Thread: T-Bone Racing

RC Qualifier

Thumbs up T-Bone Racing

I felt that I have to post my recent experience with T Bone Racing. I ordered their a-arm skids for my summit and chassis skid for my merv. The fit and finish of the parts is perfect while adding durability and protection to both trucks. Couldn't be happier.

I then decided that had to get everything that T Bone makes for my summit. Problem is I never liked the looks of their bumpers but wanted the front and rear skids that the bumpers attach to. So I called T Bone's customer support. I spoke to a really helpful lady and explained my situation. Within a couple of hours I had an email from them. Then two days later T Bone had their front and rear skid plates available seperately from the bumper packages.

It's really nice to have to deal with a company like T Bone Racing. They listened to their customers needs and wants. I can't say enough about them and would recommend their products to anyone.

Here's a couple of pics of my summit with the T Bone treatment. (Sorry for the crummy pics. My wife likes to hide things on me like the camera. She says she's putting things away but I call it hiding things.)

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 sets of a-arm skids on the way, cant wait. Should be good for crawling. I was going to go all-round. But decided for me just skids. Couldn't see getting the center skid, a little waste full to me. The stock under skid system works well for me. But I did upgrade certain aluminum pieces.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Racer
    just ordered the a-arm skids as well
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

RC Enthusiast
    These are deffo on my list of things to get, looks good and practical

RC Qualifier
    That is great to know about T-bone. I was on their site last night and wandered if the arms, skid plates and chassis plat would all fit together. I had installed the RPM erevo front mounts to lower my body so your efforts will help me. The photos really help with seeing how they all fit. Were they hard to install? looks simple with their layout but my thumbs always seem to get in the way. Thanks for the post it helped a lot.

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered the skid plates for the A arms, chassis, and front and rear plates. here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...mmit-p868.html

RC Qualifier
    Installing all the parts is pretty straight forward. The front a-arms can be a little annoying but nothing too bad.

I gave the everything a little test drive yesterday on my rock coarse. The plastic that T Bone uses is pretty slick so the truck just slide over the rocks instead of dragging and getting hung up. The skids don't have that new fresh look any more they're all scratched up. Can't want to drive in the woods, hopefully stick won't get caught in the arms as easily.

One side note. When I got the chassis skid, I wasn't completely happy with it's shape the front sat up from the chassis more than I liked. I called T Bone and they told me that I could use hot water to heat the plastic and bend it to a desired shape then cool it in cold water to hold that shape. Worked great. They said to use water so the plastic would remain flexible, dry heat like a heat gun or blow dryer will make the plastic brittle.

RC Qualifier
    I should probably add a disclaimer to my previous post.

1. Hot water could cause haarm, so be careful.

2. Contact T Bone before attempting to modify anything. You could void your warrenty.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the install info. I should get mine sometime this week. The hot water trick is good to know. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Got my skid plates and here are few photos. They fit great. I didnt realize that the screws for the skids use existing screw holes in the Summit. I thought I was going to have to drill those. Soooo it was much easier than i expected. On the A-arms and front and rear plates i used tape to hold the spacers while I installed the screws. What a nice product fit like a glove, a little pricey for all but great quality. "the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a lower price."

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    The center piece of the rear arm skids need to be tucked under the cross member on the arm. Look at my first fuzzy pic, you can see the difference.

RC Qualifier
    b@3 is right, the a-arm skids are installed wrong. Visiblt tabs on the inside of the chassis are to be tucked under the a-arms. I used a dab of grease to hold the spacers in place when installing mine

RC Qualifier
    Ah darnit I knew it was to easy. Ill reset them. Thanks for the input.

RC Qualifier
    No problem. being the rear ones with the plastic wedge piece just loosen them up pull back press down tighten them up and good to go. Now I see why its like that it hold the lower part of the A-arm skid in place. thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Much better
    I made the same mistake the first time i installed mine too lol

I didn't go with the front and rear bumpers just the full center skid and a-arms. They make a huge difference.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I dont mean to brag... but the reason those skids exist is because i called them and made a request. Hehe. They are an absolutely awesome company to deal with. I literally called and made a suggestion on chassis skid. They said they had looked into it but didnt know what kind of response theyd get. I told them about the traxxas forum and how many guys would love it and they said theyd build it. And, just for making the suggestion they gave me a lifetime discount on all future orders.

