.

The spool diff eliminates the side to side action of your diff. You know how if a left tire is caught, the right one will keep turning? Ya it won't do that anymore. Spools are good for offroading, but are poopy on road. I'd recommend some 500k fluid in your diffs instead
    Last edited by zball94; 04-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Champion
    I agree with zball, most likely its the diff or the pinion bearings gone bad. I really doubt that sand has gotten into the diff.
    One thing you can do to help keep the dirt away from the bearings is to put a felt washer in between the bearings and the drive cups.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    I agree with zball, most likely its the diff or the pinion bearings gone bad. I really doubt that sand has gotten into the diff.
    One thing you can do to help keep the dirt away from the bearings is to put a felt washer in between the bearings and the drive cups.
    i think both of you guys were right. i guess i just figure sand would blow out the gears but it has only been the bearings getting blown up so far. but i really like the idea of felt washers. that should help keep my bearings rolling a bit longer

RC Qualifier
    Ahh that nice clicking sound....... Not I still haven't fixed mine lol but I also haven't ran it either. I know the rear is out but what should I do about the front? I think I'm just going to tear it down and inspect it. Lol

RC Champion
    If you tear down the front to inspect i would replace the bearings while your in there.

RC Racer
    I use RTV to seal the diffs after rebuilds. I'll close up the diffs and tighten the screws, then run my finger with a bead of RTV all the way around the outside of the diff case. It makes a gasket.
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole