Thread: So excited!

RC Racer

Wink So excited!

So I'm at school right now. After school my dad is bringing me to the LHS to pick up my VERY FIRST RC! It's a Slash VXL and he's buying me an extra body and maybe tires as an early birthday gift. I don't know if I can wait untill 1:54 lol.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Racer
    Awesome little dude. Love to see the excitement on the young generation. It's what will keep our hobby around for a long time. I know your excited but take your time to get to know the truck. I know u want to charge and go but take a little time to read the manuals and get to know your slash.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

RC Racer
    LOL I'm not much of a "little dude" anymore. 5'6" 200 lbs almost 15
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Its probably going to feel like the longest day ever at school, but don't worry you will survive

If you can, I would get a couple of accessories when at the store.

Lipo Bag

Spur gear or two

Temp gun

+1 on reading your manual, and getting to know your new truck, you'll have time when your waiting for the lipo to charge.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Racer
    How much is a LiPo bag? I dont have much to spend on accesories but a LiPo bag would be good to have
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gingersquirrel98 View Post
    How much is a LiPo bag? I dont have much to spend on accesories but a LiPo bag would be good to have
    About 12 to 15 $, yes it would be very good, to have one, safety first.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    this isn't Kyle or Kennison Andrews, is it? i'm at school at the moment too.
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Racer
    Well I'm 6'1 310 and 37 so yeah ok a not so little dude. Lol
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    this isn't Kyle or Kennison Andrews, is it? i'm at school at the moment too.
    Uh no......

Quote Originally Posted by emtkevin View Post
    LOL

ALMOST DONE SCHOOL!
    Yeah and we are bringing my neighbor because he wants to look at the trains... I LIKE TRAINS KID FTW >_<
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-27-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: merge
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Racer
    Post some pics when u get it
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

RC Racer
    I'll try to. I don't really have much of a "proper" camera. Haha...

My neighbor though...Cameras everywhere...He could probably take some nice pictures...And he said he could help me build a jump.

LOL I'm getting so ahead of myself I already put "SLASH 2X4 VXL!" as my signature.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-27-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: merge
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Nothing wrong with that. I often think of things for A long time before I buy them.

RC Racer
    Which style did u get?
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

RC Qualifier
    If it's not to late, IMO I'd wait on the body, the stock body isn't nearly as strong as a proline or jconcepts but it lasted me a good while, I'd use that 40$ for a body on some aftermarket parts which you will find out you will need very soon, another thing when buying an rtr look over the truck thoroughly and make sure everything is tight and secured properly

RC Qualifier
    So what did u ended up getting?
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    HAHA I'm 6'5" and 350. Your all small!

Congrats sir!

Look into getting alum c-blocks...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Yes u r a big one. Lol

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-27-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

RC Racer
    Which style did u get?
    Is that the body I got? I went with the Chad Hord Boss Snowplow body.

Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    If it's not to late, IMO I'd wait on the body, the stock body isn't nearly as strong as a proline or jconcepts but it lasted me a good while, I'd use that 40$ for a body on some aftermarket parts which you will find out you will need very soon, another thing when buying an rtr look over the truck thoroughly and make sure everything is tight and secured properly
    Yeah i didnt get a body
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-27-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: merge
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

Ow some,best of luck,and I can bet your excited.
    At 53 I'm still just like a kid when I get another rc. I hope your love yours as much as I did.
    Even at my age I had a set back last night,with a motor system,and I'm still all excited about getting it up and running.
    Wish you all the fun in the world,and it's really nice to have this forum as well,if not for some of the wonderful people on this sight,I may have never stuck with it as I have,and that would have been quit sad.
    Because now I wait for every chance to run an rc.

It's been thru some battles,but the fun I've had!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Battery question. I have a Nimh battery for my airsoft gun and I have an extra I want to use with my rc. My smart charger charges nimh in about 30 min vs my lipo charges in 2 1/2 hours. How would I go about using my Nimh battery in my RC
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

Battery question. I have a Nimh battery for my airsoft gun and I have an extra I want to use with my rc. My smart charger charges nimh in about 30 min vs my lipo charges in 2 1/2 hours. How would I go about using my Nimh battery in my RC
    Your vxl will have a lipo shut down mode,this must be used with lipos,and turned off for NiMh.
    It is an easy proses of holding down the ez set button untill the motor sounds,and the light remains red(lvd off)or green(lvd on).
    However with out knowing the volts of your other battery's,or what type off plug they have. I would strongly suggest you and your father sit down with your lhs man and learn the proper way of doing things.Or call a Traxxas rep.
    If you were just dealing with lipo's and NiMh made for the slash it would be easier to explain,but I am not comfortable giving you my opinion with out knowing exactly what volts and battery's you have.

RC Racer
    Not sure the brand but its a 7 cell 8.4 volt nimh Ill find out the brand when I get home
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    The slash brushed edition comes with a 7cell 8.4v nimh, either normal 7cell which all the cells are level or a 7cell hump which is 6cells level and 1cell sitting on top of the others, but since it's from your airsoft I'm sure you have to get a new connector soldered on, I personally like deans connectors, but the traxxas connectors are good as well

RC Racer
    Yeah I know about the connector part. How much is it? And my dad is a plumber so he can easily solder it on. And could I charge it by clipping the aligator clips onto the traxxas connector?

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Ow some,best of luck,and I can bet your excited.
    At 53 I'm still just like a kid when I get another rc. I hope your love yours as much as I did.
    Even at my age I had a set back last night,with a motor system,and I'm still all excited about getting it up and running.
    Wish you all the fun in the world,and it's really nice to have this forum as well,if not for some of the wonderful people on this sight,I may have never stuck with it as I have,and that would have been quit sad.
    Because now I wait for every chance to run an rc.

It's been thru some battles,but the fun I've had!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Your's looks a lot higher off the ground than mine, which is stock. Is it? Or is it just the camera angle?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-27-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: merge
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Congrats! My first-ever brushless R/C was the Slash VXL! And it was my first car that went over 40!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Did you end up buying anything aftermarket for it?

RC Qualifier
    I sure hope he bought upgrades straight away. Like aluminum castor blocks or bearing carriers. I break those things like mad.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Did you end up buying anything aftermarket for it?
    No I spent all the money I had on the truck and still had to borrow $10 from my dad.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Racer
    Schools out in 2 mins. Can't wait to get home and bash! My mom charged my LiPo so it will be ready to go when I get home! And I will find out when my dad can bring me to the lhs so I can learn more about converting my battery connector and charging. Also, do any of you have the e-z peak plus charger? Is it worth it? The LiPo balance charger just doesnt charge a 4200mAh fast enough. But it's only rated for 2200 or something so that is to be expected
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    The TRX e-z peak plus is listed on A-main $100.00, that is too much, for the limited features it has. I'm sure its a good charger but, there are better chargers in that price range.JMHO

The Hitec X1+ AC Plus Single Port AC/DC Multi-Charger (6S/6A/50W)
    [HRC44165] is $63.00 and has all the features you will want, its also getting great reviews.JMO not trying to start a charger war
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    If your going to spend 100$ on a charger like that I suggest you save another 50$ or so and get something better

The body mounts were lifted a bit.
    Your's looks a lot higher off the ground than mine, which is stock. Is it? Or is it just the camera angle?
    I had just taken a set of 2.8's off it.

There is a new low cost charger out called the passport ultralight.
    It's just a dc 6amp,but will charge,discharge,fast charge? Has a built in voltage meter,battery temp meter,a storage charge setting +.
    I have no idea what they mean by fast charge(it's only 6 amps),but it says it is much faster than a balanced charge.
    But keep in mind you get what you pay for. And at $65 they cant be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    There is a new low cost charger out called the passport ultralight.
    That looks like a great charger for the price, and I've always had great luck with Dynamite products.

That said, enjoy the new truck, gingersquirrel98!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    So how approxamately how fast would that charger charge a 4200 LiPo, 5000LiPo and a 12800 LiPo
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    So how approxamately how fast would that charger charge a 4200 LiPo, 5000LiPo and a 12800 LiPo
    Well it only charges up to 6amps so the 4200mah you would charge at 4.2amps which would take around 40min., the 5000mah you would charge at 5amps and that'll take you either an hour or a little over, as far as 12800mah there is no need for that especially in a 1/10scale just a couple reasons it's overkill and heavy, the most mah I would buy for something as light as the slash is 6500mah, but that's a good entry level charger but if you get deeper in the hobby and IMHO most people who join are addicted, I'd start saving some money right now

RC Racer
    Birthday soon... expecting about $200 - $300 dollars minus 80 for an iPhone case. What should I buy?
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Racer
    U will have just enough for the 2wd slash. You pick the style.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

RC poster
    I just got my 10yr old the Slash VXL for his B-Day and it was sooooo cool that I had to by another one for me! I got some SPC Lipos and a Onyx 150 charger. Keep some extra $$$ for parts when you break them. My local shop takes the time to show me how to fix it. We did get some Badland tires and the hook up so freaking good!
    Happy Birthday!
    Slash VXL - One for me and one for the kid!

RC Racer
    Im definatly getting the dynamite Passport Ultralite charger. Im probably going to get some proline paddles so I can drive across the brook near my house (I set up a little track across it) and not have to carry it over like a pansy. The sand paddles would also be a big help in the massive sand pit near my house. I have 2 nice pits for bashing near my house. One a 30 second walk. The other about a 7 minute walk. One os packed down pretty nice the other isnt. They are both good though. I want some aluminum shock caps too. And i want a MERV lol. Someone should totally buy me a MERV for my birthday.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR