RC Enthusiast

Brushless Upgrade

First off, greetings to everyone and thanx for providing so much helpful and insightful info. I'm a noob and I will admit that I'm VERY CONFUSED! I will also admit that I'm trying to find a "lesser expensive" route to converting my Monster Jam to a brushless setup. I'm trying to be politically correct and optimistic at the same time although that seems like an oxymoron...is that even possible? So, I say "lesser expensive" rather than cheap. At any rate, I already have 2s & 3s LiPo and LiFePo batteries and I've seen the difference they make from performance to run time. WOW! What a difference! I'm looking at many different "lesser expensive" brushless motors and most seem to be sensored and I'd rather go sensorless (personal preference). The Titan is brushed and 12T. From the research I've done (and I'm no mad scientist), 12T and 3300KV seem to be the sweet spot? Problem is that I can find one or the other but not both. What "T's" and "KV's" are alternatives from a brushless standpoint? I like the Velineon, Castle, And Tek products but they come with a hefty price tag. Please post some possible alternatives.

Respectfully,
    Kenneth

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    What is your price range? You can go with bargain basement (questionable durability) china 60$ combos to 110$ for a castle sv3/3800kv or 4600kv setup. Try to get a motor in the 2700kv -4600kv range. You can adjust the gearing to compensate for the different kv rates, and keep it cool. There are some decent setups in the 80-90$ range, but I have no experience with those. The castle is at the high end of the budget range, but adjust-ability, performance, durability, and customer service are great and well worth the extra 25-50$ imo. Know that the lowest budget systems may wind up being throw away items if they break, as customer service can be lacking, and shipping it back overseas can cost more than 1/2 of the original price. Not to mention waiting a long time for international shipping both ways...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    I think I would wait to get either the Velineon combo or the castle sv3 they both are really durable and worth the extra money.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been eyeing both those combos; Castle because of their extremely excellent customer service and Traxxas because it's Traxxas. Neither are hardly in stock from what I've gathered lately but I'll keep and eye out. Next Wed is my target date since that's my $$$ day! Thanx again for the advice and info. I can't wait to go brushless. None of my helis are brushless and haven't been since 2005.

I think everyone goes to tekin or castle eventually. Just pick your poison and pull the trigger because you can't go wrong with either.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Does Traxxas still offer the vxl and esc on trade for the XL5 parts? How much?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    What is your price range? You can go with bargain basement (questionable durability) china 60$ combos to 110$ for a castle sv3/3800kv or 4600kv setup. Try to get a motor in the 2700kv -4600kv range. You can adjust the gearing to compensate for the different kv rates, and keep it cool. There are some decent setups in the 80-90$ range, but I have no experience with those. The castle is at the high end of the budget range, but adjust-ability, performance, durability, and customer service are great and well worth the extra 25-50$ imo. Know that the lowest budget systems may wind up being throw away items if they break, as customer service can be lacking, and shipping it back overseas can cost more than 1/2 of the original price. Not to mention waiting a long time for international shipping both ways...
    I've been checking out castle stuff rag6 but they don't appear to do much water proof stuff, is the sv3/3800kv a water proof combo???

T.A.C
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Team arsy car View Post
    I've been checking out castle stuff rag6 but they don't appear to do much water proof stuff, is the sv3/3800kv a water proof combo???

T.A.C
    The SV3 sidewinder is water proof....the only think that is not will be the fan like the mm2
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...dewinder3.html
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-26-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

If it has got to be waterproof, then you'd better stick with the Traxxas velineon. Castle has only just started to make waterproof esc's so I'm a little leery of that so far. The traxxas esc is proven to be waterproof.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm leaning more toward the Velineon system over the Castle system because it's more readily available & seemingly more proven...? I don't "plan" on submerging it in water but I am a noob so you never know. Tekin is out of my price range at this juncture.

RC Enthusiast
    If the military discount still applies, Tekin will get my $$$. Does anyone know if they still offer it? Also, forgive all the questions but what are the advantages of running Tekin over Castle and Velineon? I know the other two are waterproof. I'm sure I'll grow into it but I'm too green at this juncture. The old saying might apply here; buy cheap & buy twice. Buy right & all is nice!

RC Qualifier
    When you upgrade from Titan 12t to Brushless, should you upgrade the driveshaft and get the metal yokes too? Or does the stock XL-5 parts handle ok?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingDad View Post
    When you upgrade from Titan 12t to Brushless, should you upgrade the driveshaft and get the metal yokes too? Or does the stock XL-5 parts handle ok?
    I could be wrong here, so here I go.
    I looked at the Stampede VXL, got hold of the pinion and spur gear as they are different to the brushed ones, as for drive shafts I will look into the Traxxas CVD sealed drive lines if they are available, we just fitted them to our Rustler and they look the goods. I went alloy at all corners with bearings, replaced shock caps with alloy, and put the fibreglass reinforcing dogbone and suspension pin kit across the front A-Arms. The truck has everything now but the brushless, however it is in the mail (120amp ESC and 3800kv 4-pole motor) Needless I say we are waiting in expectation for it, as we call it "The Jam is about to get serious"

Any other upgrades guys would be good.

T.A.C

RC Qualifier
    I had the same question when I upgraded, so I called up traxxas and they said you don't have to upgrade anything else.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Enthusiast
    I took a chance on the Duratrax Onyx 1/10 80A/3650kV 4-Pole SC System. Tower has the easy pay option and the system is a great price so I pulled the trigger. It's supposed to be here Thursday so I'll report back once it's installed and I've had a chance to test it. The 80/540A continuous/burst numbers got my attention and being waterproof was definitely a big plus. I did a lot of reading and research before finally choosing so I hope it's as robust as it looks on paper. Thanx again for all the advice and suggestions.

RC Qualifier
    Water proof made my decision for me, as I have learnt (as a bad driver) that if I even look at a puddle of water then I am going to steer the truck right through the middle of it.

HW SC8 & 3400kv motor combo (I know, you get what you pay for) but as we say "I'll keep you posted"
    Never did like big brand names anyway - except for Traxxas of course.

RC poster
    Been looking at going brushless as well, is this a good deal/combo?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...category/3608/

Whats the difference between the SC system and SV3?

This would be for backyard bashing for a 10yr old on Nihm.

RC Qualifier
    The main difference is that the SCT is not waterproof, the SV3 is. I don't know the technical details beyond that though.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_dad View Post
    Been looking at going brushless as well, is this a good deal/combo?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...category/3608/

Whats the difference between the SC system and SV3?

This would be for backyard bashing for a 10yr old on Nihm.
    From what I've read, that's a very nice combo but that ESC isn't waterproof as I recall. There's a YouTube vid that explains how to waterproof an ESC so if you're a tinkerer, I say go for it!

As for getting what you pay for, that worx both ways. You can pay a lot for crap & get a sleeper for a steal so just give it time & see what you have.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txkawboi View Post
    From what I've read, that's a very nice combo but that ESC isn't waterproof as I recall. There's a YouTube vid that explains how to waterproof an ESC so if you're a tinkerer, I say go for it!

As for getting what you pay for, that worx both ways. You can pay a lot for crap & get a sleeper for a steal so just give it time & see what you have.
    Thanks! Not to worried about the waterproofing, think I'll spend the money and get this one. Do I need to regear it? What would be good, think its stock currently.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not sure because I'm a green noob but from what I've read on this forum, you should be ok with stock gearing & 2S. I'm sure someone will chime in...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_dad View Post
    Thanks! Not to worried about the waterproofing, think I'll spend the money and get this one. Do I need to regear it? What would be good, think its stock currently.
    Guys we need help here
    For me, I will start with the pede 2wd VXL gearing, until I get it worked out. I've been posting my self to sleep trying to get my head around kv,c rating,constant,burst,amperage,gearing ect ect ect, all of which and more I guess will become second nature as you progress with the hobby.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The 3800 will pretty much work with any gearing on 2s. It is a very forgiving motor for gearing. Just keep an eye on esc temps when gearing way up. That motor runs cool.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    I got the motor, esc, & programming card yesterday but due to ordering @ 2:00 in the morning, I didn't pay attention to the 5mm shaft. Needless to say, I got one today along with a few other tidbits to beef up the 4 corners, suspension, & drivetrain due to the brushless upgrade. I'm looking forward to some fun times once the work is complete!

When the stock 2wd driveshafts break, and they will eventually, replace them with the HD driveshafts for the Slash 4x4. They drop right in and are beefier than the 2wd shafts. Before the HD shafts were released I would add the steel output + 2wd shafts for extra strength, but the HD shafts are the better and easier and cheaper route.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    When the stock 2wd driveshafts break, and they will eventually, replace them with the HD driveshafts for the Slash 4x4. They drop right in and are beefier than the 2wd shafts. Before the HD shafts were released I would add the steel output + 2wd shafts for extra strength, but the HD shafts are the better and easier and cheaper route.
    Mates bad driving today managed to snap a brand new HD stub axle, I guess that's what happens when you hit things flat out. Broke the rear one too, car did a complete back flip and landed on its wheels, it all looked good until he gassed it and the wheel went running off down the track. Oh well we got a good laugh out of it, and 10 minutes later we were racing again.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by txkawboi View Post
    First off, greetings to everyone and thanx for providing so much helpful and insightful info. I'm a noob and I will admit that I'm VERY CONFUSED! I will also admit that I'm trying to find a "lesser expensive" route to converting my Monster Jam to a brushless setup.
    I am also confuused...
    and looking for a cheap upgrade...
    try castle sidewiner sv3 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Does Traxxas still offer the vxl and esc on trade for the XL5 parts? How much?
    I don't think this was answered. it is here.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Enthusiast
    As the old "chocolate folk" would say; HAM MERCY LAWD! lol This thing is ridiculously fast & I have no earthly idea of it's actual speed but man is it dog gone stinkin' FAST!!! If you're thinking about going brushless, DON'T THINK! JUST DO IT! Unless you suffer from tachophobia (fear of speed), brushless is the way to go. Fast and care free operation! No brushes to worry about and all the speed the average Joe (or Ken in my case) can muster! I got the program card with the package so it was a cinch to program. I had a harder time understanding some of the a couple of the features (noob) but I've got it set up mild until I can get the hang of things. I can't imagine what 3s must be like...