New Power Supply

I have been using an old PC power supply to power my charger and it started acting up so I went looking for something new. I ended up getting my hands on one of the Benchmark power supplies that are available from SPC. At 47 amps and 575 watts this thing is massive over kill for my ThunderPower 610c charger but hey the price was so good I could not pass it up and now I have plenty of power if I upgrade my charger in the near future . The power supply runs very quiet and does not even break a sweat powering my charger but will be putting it to more of a test when my son take it to the track this weekend to power a few of his chargers.

BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow! Nice! Your lights are going to flicker!

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Awesome. I think I'm going to order a couple of those for a friend and I. 47amps is more than any charger I can afford is ever going to need. Nice looking unit too. Nice and clean with the black wrap.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Looks very similar to the Maxamps supply I have (also 47 amps). What kind of price tag does the one from SPC have?

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape, or form a Maxamps customer. I simply got this power supply along with a Hyperion charger from a private seller for a deal I couldn't pass up.

Wow! Just checked their site and that's considerably cheaper than the comparable PSU from Maxamps. Go figure, right!

Yes the price is so right and that is really why I bought it. I dont need this much power and doubt I will even with future upgrades. My son is really wanting it though he has gotten into flying helis more and those big 6s packs he uses really beg for a powerful power supply/charger set up and when he goes to the track he likes to run multiple chargers to keep him on the track and with a fresh battery.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

I won't go into too much detail on what batteries I'm using and what-not. But I will say that I've been using that similar PSU with my Hyperion 730i-NET and charging 2S packs at 15 amps without anything so much as getting warm to the touch. Definitely plenty of power for the average hobbyist!

RC Qualifier
    Wow nice!!! should of looked harder before I got my max amps 47amp 575watt supply for my hitec x2 400 but what's done is done, at least if I need another supply in the future I know where to go

RC Racer
    I do believe that's an HP blade server power supply, just rebranded. Very nice
    Who needs brakes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oakvad View Post
    I do believe that's an HP blade server power supply, just rebranded. Very nice
    They are converted server power supplies. I believe they are only available at SPC but I found more information about them HERE
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Yep. Cool deal. I've been getting ready to pop for one on e bay and convert it myself but for a couple extra bucks I'm just gonna get a couple of these.
    Who needs brakes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oakvad View Post
    Yep. Cool deal. I've been getting ready to pop for one on e bay and convert it myself but for a couple extra bucks I'm just gonna get a couple of these.
    Good call, the work done looks top notch and professional, IMO this is a good bargain on a good product.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    This is a great deal. Was wondering how they kept the price so low... Being that these are made from used server supply units, better get em while their hot, just encase the supply dries up... Hopefully it wont ever, but you never know!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

So I was talking to my friend who just got into rc, and is turning into a proper rc nut. He really likes my hyperion 720i charger and is thinking about getting one. It maxes out at 20a. Could this supply support (2) 20a chargers of of 1 channel? It would be cool if we could run both chargers off of 1 supply from our generator at the track... We would prob charge 4 2s packs @ 10 amps each at 1 time.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    So I was talking to my friend who just got into rc, and is turning into a proper rc nut. He really likes my hyperion 720i charger and is thinking about getting one. It maxes out at 20a. Could this supply support (2) 20a chargers of of 1 channel? It would be cool if we could run both chargers off of 1 supply from our generator at the track... We would prob charge 4 2s packs @ 10 amps each at 1 time.
    Two 20 amps chargers would be 40 amps this is rated at 47 amps so I would say yes. My son took it to the track with him tonight and will be doing exactly what you are asking about with a pair of chargers one of them being a 720i. I'll know for sure when he gets home and tells me about it in the morning.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    As a general rule, so long as the maximum output amperage rating of a power supply is not exceeded by the combined amp draw of the connected chargers, you'll be okay.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I dont see a problem RAG6 it has a max of 47amps, only thing i see not working perhaps is if your chargers need higher than 12v to operate at their peak off just 1 supply as you would be pulling near or the max of this unit.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Nice! I thought maybe it had to have multiple, separate channels or something.

If he gets the same exact model charger as me, they can be linked together to charge up to 14s. Or (7) 2s packs at once splitting that 40a I believe.

RC Qualifier
    Single they can charge a 3s at about 40a and 6s about 20...

New Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    If he gets the same exact model charger as me, they can be linked together to charge up to 14s. Or (7) 2s packs at once splitting that 40a I believe.
    That's a question for the Hyperion boys.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-26-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Do these power supplies come with multiple outputs? Or do you just split the single output? I have a splitter, just wasnt sure how these were setup on that end.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

You can connect to chargers to the PS via 4mm bullets has it comes without using a splitter. Each post will accept two bullet plugs.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Well the power supply did well last night at the track. My son had powering 3 chargers pulling a calculated 40 amps and it did just fine. The supply comes with a jumper so you can change the fan speed, it was set on the quiet or low speed and even with 3 chargers being powered off of it on the low speed the power supply stayed nice and cool like it was hardly even working.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Sounds like the psu is a keeper then. Nice to have that feature of the fan being slowed to keep noise down I know mine is loud like a mini jet engine in my room haha. 3 chargers at 40 amps total was pretty good I did only 25 amps on mine and was cool. Has 57.3 amps don't think I will Max that unless I hook up 3 chargers like your son did. Thanks for the review and results on the psu
    DEU 8:18 ESV