RC Competitor

Need lipo battery recommendations

Hi Everybody,

Need recommendations for my spartan. I have a leopard 4092 (hot motor) with a seawing ESC and an Ocutura 443.. Last year, I was running the Traxxas 8400 packs but sadly, all of mine have discharged and are fairly useless at this time. Should I stay with the Traxxas packs or move to something else? I see that folks like the SPCs and Gens Ace. Any recommendations that you have (manufacture and mah are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

Matt
    Running wild with a Spartan and MERV!

RC Competitor
    Decided to go with the Maxamps 8000 MAH Spartan package. Will let you know how it goes.

--Matt

RC Qualifier
    I reccomend Gens Ace, still going strong after 40+ runs. You need to take care of your lipos, dont discharge them all the way and after they cool down, you should storage charge them before you put them away for the day. Most lipos should last 200+ cycles if well taken care of.

RC Racer
    I have been using gens acs 3s 5000 mah for over two years now with no problems.

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x 3. Mini revo and summit
    E-Maxx kershaw 700`s 4x2 slash 4x4 slash vxl

RC Champion
    SPC makes amazing batteries at a great price. My favorite brand.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    Thanks to everybody for their recommendations. I could not find any SPC's or Gens Ace in stock anywhere, so went with the Maxamps 8000. Hopefully, they will arrive this week. Weather is finally getting nice here in MD.

RC Qualifier
    hey mojogator where in Md are you? i am close to college park if you know where that is.i run the spc 8200 50c 2s batteries in mine and they are great. i have been running mine at Greenbelt lake if you have ever been there.

RC Competitor
    Hey hopduprevo,

I am in Clarksburg (north of Germantown) so we are pretty close. I go run at Black Hills. Got my Maxamps in so I will need to try them out. Maybe we can catch up sometime and race.

--Matt

RC Qualifier
    yeah that would be nice.i know exactly where clarksburg is our company uses the crane company there all the time plus my mother lives in urbana.not exactly sure where black hills is but maybe one day we could hook up and let em eat.i just got mine like 2 or 3 weeks ago.what have you done to yours?i've only have done the dual water inlet/outlet mod and the octura x442 prop.i ordered the .187 flex cable and coupler from jeff wohlts and the bigger stuffing tube with liner.i already have been looking at the upgrade on ose esc and motor combo but i think this thing already hauls butt.
    Last edited by hopduperevo; 05-05-2013 at 11:33 PM.

RC Competitor
    Black Hills is the reservoir about 4 minutes away from the crane company and is a pretty nice place to run. Plus, you can rent a row boat in case you capsize . Lets DM and we can figure out a time and place we can link up.

Regarding mods, I too did the dual water mod and am running the octura prop. I bought but have not gone to the .187 flex cable (heard a wire drive is coming, so might just go to that). I am running quad trim tabs and highly recommend doing that as it will make it run a whole lot smoother at speed. I am using the ones from benchmark rc. I also have the seawing esc from OSE but went with the Panther 4092 vs 4082. This was a very fast and stable configuration.

New for this year, I just got in the MaxAmps 8000 MAH 150 C batteries and will be trying those out this shortly. I am a collector of comic art and my little girl's favorite hero is the Black Widow, so I have an artist creating some custom artwork that I will get turned into decals for the deck and sides. My goal (as soon as the artwork is done) is to paint the boat black and red and then decal it. This way, if I crack the hull or anything, I can get additional decals done and it just a matter of repainting the boat and redecoing it. I will post pics as I start getting into that phase of the project.

--Matt

RC Qualifier
    how did you find the holes for the second set of trim tabs?i tried the flaslight method but really couldn't see the holes.i think i need a very bright light then cover it so it only shines in the boat.i have read that the quad trim tabs help alot.i have only had mine for like 3 weeks now and had it out 2 times but i love this thing.i charged more batteries yesterday thinking i was getting to go out again but lifed happened and didn't get a chance to go so i am gonna try and go after dinner since the lake is 5 mins from my house and gonna try 6s finally.yeah we will def have to try and hook up.sounds like you have a plan on the new boat scheme i think it'll look B.A.what size kv is the panther 4092? i thought the ose combo was a good choice at least i read that it was