RC Racer

Question Gear change needed if UNlocked?

Hey Guys,

Ive been running my XO-1 for almost a week now, and I just love it. Ive ran it on 4S at first, then I ran it on 5S and this weekend I ran it at 6S (locked)...

If I UNlock it, and I only want to try to go maybe 70 to 75 MPH - do I need to do a gear change or can I run the XO-1 unlocked with the stock gear and not have any issues? Again, I dont care to do 100MPH - I just dont want to mess with the gears, because I do alot of drifting, and not just high speed runs.

Thanks!
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Yes you need a gear change. A 21 tooth pinion will get it to 77mph on fresh charge then it will go down to about 72 mph as batterys get low. 14 tooth won't cut it.

I use a 24T gear on mine and am very happy. Its exactly in the middle of the factory and 100mph gearing.

If you're going to use it for drifting I would probably keep the gearing a tad lower than 24. The 21T suggested above would probably be just right.

RC Racer
    Guys - can someone please provide me with a part # for the 21T pinion?

Thanks!
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    i dont think traxxas offers one , you will have to get it from a differnt supplier . go on ebay or google , Mod1 21t pinion 5mm shaft and your find all kinds of options .
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Racer
    Could anyone tell me which they would choose:

Castle Gear (steel): http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...CSE010-0065-12

Novak Gear (steel): http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=NVK5115

Team Durango (aluminum): http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...de=TDRTD310357
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Go with castle gear. In my opinion they make em the best. I deffinatley wouldn't go with aluminum though. I had aluminum and it bent in half. No joke.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    I use a 24T gear on mine and am very happy. Its exactly in the middle of the factory and 100mph gearing.
    Where did you buy the 24t?

I honestly do not know, a friend gave it to me. One of those random loose parts in the bottom of the tool box. It is black with a white "24" stamped on it, no manufacturer is listed. There are many many many companies that make gears. You need a mod 1 pinion gear with a 5mm opening for the motor shaft. From what I've found most all 1/8 pinions for buggies and monster trucks will work. Make sure it is a mod 1 though, the mod .8 will not work.

RC Racer
    TireSlinger - would this 24T pinion work DSMing91?

http://www.rcplanet.com/Xtra_Hard_5m..._p/rrp8724.htm
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer

RC poster
    Thanks guys.

RC poster
    There are many many many companies that make gears. You need a mod 1 pinion gear with a 5mm opening for the motor shaft. From what I've found most all 1/8 pinions for buggies and monster trucks will work. Make sure it is a mod 1 though, the mod .8 will not work.

Thanks. I will look around.

RC poster
    Last edited by DSMing91; 05-16-2013 at 10:19 PM.

As long as it has a 5mm motor shaft opening and a "mod 1" or "1 mod" tooth size you should be good to go. Unfortunately I cannot verify specific non-Traxxas items or brands that will or will not work.

As long as it has a 5mm motor shaft opening and a "mod 1" or "1 mod" tooth size you should be good to go. Unfortunately I cannot verify specific non-Traxxas items or brands that will or will not work.
    I can note that a 5mm-bore Integy pinion that a friend bought for his Summit was not bored 5mm all the way through. It tapered to somewhere between 4.8 & 4.9mm and therefore would not fit on a 5mm motor shaft. I'd avoid them.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =