Thread: Spartan dead?

RC poster

Spartan dead?

Well New guy here, just got a new Spartan 3 weeks ago. Its been a lot of fun so far, but today it went dead.

Brand new with LiPo 6s I've run it about 6 times so far, man it's fast!
    Today I was out running for about 10 mins and I was making a half throttle run back to shore when the boat made a pretty loud popping sound and went dead in the water. I got it out about 2 minutes later as if drifted to the dock. Got it out of the water hit the gas, nothing. tried the steering nothing. I pulled the hatch of and just a slight bit of gray smoke left the boat (Not good huh). felt around nothing seamed excessively hot. Unhooked the batteries and went home. Let it dry out, put the batteries on charge (they were only down to 3.88 volts.) Charged them full plugged them back in the boats still dead. The ESC does its thing with the beeps and red and green. Ends with Green ON. So LVD is activated. But no power to anything.

Any help. I'll assume a phone call to Traxxas might be in order.

RC Qualifier
    The stock ESC's have been prone to premature failure, especially running 6S setups. Traxxas/Castle have been standing behind the warranty very well.

The puff of smoke suggests the ESC or capacitors have failed.

Call Traxxas and describe the problem, they will advise you on how to proceed. Be prepared to send in any components requested and wait for them to be tested before new components are sent your way.

Some of us have opted to go with aftermarket ESC's with higher amp ratings. So that is another option that can be considered.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 04-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply Hog, I was hoping someone would say it was the receiver portion of the boat that went bed, just because it seems to me to be the less expensive/cheapest part, more prone to a failure in my eye.
    probably be giving them a call tomorrow, hopefully whatever it is, is just a freak thing. I bought this hoping that with proper maintenance it would be trouble free. I was scared the LiPo's would be the first thing to fail on it.
    I'm new to this whole electric thing so going with an aftermarket ESC probably isn't in the cards for me just yet, maybe I'll go down to some 4S, if the 6S is the cause.

RC Qualifier
    6S isn't necessarily the cause, but 6S is running the ESC at maximum voltage, which also creates high amp draws.

Like any piece of equipment, if you run it at 70-80% of maximum output it will usually run longer, with fewer maintenance problems.

If you run full out, it can be fun, but things are prone to break, or wear out, more quickly.

If you find you are satisfied with the performance on 4S, it is a good way to shift the reliability odds in your favor.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 04-30-2013 at 05:02 PM.

RC poster
    Well Traxxas did right and fixed my stuff under warranty. Only thing that stinks is they couldn't tell me what was replaced or what caused my problem so I'm not sure what exactly I need to change to stop it from happening again.

I will say that when I took it apart the flex shaft was a little bent out of shape and I could see the heat it had caused on the casing. If that wasn't the cause I'd imagine it was a contributing factor.

Oh and while I was waiting on my parts I figured I'd get started on the upgrades. Here she is alive again!

RC Qualifier
    My Spartan did the same thing as yours. It was going along fine and dandy, when all of a sudden it stopped dead in its' tracks. My first reaction was: hmmm, what the heck, and hit the trottle. That was a mistake, because when I did my boat blew up just like in the movies...it did look kind of cool, though.

My problem turned out to be a ceased motor, and when I hit the trottle my ESC couldn't take it. Anyway, Traxxas treated me right, I did the full (plus) cooling mod thing, I run 6s Lipos', and haven't even come close (for 2 seasons) to a problem...knock on wood.

What I do now (before I get on it) is slowly make a figure "8" boat run, check my water ports, and then do as I want. I also found in the book, that if your boat suddenly stops...don't hit the thottle! If the motor or drive tube is locked up, hitting the trottle will just make things worse.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 05-20-2013 at 07:08 AM.

RC Competitor
    ive had my Spartan since 2011 running on 6s almost every weekend and the only things that have broke are a flex and a prop, after every run flex taken out and cleaned and greesed and a dab of oil on the top and bottom baring on the motor ?

RC Qualifier
    Any certain kind of oil you use for you motor bearings? Sorry new to the rc boating, will be getting a used spartan in a couple weeks and just trying to learn as much as possible....

RC Competitor
    I use some thin 25w oil just one drop on the bearing and turn the motor over with your fingers