Thread: LIPO charger

RC Competitor

LIPO charger

Hey guys so I think I wanna make the jump from NiMH to Lipo.

I have about a year of experience with electric RC and 5 years of Nitro.

I am thinking of getting the traxxas all in one style charger that can do
    two lipos at once. Does this seem like a good charger?

Does anyone have any other recommendations ?

Thanks a lot guys!

I love my Traxxas EZ Peak PLus 6amp charger. Sure, there is better chargers out there, but not at that price. No issues with mine, it's great!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    It really depends on how many lipos you want to charge at once, how many cells and mah your lipos are and how fast you want to charge your lipos. If you plan on staying in the hobby and going with 1/10th scale or larger sized batteries it would be wise to do your homework and spend a little extra money and buy a charger capable of charging larger batteries.

This is a great article on how to choose a battery charger. http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-chargers.html

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the replies! I am leaning towards the EZ Peak PLus 6 am charger.

Can you elaborate on what features it does not have that I may want if I where to
    decide to get a 1/10 scale car?

Also can you recommend some other chargers? Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Icharger is a solid charger at a reasonable price and will charge everything. I got one when they first came out and its still going strong. have charged my mini summit batteries, helicopter batteries, nimh, nicad, my fullsize car battery, transmitter batteries etc. Cheaper chargers can have problems charging the batteries correctly. My MRC charger was a great deal until i found out it overcharged the lipo batteries.

That traxxas charger doesn't look bad, but for about the same price you can get an Icharger. The difference is the traxxas is only 80 watts charge power while the icharger is 250watts. Not a huge deal when dealing with smaller batteries, but when dealing with bigger batteries you will want those watts. If you have to charge 2 3s 5000mah packs, you will appreciate 10amp charge capability and if you go to larger batteries above 3s, it will take forever to charge.

Traxxas is AC power though so you won't need to charge off a car battery or get a powersupply although server supplies are available ready to go relatively cheaply.
    Last edited by robl45; 04-28-2013 at 12:39 AM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks a lot I will look into the icharger! Any links or specific model?

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    as a side note, if you don't want to go to your car battery for 12v input, you can get one of these:
    12v 47A power supply

for $50 (i am assuming you are in the US), its going to last you a very long time in the hobby. James at feathermerchant is great to deal with, he can solder 4mm banana plugs for a few bucks and make it ready to run.

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    i always over-do things, plus i leave the difficult soldering to others

RC Qualifier
    I have two of the icharger 106B's and they are really good chargers. When charging lipo's it needs to be A balance charger/discharger and have an LCD to be able to Know what your batteries are doing. Like volts per cell, how many mah your putting into them and how much your discharging them. The icharger 106B is 10 amps as stated by robl45, so depending how large the batteries are and how fast you want to charge them you can charge more than one at A time with A balance board. When I bought mine A year ago they were $40. I almost went with the 20 amp version but decided on two 10's so I could start my batteries at different times without affecting the one that is still charging. With A 10 amp charger you will only need A 10 amp power supply.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 04-28-2013 at 06:14 AM.

RC Competitor
    With the 106B will I need an external power supply for AC (in home) as well?

RC Qualifier
    You will need a 10 amp supply if you aren't planning to charge batteries over 12 volts, with 6s batteries, you would need a higher supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    I have two of the icharger 106B's and they are really good chargers. When charging lipo's it needs to be A balance charger/discharger and have an LCD to be able to Know what your batteries are doing. Like volts per cell, how many mah your putting into them and how much your discharging them. The icharger 106B is 10 amps as stated by robl45, so depending how large the batteries are and how fast you want to charge them you can charge more than one at A time with A balance board. When I bought mine A year ago they were $40. I almost went with the 20 amp version but decided on two 10's so I could start my batteries at different times without affecting the one that is still charging. With A 10 amp charger you will only need A 10 amp power supply.

RC Qualifier
    Next to the adapter input it says max <6 amps with resettable fuse. I guess I should pay more attention to my own stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan47 View Post
    With the 106B will I need an external power supply for AC (in home) as well?
    Charger needs input 12-18V DC

RC Competitor
    I bought an Onyx 245 dual charger and love it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I don't suggest those for LiPo due to its lack of a storage feature.

iCharger is a great line... I have the 206B.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

You don't really need a storage feature, you can easily run a pack a little bit and get it down to storage level, there is no magic behind it. I didn't do RC for over 2 years and left my packs. Came back and 1 out of 6 had puffed. I've used the storage feature exactly once on the charger. Its nice to have it, but certainly not a must have.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the input guys! Might just get the Traxxas one for now to get my feet wet and learn a little more about the
    world of lipo. Thank you. Unless my LHS has the icharger line if they do I will look into it.

RC Competitor
    When should you put the batterys in "storage mode"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuppa View Post
    Any time your not going to use them for more than A day. But, I have accidentally forgot to discharge some for my heli's for 4 months and it didn't seem to have hurt them, they still take A full charge and last as long in the heli's same as ever. I guess I got lucky.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuppa View Post
    If they are fully charged and you're not going to use them within a couple of days you should probably discharge them to the storage voltage.

If after a run the individual cells end up at a resting voltage of 3.4 volts or less per cell you should probably charge them up to the storage voltage.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan47 View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys! Might just get the Traxxas one for now to get my feet wet and learn a little more about the
    world of lipo. Thank you. Unless my LHS has the icharger line if they do I will look into it.
    Hyperion is another good brand worth considering.

RC Competitor

I don't think I really need storage mode for now. When I run the Merv, I stop at first sign of voltage cut off..... which is right around 3.7. Perfect for storage from what I've read. It may not be a foolproof method since the esc can go bad but it's what I'm doing for now. I do really like the charger though and the storage mode is the only thing lacking.... unfortunately.

Most of the time when I need to use the storage feature is not when the RC is still working.

RC Competitor
    Most of the time when I need to use the storage feature is not when the RC is still working.
    That's a good point. Anything you can recommend for us without the discharge feature on our chargers?

To bring voltage down; 12v automotive light bulb(s) wired with a battery connector and a low voltage alarm that is adjustable to 3.8v/cell.

To bring voltage up; your closely monitored charger.

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    You don't really need a storage feature, you can easily run a pack a little bit and get it down to storage level, there is no magic behind it. I didn't do RC for over 2 years and left my packs. Came back and 1 out of 6 had puffed. I've used the storage feature exactly once on the charger. Its nice to have it, but certainly not a must have.
    It is strongly suggested that the safest possible advice be given regarding LiPo and other batteries, especially when possibly dealing with inexperienced persons.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =