Thread: Need new wheels

RC Competitor

Need new wheels

Hello all. I've had my summit for a few years. I've been running on 40 series mudslingers and axial narrow beadlocks. I've grown tired of the mudslingers and the beadlocks are almost dead. I'm thinking BigJoes or Trenchers. But need new wheels to go with. So I used the search button and didn't get a clear answer to my question. What are the most popular wheels used on summits now days that don't rub? Or are wheel adapters with + offset better?

RC Qualifier
    Most people use the Proline Trencher X on Desperado Rims, you can buy them pre-mounted.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Racer
    i'm currently running the trencher x's premounted on 1/2" offset desperado's as mentioned above and am quite satisfied, of course they are the first aftermarket wheels i've used on my summit. however if you prefer narrower wheels they're likely not for you.
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

RC Racer
    Same here.

RC Competitor
    I would really like some beadlocks. I was disappointed to see axial stopped making the narrow rocksters. What are the best beadlocks out atm?

RC Qualifier
    I run the trencher 40 series with the zero offset tech 5 wheels. It narrows the the vehicle by 2 inches. I find they crawl better and they have a tighter turning radius. The stock servos are able to turn the tires in almost any condition. Makes it great to crawl. I also lowered my body to help the center of gravity on the more narrow ride. I like them

RC Champion
    There ar always old stock of axial wheels on eBay.
    Also check into old pro line bead locks. Or if your cheddar is good there is always these

RC4WD ALL ALUMINUM BEADLOCKS APPROX $150 FOR THE RIMS
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

As I had my wheels off the other day thought I would compare width
    Tec 5 vs Axial rocksters
    Tec 5. 2 3/4" rocksters 2"

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The most popular rims right now are definitely the Proline Desperados. They are not a true beadlock. But they are a great looking rim that is ultra durable and comes in a 1/2 offset. I personally feel the stock summit tire (canyon AT) is a great tire for all round crawling, especially on low traction surfaces like slippery rocks and roots.

I have a set of trencher X's and like them as well... theyre great for dirt or looser surfaces IMO. They are quite wide compared the the canyon AT's. They both have their place. I run both sets of tires on the desperado rims OR the stock rims. Beadlocks are not necessary. They just require another step and assembly that complicates things further IMO.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion

Need new wheels

I have a set of trenchers on the proline rims. They are a wide tire and really did not like them. To wide and I found they really did not grip well especially in loose dirt climbing. They do not have a lot of sidewall and found them extremely stiff. Not that this helps but I quickly switched to mudslingers and mounted them on stock traxxas rims. Much better now. Hehe. If you liked the way your mudslingers worked maby find something with more sidewall? Got a friend u can borrow a set of the tires you were looking at? Even my gf liked my slingers on her summit better than the trenchers.
    Last edited by Crock; 04-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.

I'd love to put my original Trenchers up against your Mudslingers. I wouldn't mind crushing ANOTHER set of Slingers.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I'd love to put my original Trenchers up against your Mudslingers. I wouldn't mind crushing ANOTHER set of Slingers.
    Lol ...To each there own.The big tires didnt work for my terrain. My trenchers are working very well for climbing On rock.when it gets steep the big tires
    Weight and mass alone hurt my climbing abilities.i haven't run slingers so can't really compare.i ran rock crushers.too big

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 04-28-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion

Need new wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Hehe. Yep to each their own. But I ran both my summits side by side with the slingers and the trenchers. Exact same terrain and the slingers were able to go much easier through the terrain. Where the trenchers had to use lockers way more

I'm finding the opposite the weight and size of the tire is helping but I'm not doing a lot of rock crawling but do have a few. Most of mine is treed, creak beds, mud, you name it I seem to have it in my back yard. Hehe. I still have the option of trimming lugs to increase traction and reduce weight

I trimmed the trenchers recently as they are getting a bit worn.it helped a fair bit.
    My trenchers are broke in really good. lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried