Thread: Bead locks

RC Racer

Bead locks

Anyone run them? Are they hard to install? Any pics if someone has them.

Would these work
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPEJ4&P=V
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-26-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: merge
    Stampede VXL
    E MAXX - Go Big Joe's or go home!

RC Champion
    What tire?

RC Champion
    I have a set of those axial beadlocks. Easy to install,just a lot of little screws to put in. You will also have to use tires made for beadlock wheels.

RC Racer
    Prob a PL tire. Road Rage/Masher/Trencher X

Any suggestions emaxxbrushless on tires?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-27-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: merge
    Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    I guess that would depend on what type of terrain you ride on. I have a set of axial terra-izer tires mounted on mine. You can find them on ebay somtimes. heres a pic of them with the rings customized..

There not the most agressive tread thats for shore.
    The proline mashers can be hard to find to fit beadlocks and there heavy. Trenchers and roadrages will fit to but make shore you get the ones made for beadlock wheels. From what i have found theres not a lot of tires out there to fit the beadlock style wheels.

RC Racer
    I bought a set of the axial beadlocks and the proline 40 series trenchers, theyre awesome, lots of little screws but theres no glue to come undone. I even put a set on my Mini erevo and i will never glue again.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have seen tires get ripped off the rim with beadlocks... still requiring glue to keep them on.
    They also add a lot of rotating weight when compared to their glue on counterpart... reducing performance.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I run Maximizer beadlock with 3.2 mashers. Mine don't pop out at all

RC Racer
    Thanks for the help guys
    Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier

I've run mine hard for about 4 years, and have never had any trouble. I like them way better than the glued stock ones.

RC poster
    love your truck reglar! what bodyis that?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I have a black one too. They are ProLine Raptor bodies. They are made for the Traxxas Slash, but I made little adaptors for my E-Max. The only thing with the bodies (that I do different) than what comes with the kit is; I make aluminum deflectors instead of using the plastic ones that come with the body kit.

You can't see it in the photo, but on my back fenders there is blue Raptor graphics.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 04-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.

RC Enthusiast

Be careful!

As mentioned earlier, they are heavy, and the 96 screws will try your patience lol

Here's what I've learned with these:
    • You NEED 40 series tires, traxxas style beads WILL NOT FIT
    • the chrome paint flakes off easily with use
    • with aggressive tires like trenchers or big joes ( I have em) you will break some part of your driveline... I've broken all 6 over time.

With that being said, I stand by the beadlocks... They haven't let me down yet, and I usually cruise around the park at 60-65 mph ( or at least that's what the traxxas link app says)
    Last edited by jfin27; 05-02-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Pix
    1/16 E-Revo VXL(#7107)
    E-Maxx Brushless (#3908)

RC Qualifier
    You need to get the steel axles and drive shafts. I've had mine for about 4 years now, and they still work great...knock on wood. When I had the plastic ones, I blew them out in about a month.

P.S. How did you get your truck (the one above) to stick like that. I have Bead-Locks too, but I don't get that kind of traction.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 05-03-2013 at 03:20 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post

P.S. How did you get your truck (the one above) to stick like that. I have Bead-Locks too, but I don't get that kind of traction.
    I'm not sure if I'm reading it as you meant it, but traction has to do with the tires fitted... In my experience with Big Joes and Trenchers, they have a lot of grip on grass. As far as the pic being upside down, I posted them on my phone and for some reason it displays right on my phone but on my computer it shows upside down lol
    1/16 E-Revo VXL(#7107)
    E-Maxx Brushless (#3908)

RC Qualifier
    I was teasing you about your up side down picture...those are cool tires though.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    Thanks, I have a black one too. They are ProLine Raptor bodies. They are made for the Traxxas Slash, but I made little adaptors for my E-Max. The only thing with the bodies (that I do different) than what comes with the kit is; I make aluminum deflectors instead of using the plastic ones that come with the body kit.

You can't see it in the photo, but on my back fenders there is blue Raptor graphics.
    Wow that looks good, how much did you cut back the fenders and can you post a pic of this said "adapter"?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I didn't have to cut into the fenders much. I cut back to where I had about an 8th of an inch of fender trim. Where I had to cut the most though was, at the begining and end of each fender well. For example: under the front and rear lights. I had to round and widen those areas. With my suspension pushed all the way down to where my skid plates touch my work bench, my fender wells clear by an 8th of an inch.

These are the bumpers that I made, so the front and rear didn't have any big gaps, and so I could still mount my weelie wheels.