RC Qualifier

Question How to go About Making a Track

Hey guys! This is a thread more about questions, and I figured many of you veterans could assist me with this. I was thinking about putting a practice track in for my Slash and Rustler, to practice for the big races on the weekends. I see people pulling sod out, Round-Upping grass, and all these other methods for making a track. We just got rid of our trampoline, so that won't be a problem anymore. There is a small dead patch of grass where the sod is just gone, and I was figuring I would start there. I will sketch up a design tomorrow, but what method would your guys recommend to me? I don't have any cash for renting anything, but my Dad does know a guy in the lawn care business so I figure having him help won't be a problem.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Use a shovel! Just kidding, use machines if you can. Read this thread, it might help. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-RC-Car-Track!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the help, I figured killing all the grass in my track would work best at first, but laying out some tubing to mock up the design won't be a bad idea either.

666th post! Is this a bad sign?! :P
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    If you don't have access to machinery just grab a shovel and a rake then start digging the layout but while plotting the layout think where you're going to put jumps and what kind of jumps so you have room before jumps etc. also so you have some type of sections for speed not just turning and jumping the whole track

RC Racer
    One thing I learned is try not to make anything too permanent at first. Get a layout made and take a few laps or a couple days of running and just keeping working out the kinks and making little or major changes until you have a track that is to your liking.

I changed the complete layout of my track minus one section 4 times over the course of a month until I got it just right for the area I had to work with.

And I used a shovel and a rake the old fashioned way haha.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I have the majority of my back yard to work with, I figured I would build it next to my shed. I'll snap some pics when I get home from school, but I went to bed last night thinking of a track design. I figured I would do plywood jumps until I can get the dirt ones, maybe a rumble section made from sticks, (like 2x4s).
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Get some extra dirt. You'll need it for banks and ramps. Also make the lanes AT LEAST 6ft wide.
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Qualifier
    I figured the more I drive on the track the more the banking will gain up, it's like that at the big track I race at. I figured I could just Round-Up the grass, drive on it to see if it is the right design I want, then go about clearing the dead sod.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    I figured I would do plywood jumps until I can get the dirt ones
    That is exactly what I did. And if I liked the jump where it was at, then I built one out of dirt in it's place. If I didn't like it I could move it around until it was in the right place. Helps to figure out distance needed for entry to the jump and landing distance too.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    At the large track I race at, he used to have plywood jumps (until he went oval). It developed a rather nice fill in between the base of the ramp and the ground.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Keep it damp all the time if possible the first few days, notice how I didn't say muddy, i said damp.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.