Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Castle SV3 incoming, what do I need to do?

I bought a Castle Sidewinder 3 / 1410 3800 combo over the weekend, should be here sometime later this week. What do I need to do once it comes in? I've read that I need to solder on the Traxxas connectors, I bought a pack of male connectors, do I need wire or anything else? I'm guessing the rest of it is pretty much a drop in replacement for the current ESC and motor?

RC Qualifier
    You should be good with that. You might want to buy a field programmer or a castle link. I believe the field programmer is about the same price and doubles as a link so you might want to go that route.

Question... Where did you find the SV3/3800 as a combo??? I've only seen the 3800 packaged with the SCT sidewinder as far as sidewinders go.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Oh nice I have yet to see that combo for sale anywhere yet. Like Mebster noted, I highly recommend the Field Programmer as it doubles as a link and make changes in the field on the go if needed. After you get it hooked up check the motor direction and swap 2 of the 3 cables for forward direction if needed. Then calibrate the Tx/ESC for throttle.

BTW that's a very nice combo, one of my favs.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by mepster View Post
    You should be good with that. You might want to buy a field programmer or a castle link. I believe the field programmer is about the same price and doubles as a link so you might want to go that route.

Question... Where did you find the SV3/3800 as a combo??? I've only seen the 3800 packaged with the SCT sidewinder as far as sidewinders go.
    Definitely get one or the other of the two pieces of programming hardware. The Field Link card is only about $4.00 more, so unless you never plan on adjusting setting in the field, go that route.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'll add the field programmer to the list.

I found the combo on eBay, through power_hobby. They had them separate as well, but it was about $20 cheaper to go with the combo. Looks like they still have a few of them in stock, link -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3194wt_1220

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the link. I've bought stuff from them before, went smooth. That's the first Ive seen the sv3 packaged with the 3800. I don't even think Castles site shows that as a combo. I havent been able to find it at Tower or A-Main either. Weird...

You're gonna love it. I've had the SCT3800 and it was great. I never experienced any of the esc overheating problems either.

Yeah I don't see the logic in buying the link since the field programmer is a link and $4 higher. The field programmer is simple, but it works very well.

RC Qualifier
    Yea, Castle's site didn't have the combo. From the reading I did over the weekend, that seemed to be the combo to go for though. I imagine they're just seeing people buy those two together a lot and are just offering the two separate items together as a deal. The price is pretty decent too.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah probably. Well you're gonna love it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingDad View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'll add the field programmer to the list.

I found the combo on eBay, through power_hobby. They had them separate as well, but it was about $20 cheaper to go with the combo. Looks like they still have a few of them in stock, link -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3194wt_1220
    I've seen that combo too, about $120. I would've bought it but I don't have enough right now.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Qualifier
    Make sure you get at least a 2s lipo pack
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

Quote Originally Posted by CBD55 View Post
    Make sure you get at least a 2s lipo pack
    ...and at least a 5000mah 25c, 30c recommended, and anything more the better tooo!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Note that because it is a rather powerful 4-pole motor, the 1410 (3800kv) motor is an amp hog, so you may indeed want to step up to the 30C or 40C battery level. Also, I'd be watching temps on my ESC more than on my motor if I were you. I swapped my old 5700kv out for one, ran it on 20/83 gearing and the motor hit 96*F but the old Mamba Max hit 155*F. To be fair, I was trying to push the system.

RC Qualifier
    Will this run at all with a 7-cell NiMH?

Will this run at all with a 7-cell NiMH?
    It will "run", notice run with an OK nimh. One of the nimh's i'll recommend are/were from Promatch (Ener-G) 4600 cells. But I highly recommend going to Lipo. That will wake up the system, it gives it the AMPS it craves. That's what ksb is talking about. I would say a 30c or more rated pack.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Got it. I'm running these "under the radar" from the wife, so I'm trying to spread out these purchases as I can. I have a 5000mah NiMH + the stock battery.

It looks like the SPC batteries are all out of stock, if I can I'll wait until they come back in and get one of those. It's not going to hurt anything to run the NiMH though?

Got it. I'm running these "under the radar" from the wife, so I'm trying to spread out these purchases as I can. I have a 5000mah NiMH + the stock battery.

It looks like the SPC batteries are all out of stock, if I can I'll wait until they come back in and get one of those. It's not going to hurt anything to run the NiMH though?
    Not really. The motor will cog more with nimh. Plus keep an eye that the Nimh packs don't get to hot. It does a number drawing juice from them. I'd keep it geared down some until you can get Lipo.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I thought the minimum you could run was 2s lipo, or else it would explode the battery?
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    i bought a castle sidewinder 3 / 1410 3800 combo over the weekend, should be here sometime later this week. What do i need to do once it comes in? I've read that i need to solder on the traxxas connectors, i bought a pack of male connectors, do i need wire or anything else? I'm guessing the rest of it is pretty much a drop in replacement for the current esc and motor?
    lucky !!! I am getting one when i have the $$$ !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CBD55 View Post
    I thought the minimum you could run was 2s lipo, or else it would explode the battery?
    It says you can run a 6-cell nimh or 2S Lipo (2-cell) minimum with a max of 12NIMH/ 3S LIPO. Of course with proper gearing.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Two battery pack types are coming in today.

Amp draw is also a function of gearing. You may want to gear a bit lower than usual if you suspect your packs will be overtaxed. A 1410 can quickly eat your NiMH packs if you are not careful.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-29-2013 at 04:22 PM.

It looks like the SPC batteries are all out of stock, if I can I'll wait until they come back in and get one of those.
    They are very good quality Lipo packs. I can't recommend them enough.

ksb noted a couple of them are coming back in stock. They are worth the wait even if you had to wait a little bit. I promise you that. The Quality to value is right there at the top IMO.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Good good, I'll wait for the SPC packs.

As far as gearing, I'm running the 16t pinion with the stock spur. Will that do for a few days for the NiMH until the SPCs get restocked? It says the 8200 50C 2S will be in, for $50 that's not a bad deal, compared to others out there. Is there a disadvantage/concern of getting the larger LiPo, over say the 5000 30C?
    Last edited by WorkingDad; 04-29-2013 at 04:38 PM.

RC Champion
    I bought a Castle Sidewinder 3 / 1410 3800 combo over the weekend, should be here sometime later this week.
    nice congrats , have fun
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    One thing you need to do is prepare yourself for a lot of fun. That combo will be awesome in your truck.

I would say get a 50c battery. Like others have said, the higher the c rating the better. I have the Sidewinder 3/4600kv combo and I get a good solid 40-45 minutes or more of runtime out of a 5400mah 2s 50c lipo.

Is there a disadvantage/concern of getting the larger LiPo, over say the 5000 30C?
    With the larger capacity battery it means longer runtimes so just mind the temps when running for so long.

Also the 8200mah pack may be a little long. The SPC site says minimal modifications for that battery to fit.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Ah, good points. I think then I will try to get one of the 6500 50c 2s ones. Why is that one cheaper than the 5400? Seems to be the same other than the mAh.

RC Racer
    Why is that one cheaper than the 5400? Seems to be the same other than the mAh.
    I wonder that too. I would have gotten the 6500mah but it was out of stock when I was ordering batteries last, so I got the 5400mah.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    I bought a Castle Sidewinder 3 / 1410 3800 combo over the weekend, should be here sometime later this week. What do I need to do once it comes in? I've read that I need to solder on the Traxxas connectors, I bought a pack of male connectors, do I need wire or anything else? I'm guessing the rest of it is pretty much a drop in replacement for the current ESC and motor?

Let us know how the setup works for you.

I have been thinking of picking one up aswell for a different truck

Matt

RC Qualifier
    Yep, will do. The combo should come in Thursday or Friday. I won't have a LiPo to try in it until early next week at the soonest, but we'll see how it goes on the NiMH

RC Champion
    As for the soldering, Castle does a great job of tinning the wires, so all you really need to get that part of the job done is some flux and a hot solder.

Please know that Castle sets up their combos to have 100% forward power and 50% reverse. Wires will be labeled red, white and black each labelled a, b & c...and depending on the combo, you may have to play with installing the a wire to a wire, b to b and c to c - or you may have to cross any 2. ex black to black, white to red and red to white. You also may need to reverse your throttle channel on your radio, so keep that paperwork handy. After installing the combo, it should be pretty easy to tell which way the wheels want to spin at 100% power vs. 50% and you'll have to play with it from there.

RC Competitor
    I love the Sidewinder's, good choice. I have 3 Sv3 combos (just upgraded them all from the Sv2) and I love them. I have one in my Pede with the 1406 5700kv motor, and despite what everyone might think it is in my opinion the best motor for the Pede. Blazing fast, tons of torque, and never gets close to overheating, no matter my driving style/terrain, even with a 3s.

I normally use a Venom 5300 70c 2s and I've never gotten the motor over 100F with this battery. Sv3 with 5700kv is a perfect combo for the Pede, even though everyone says "no more than 4600 with the Pede" because they read it somewhere...the newer 4-pole Castle motors are beastly and can easily handle pushing around a Stampede. Still a good choice with the 3800 combo, you should have absolutely no heat issues and plenty of power/speed. Have fun!

RC Qualifier
    Update:
    The package came today. They were packaged individually, as expected. The Sidewinder was shrink-wrapped, the motor wasn't The motor had some tears in the foam padding, and a slight smudge on end of the casing, but it doesn't look like it was mounted, there's no wear on the screw holes. I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about yet, but it was advertised as "new".

Can't wait to get home and get it installed.

RC poster
    ^^^ sweet. Lol.... I'm also a dad making under the radar purchases...Let me know how you like it!

I was going the combo up today, but now the comments about running them on nimh has me worried - am i going to eat up batteries fast? Can i just gear it low or reduce the power to play it safe? (speed isn't a huge priority at the moment) Not ready to go lipo yet...

RC Qualifier
    Hey working dad, great choice on motor/esc! I run the sv2/3800 in my p2de. I love it. I hope you do as well.

Sent from Oser world

RC Qualifier
    Got it installed. I sleeved the power wires with paracord (took the inner strings out). I'm going to get some mesh loom for the other wites. Soldering the Traxxas connector didn't go easy, the solder on the wires would not melt. I ended up basically just wrapping those pre-soldered wires with my own solde around it.

I also put the ESC cable on the second #1 connection on the receiver. That took me a while to figure out when calibrating, but it's all good now.

Considering its already 2am, I can't take this outside until tomorrow.

Where should the switch be mounted?

RC Qualifier
    Looks good man. I supper glue my switch below the ESC on the side of chassis. There is a spot on the right side of chassis for a switch. I had used that location on one of my pedes, but I had to modify the chassis and extend the wiring for it to work. Looked really professional when I was done with it. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Looks good man!! You will like the power and speed from that mighty little combo. What's your gearing?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I used some double sided heavy duty velcro to attach the ESC. It's not the fuzzy/scratchy kind, more like little plastic pegs that interlock, so I shouldn't have to worry about water sitting around in it.

Going to see if I rig up something for the switch that's elegant. I don't like to modify the stock plastic anymore than absolutely necessary.

Gearing right now is 16/90. I haven't taken it out though. After I got the ESC calibrated I had to put it up for the night since it was around 2am.

I'm also excited because after the new motor/ESC, all I really need is a new radio/receiver, gearbox & transmission, servo, and chassis and there'll be enough for another stampede for the kiddos. Not much really, in the grand scheme of things. WTH, I've only had this for a month!

RC Qualifier
    Looks good workingdad! Just go ahead and get the SPC li-po. Tell your wife we said you needed it now! I'm sure she'll understand

RC Qualifier
    Yep, just waiting for it come in stock. Will hopefully order tonight.

I know some like it and some don't but I like to mount the motor can shroud on top of the ESC. Then I glue (shoe-goo) the switch to the side of the shroud. I've had very good luck with the air blowing on the ESC and keeping it cool.

If not you can still shoe-goo the switch to the side of the ESC if you want.

+1 for Lipo.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore