RC poster

Repair/Upgrade Recommendations

I was fortunate enough to find a slightly used Slayer Pro at a barn sale where I live for $125. I have been playing with it for a few weeks now and I just stripped the spur gear out, so I am ready to not only buy a spur gear but a sway bar kit, tires and other common components that are recommended to keep on hand. I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and would like to get input from you experienced guys.

First things first, I want to replace the spur gear and also have one or two more on hand. I see they have a 36t, 38t and 40t gear and if I am reading right, the lower the number the faster the top end speed, is that right? I am really not interested in speeding this thing up but I wouldn’t mind having the a higher speed gear on hand if I find a place with the space to hit top speed. What is the stock gear for the Slayer? And what gear should I get if I find a faster course and want a higher top speed? Also, one of the three pads behind the gear, slipper clutch? is missing so I was also going to get the heavy duty slipper clutch kit, part #5352R, is this a better choice than the stock one?

Next, of the two sway bar kits, Traxxas and Tekno, which do you recommend and why?

From what I am reading on tires, it sounds like it can be a complicated process. Let’s assume most of my driving will be on dirt, gravel and mud. I have been reading up on tires and I have been wondering why no one has mentioned the 14mm T-Maxx tires I have been finding on ebay? It appears the older models used the 14mm hex lugs and not the 17mm hubs, is this right? And if so, will these bolt right on to a stock slayer? Or if you get the rims with ½ inch or 1 inch offset, wouldn’t this resolve the issue of deeper tires rubbing against the A arms? I wouldn’t mind buying the 17mm adapter kit, is this the better route considering the wide selection of tires in 17mm?

So to boil down my questions about tires, what’s a good standard size upgrade tire/rim? And what’s a good oversized/offset tire/rim/adapter?

Lastly, I was going to buy some spare filter inserts, glow plugs and other misc items that looked worn on my Slayer. One item was the dust boots on the tire/axle connector. I also wanted a few spare glow plugs, are the super duty long plugs a good plug to keep on hand? And what other components would you recommend to keep on hand on parts that commonly need replaced?

Thanks in advance
    Theo

Welcome to the fourms! Wow, at $125, you got a GREAT deal! I would get the stock spur gear, so it will stay the same. The lower teeth count spur gear increases top speed, and lessens the acceration. So, a larger spur gear teeth count will increase the acceration, but decrease the top speed. Personaly, I would get the Traxxas sway bar kit, because I was designed by the people that made the truck in the first place. As for tires, there is people on here that know more than I do, and they should chime in. Yes, it's good to keep a few spare oiled air filters and glow plugs on hand, just in case. I would keep a spare thing of fuel line, and maybe a extra carb just in case one of those gets a hole in them. Just IMO though. Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, we are here to help!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Stock spur is 36t. If you are putting on the tmaxx tires I would recommend the 38t spur (for more torq). Also if you plan on running mt tires you should also upgrade the clutch to the 3 shoe alum. I run losi ten t wheels/tires and there perfect for the slayer, same height as stock tires but much wider. There also 14mm hex. I run stock gearing and it's great. Any faster and would be out of control IMO.

RC Qualifier
    Tire wise Id prob look into some 1/8 buggy tires. But with those you'd have to get the 17mm adapters. The ones for the revo work great. I run 1/8 duratrax lockups on my slayer with Integy +12mm hub extensions, they are kind of a pro line bad lands knock off....But really all depends on the terrain you are going to be running on...And there's alot more options out there for the 17mm hex...

RC poster
    Thanks for the replys! I had a local hobby shop that had most of the parts I needed so I picked up a 36t and a 38t gear, the slipper clutch rebuild kit, the Traxxas sway bar kit, some extra gas line, 3 spare air filters, some 50 weight oil and a spare glow plug. They had the 17mm adapters but no tires to go with them so I held off of those for now.

I do have a few more questions though, looking at the bag of stuff that came with it, I noticed it had a spare bell/gear that was smaller than the one currently mounted and the striped gear was the 36t gear. I also noticed the new 38t gear I bought was larger and when I tried to mount the 38t gear to the current larger bell/gear that was mounted, the fit seemed a little tight, so I took that one off and mounted the smaller spare gear and it seemed to be a better fit. My question is, how many combinations of bell/gear and spur gear are there? And how do I make sure I have the right combination?

I don’t want to cause any damage, so I want to wait until I know for sure I have the right combination before I attempt to run it.

Also, last time I ran it, I shortened the gas line because it looked too long and when I asked the guy at the hobby shop why the gas line was so long he said it was so it wouldn’t die right away if it flipped over, is this right? And is this the only reason? And what is the proper length? The new gas line I bought is 2 feet long.

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    Also, last time I ran it, I shortened the gas line because it looked too long and when I asked the guy at the hobby shop why the gas line was so long he said it was so it wouldn’t die right away if it flipped over, is this right? And is this the only reason? And what is the proper length? The new gas line I bought is 2 feet long.
    The revo and slayer are designed as a racing truck the fuel line length is so the engine will stay running for a short time if you flip over so a turn marshal can get to your truck and turn it back over. In a race if the engine dies you're done.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    I like my robinson racing gear setup. The slipper clutch is like direct drive and i bash my truck till breaking point. I was going through bells and spurs like crazy with alluminum clutches so i got the hardened steel gears, went back to the plastic for the bell and what they supplied for the slipper and with the acer ceramic bearings never had a problem since. As for the slipper clutch from them i haven't needed to change it out yet. Def 5 star and Def a recomendation on my end.

I always seem to run out of fuel before it can break......
    Last edited by Reilly630; 05-14-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.