RC Champion

Cool looking for a sport motorcycle

Hey guys I have been looking at sport bikes "crotch rockets" and I was wondering what you guys are riding. I need something that can do highway well because I am going to need to drive 50 ish miles every day and most of it is highway. I am 16 and this would be my first bike if I can convince my parents to let me get a bike. I really like the Honda CBR 600rr, what do you guys think?
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Honda All the way!!!! The 600rr is a great bike, but my main question is do you have any kind of experience with motorcycles? What kind of bikes have you owned/ridden in the past, dirt or street? Reason I ask is because you can hurt yourself quick on a bike like a CBR. Even a 600. If you're not an experienced rider, you may want to look at something a little more tame to get your feet wet on.

RC Champion
    No i am not an experienced rider on a bike, I ride quads, but I really do not want to have to upgrade to a bigger bike once I get used to it on a ninja, but that might have to happen.

RC Qualifier
    I ride a 2007 GSXR 750. It's a great bike. A 600 isn't a beginners bike you might want to look at getting a used 250 to learn on. Ride it for a season than upgrade next year. Better safe then sorry.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    I ride a 2007 GSXR 750. It's a great bike. A 600 isn't a beginners bike you might want to look at getting a used 250 to learn on. Ride it for a season than upgrade next year. Better safe then sorry.
    +1
    Anything 600 above is not a good starter bike. You can get a 250 and learn the basics on that for a season than upgrade to a sports bike. The Kawasaki 250 looks almost like the ninja but is considered a street bike. Cheaper on insurance for you also.

Drive safely!
    Watch for other vehicles around you at all times.

RC Champion
    how much do 250's cost . $2500?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have ridden dirt bikes since I was 2... before I got hurt on snowmobiles I was a pretty decent dirt bike rider on a track and in the woods. My first street bike was a Suzuki Katana 600 (VERY tame compared to a real "sport" 600 class bike) and even with all my experience on 2 wheels I still got myself into a few very scary situations. Riding a bike on the street is not at all like riding offroad or "driving a smaller car". Its a completely different experience. If you have to be paying attention to both your surroundings (and you do, constantly) AND trying to keep a bike thats heavy and really powerful under control your way more likely to make a mistake and get hurt. WAY too many guys rush out and buy big sport bikes because they want to feel cool only to end up hurt. Start small... a Ninja 250 is a great bike thats decent on the highway. Or an EX500... also a great choice. I would suggest starting with something more upright though, like a dual sport or something a little more manoeuvrable. Get used to riding on the street and move your way up the power ladder. Starting at the top will only lead to you laying at the bottom.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    i have been looking at the honda CBR 250 and it gets better mileage than the ninja, but i have not seen very many of then compared to the ninja

RC Qualifier
    Having some motorbike experience would be very helpful. Throw your quad experience out the door Ive been riding quads for 12 years and not long ago I jumped on a CRF70 and crashed it. Everything is so so different. IMO riding a motorbike on the road is very dangerous, drivers in cars just do not see you and on a motorbike you have next to no protection. My dad is now an amputee from a motorbike accident when a car didnt see him and pulled out into an intersection t-boning him, leading to the loss of his left leg. Even being fully geared didnt help. Just keep in mind the danger and little amount of protection. Im not meaning to scare you away from motorbikes but remember to check all the avenues before you buy.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Racer
    cbr 250

RC Qualifier
    I work at a Kawasaki dealer part time, and have had a number of sport bikes. For a young guy like yourself, Id say the new Ninja 300 for insurance purposes.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

I don't think it's really going to matter what bike you get, with you being 16, full coverage insurance is going to be outrageous (more that what the monthly payment of the bike itself would be if not double or even triple).

I quoted a full coverage policy on a CBR600 Honda when I was 25years old and I have a perfect driving record no accidents or tickets and they wanted around $2500 a year for full coverage and it didn't matter what motorcycle I got the quote on. They were all within $100 difference. Needless to say I do not and probably will never own a motorcycle.

RC Qualifier
    I've never rode a dirt bike, but I've rode a motorcycle as a passenger with my dad. I know for sure that a 600 is to big for someone with no experience. I'd say start small and work up as previously said.
    You can get a Yamaha WR250R and get 70MPG, I bet that's better than the ninja or cbr.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    the cbr gets that mpg or better