RC poster

wheel whobble, but it's not the hub....

ok, so i'm still new to the rc scene. but I noticed my rear driveshafts were bent and which is what I thought was causeing the wheels to wobble. I replaced both rear ds's (complete shaft kit) and replaced the anodized blue hubs and and splines. but the wheel still whobbles, badly. so bad the rear suspension shakes hard enough to rattle itself off my work bench .....

so here's the question, is it possible for a plastic wheel to warp? when I lay it on a flat surface it doesn't seem warped, it lays flat on the surface. I know the wheel is out of balance by around 5 grams (gravity tested lol) but that's not causing the wheel wobble. any ideas or has this happened to anyone?

<-----remember, newbie lol, be gentle

Take the rear wheels off and slowly give it just a little bit of throttle. Carefully watch the axle and hub for movement. If it spins true then install the wheel and see if it wobbles. If it does then it is probably a bent rim. To verify just swap a rim you know is running true to the axle in question and see what happens.

I've bent rims before in a hard enough wreck.

RC Champion
    It's best to balance the wheels. Also, I've never had an RC car where the drivetrain was completely true. You'll always have some vibration.
    Jeremy

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    Take the rear wheels off and slowly give it just a little bit of throttle. Carefully watch the axle and hub for movement. If it spins true then install the wheel and see if it wobbles. If it does then it is probably a bent rim. To verify just swap a rim you know is running true to the axle in question and see what happens.

I've bent rims before in a hard enough wreck.
    good advice. I took the rear wheels off and put them on th front and vice versa and the rear wheels (now mounted to the front) wobble as if they are on the rear and the front tires I put on the rear barely wobble. so I'm going to assume the rear rims are toast.

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    It's best to balance the wheels. Also, I've never had an RC car where the drivetrain was completely true. You'll always have some vibration.
    so just balance the wheels the same as I would a 1:1 real life car wheel with lead weights? just glue them to the inside of the rim?

so just balance the wheels the same as I would a 1:1 real life car wheel with lead weights? just glue them to the inside of the rim?
    Sure, that would work. Most people use small clay weights.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Or golf club weights.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    You can go to a craft store and get modeling clay. It sticks pretty good and shouldn't take much. Use a little at a time and stuff it into the inside of one of the spokes as far towards the outside of the wheel as possible until it's balanced. You want to add the clay opposite to the part of the wheel that naturally rotates and stops at the bottom. I hope I'm explaining this right.
    Last edited by ponie1992; 05-17-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Jeremy