Thread: Plz Help!

RC poster

Plz Help!

hello,

I am very new to this and only been researching/watching videos for about a week. I do not own a truck yet but I would like to get opinions on what truck to buy. I was looking into the Traxxas Summit 1:16. I really just want to rock crawl, speed is not important to me. please leave any comments on trucks, upgrades to put on, for a good rock crawler. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

The Summit 1/16 might be a good start. You can buy tons of upgrades, but IMO best way to start is get familiar with the truck first and upgrade when you break parts.
    You already started the right way by looking around first.

Good luck with making the decision.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

The Summit 1/16 might be a good start. You can buy tons of upgrades, but IMO best way to start is get familiar with the truck first and upgrade when you break parts.
    You already started the right way by looking around first.

Good luck with making the decision.
    thanks man, but yea I really wanna crawl but the 1:16 is waterproof right ? cuz I researched and it was said that is is waterproof but you can't go into dirty water with the brushed motor ? correct me if I'm wrong, again I'm a NOOOOOOOB.

Quote Originally Posted by MGi View Post
    thanks man, but yea I really wanna crawl but the 1:16 is waterproof right ? cuz I researched and it was said that is is waterproof but you can't go into dirty water with the brushed motor ? correct me if I'm wrong, again I'm a NOOOOOOOB.
    We were all Noobs in the beginning. Read my signature

The Summit is waterproof. Looking at lifetime, of and necessary service for brushed motors, I would consider getting the brushless (VXL) version. Another advantage is the 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver combo which suffers less from interference.

RC poster
    We were all Noobs in the beginning. Read my signature

The Summit is waterproof. Looking at lifetime, of and necessary service for brushed motors, I would consider getting the brushless (VXL) version. Another advantage is the 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver combo which suffers less from interference.
    okay so a summit 1:16 brushed motor is no good .. a summit vxl brushless is better off ... and a summit vxl brushless 2.4 GHz is better off yet ?

okay so a summit 1:16 brushed motor is no good .. a summit vxl brushless is better off ... and a summit vxl brushless 2.4 GHz is better off yet ?
    There are two versions of the 1/16 Summit; the standard brushed version with an AM tx/rx and the VXL version with a brushless combo and a 2.4GHz tx/rx.

RC poster
    hello,

I am very new to this and only been researching/watching videos for about a week. I do not own a truck yet but I would like to get opinions on what truck to buy. I was looking into the Traxxas Summit 1:16. I really just want to rock crawl, speed is not important to me. please leave any comments on trucks, upgrades to put on, for a good rock crawler. Thanks in advance.
    the 1/16 summit won't crawl that great out of the box, but as others have mentioned there are tons of upgrades to help that along. I picked one up after getting a 1/16 slash, and have had a blast with it. Great for all sorts of terrain, and is geared down slightly from the slash for speed due to the larger tires, etc. For purely backyard racing around the summit was a much better choice for me than the slash

RC poster
    There are two versions of the 1/16 Summit; the standard brushed version with an AM tx/rx and the VXL version with a brushless combo and a 2.4GHz tx/rx.
    okay and how much would the VXL brushless combo 2.4 GHz be?

okay and how much would the VXL brushless combo 2.4 GHz be?
    I have no idea how much it is at where you live. I live in the Netherlands, where the Traxxas prices are pretty silly compared to the US.
    At the closest LHS here you pay over $500 for a VXL. In the US you can get it for just over $300.

RC poster
    I have no idea how much it is at where you live. I live in the Netherlands, where the Traxxas prices are pretty silly compared to the US.
    At the closest LHS here you pay over $500 for a VXL. In the US you can get it for just over $300.
    Yea I found it for $324.29 sooo I'm thinking about it. but if its not to much to ask (hahahah) can you give me a parts list. (in order) to upgrade my summit vxl to a crawler? thx in advance!

Yea I found it for $324.29 sooo I'm thinking about it. but if its not to much to ask (hahahah) can you give me a parts list. (in order) to upgrade my summit vxl to a crawler? thx in advance!
    Bear in mind that the Summit is not a crawler in the first place. I converted my Merv into a Summit because I wanted it to act crawler-ish.
    What you can do is use a smaller pinion gear and/or a larger spur.
    Another mod that makes the Summit go a lot slower, is the so called tranny flip.
    You can take a look here how the parts of the transmission are put together.
    A tranny flip is nothing more than swapping the two gears of part #7093 so that the smaller gear drives the larger one instead of the other way around. That makes your car go a lot slower.
    Largest spur gear is a 55T (#7047R). For pinion there are a lot of choices. What you are looking for is a 48P pinion for a 3mm shaft. For Traxxas part numbers, look at the Parts list.

Don't forget I am just a noob in the Summit world too

RC Champion
    Truth be told, if you're looking for a crawler you should get a purposed crawler. Several companies offer 1/14-1/18 scale RTR's. You'd have to spend a lot to make a Summit even crawler-ish, and even then it would be a rock racer at best. TRX is all I own, but I'd suggest looking elsewhere for what you're wanting.
    / 16

Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    Truth be told, if you're looking for a crawler you should get a purposed crawler. Several companies offer 1/14-1/18 scale RTR's. You'd have to spend a lot to make a Summit even crawler-ish, and even then it would be a rock racer at best. TRX is all I own, but I'd suggest looking elsewhere for what you're wanting.
    I have no genuine crawler experience, but if you do the tranny flip and gear it 55/15, you can do 10mph max on 2S. That is pretty crawler-ish for the price of a spur and a pinion. Or am I wrong?

RC Champion
    I guess the definition of a crawler can be subjective. If you're wanting a true crawler (low COG, solid axles, etc) I'd check something else out. If you want to go slow on or around rocks, then a modded Summit will do that. I'd just hate for the guy to drop money on something that might never meet expectation.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    if you really want to crawl, buy the full sized summit. They would have to be pretty small obstacles to crawl with a 1/16th vehicle. As for the price, You can find it for around 5 dollars cheaper if you look around with shipping included. Probably do a little better if you take advantage of price matching.

It definately seems that prices have gone up on these things since Dec though. No way you can get it for 285 shipped anymore and the radio is cheaper too.

If you do get one, I would try to find a place with old stock so you can get the better radio.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    I guess the definition of a crawler can be subjective. If you're wanting a true crawler (low COG, solid axles, etc) I'd check something else out. If you want to go slow on or around rocks, then a modded Summit will do that. I'd just hate for the guy to drop money on something that might never meet expectation.
    For the record: I will never question that the 1/16 Summit will never be a real crawler, but the "rock racer" and "a lot of money" triggered me to mention the 10mph and the pinion and spur as necessary parts.
    I respect your concern of dropping money on the wrong choice.

So MGi... look before you leap!

RC poster
    For the record: I will never question that the 1/16 Summit will never be a real crawler, but the "rock racer" and "a lot of money" triggered me to mention the 10mph and the pinion and spur as necessary parts.
    I respect your concern of dropping money on the wrong choice.

So MGi... look before you leap!
    thanks everybody for your help! but I think I might research more before I spend the money. In all honesty, I really want a lift kit, ford truck body with a ladder rack, all blacked out but I just dont know what chassis, etc are Involved. but thanks again everyone for all the help and I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

RC poster
    ok so I think I found one ... a Axial SCX10 "2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon" 1/10 4WD RTR Electric Rock Crawler w/2.4GHz with 2S 7.4v Lipo ...how does that sound ? and any opinions are recommended.

ok so I think I found one ... a Axial SCX10 "2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon" 1/10 4WD RTR Electric Rock Crawler w/2.4GHz with 2S 7.4v Lipo ...how does that sound ? and any opinions are recommended.
    Errm. This is a Traxxas forum owned by Traxxas. Discussions and/or opinions about other brands are not allowed.

RC Champion
    We can't really discuss non Traxxas products, but that's a great choice if you're looking for a scale crawler rig.

You should be good if you Google search a few forums specific to that model/manufacturer.
    / 16

RC Racer
    you can crawl in the summit it can be quite good with very minor mods but if you look into getting more serious later you might find yourself more disappointed. unless you want the option of easily going fast or slow with only a few changes you might find something better elsewhere. if you want to find another kit to look into i suggest you go to the manufactures forum and asking there.

RC poster
    You are very knowledgeable about Traxxax Summit and I appreciate all of your tips that you gave to the other guy. Keep it up!