I called back a few weeks after getting my first chassis skid and suggested the arm skids and it wasnt 2 weeks before they had them listed as "coming soon" and a month or so before they were available. I got my first set for free.

Love those guys. For anyone who thinks the centre skid isnt a big deal... I suggest trying it. You wont believe how much a difference it actually makes.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I will second that.it does make a difference don't get hung on stuff nearly as much.can bump and slide over logs and such lose a bit of clearance but it just slides over the stuff that would catch before.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    guys... I back and fourthed on the chassis for a while. At first was going all round. Then dropped the bumpers off the list as they look too big for me, maybe more for bashing. Then I dropped the chassis skid because I just didn't see that much of a benefit. So I just got two packs of skids from them last week, 1 as a spare set IF a skid breaks and I`m waiting for them to send a replacement. Love that they have a lifetime warranty.

I may now have to think about getting the chassis too if its that recommended.

Last edited by Northern Adventurer; 05-07-2013 at 05:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Pavementsurfer for getting the ball rolling. Im glad I could help out by ordering the skid plats. I debated about the front and rear bumper skids. they are big and I don' know if I will keep them on. I was going to run the Summit around and see how they do. I really do like the Ironman look it gives the bottom of the truck. Everything is protected including the servos. The rear bumper skid was the only part that was a little wide where it fit between the A-arms. Nothing a Dremmel couldn't take care of. everything else fit like a glove. I have not had a chance to talk to them at T-bone I ordered everything on line. But if they are as good to deal with as the quality of their product I'm sure I won't have any problems. I hope they sell a ton of these to Summit owners.

RC Champion
    Brick, that's awesome: "the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price"! I'm going to have to remember that one.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    Got broke a front within 5 min of running it on an hidden stump in the leaves. I have skids on order now!

RC Qualifier
    Must have been a hard hit... mine are pretty scratched/beat up already. Love em.

I got 2 packs of skids for when a skid breaks

RC Qualifier
    Sory should of clarified a little better. Broke a front stock a arm in first 5 minutes so i ordered the skids

RC Qualifier
    Love my skids. No problems and I just slide over the rocks now. Only had one twig get tangled last time out. Used to be dozens of tangled twigs. Also it does add a little weight to the bottom of the Summit, I think it helps climb a little better than my stock ones. The only drawback is I can't carry the Summit with the rear bumper mount. Small price to pay.

RC Competitor
    My ONLY issue was with the hardware included attach the chassis skid. It didn't sit nearly as close as I wanted so I cut an 1/8th inch off of the female end, cleaned up the threads, and reinstalled. The skid plate sits much closer now and looks cleaner too. I also had to take some .010 safety wire and fasten the front of the skid plate to the cages that protect the servo horns. I did this because the skid plate was sitting lower than the center diff skid plate. Now they're about even and much more secure. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the purchase.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaxion911 View Post
    Sory should of clarified a little better. Broke a front stock a arm in first 5 minutes so i ordered the skids
    I did this too on the rear arm, I just took a really small drill bit and drilled a hole on both sides of the break, safety wired it, and then installed the A-skids. No more issues

RC poster
    BRICK57, what wheels/tire combo is on your Summit?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowex View Post
    BRICK57, what wheels/tire combo is on your Summit?
    Brick has the Trenchers on Tech 5 wheels. Both by Proline.

RC Qualifier
    I drilled out an old style emaxx axle and managed to slide it on to splint the break then did like you and dilled a hole on either side of the break and put 3mm nuts and bolts in each hole. Worked until today when my new arm came in at my lhs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    Brick has the Trenchers on Tech 5 wheels. Both by Proline.
    That is correctamundo. (Old 70s term, the Fonz, Ya I know to old)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Got my skid plates and here are few photos. They fit great. I didnt realize that the screws for the skids use existing screw holes in the Summit. I thought I was going to have to drill those. Soooo it was much easier than i expected. On the A-arms and front and rear plates i used tape to hold the spacers while I installed the screws. What a nice product fit like a glove, a little pricey for all but great quality. "the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a lower price."

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am curious about the body skid plate and the required screw holes. I am looking at my new Summit and indeed notice 4 holes on the underside of the truck. Are those the screw holes you are referring to? If so, I wonder why they were put there by Traxxas to begin with. Any ideas?

The 4 holes were probably to let water out of the. Battery boxes
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE