RC Racer

whats the deal with my ERBE..??

So I bought a ERBE off a buddy of mine real cheap.... $150.... I was working on getting it cleaned up a bit today, replacing rusty screws, whatnot.... I have all the wheels off and I was on the phone turning one of the front axles/hex hubs with my fingers, nice and smooth, did the same with the rear, and was not smooth, it was really "clicky" for lack of a better word... Could it be the rear diff is jacked? The bearings in the rear carriers seem ok, and it runs good... For $150, I can't be mad if a diff is shot, he gave me an extra diff and a rebuild kit as well, what do you all think it could be??
    Last edited by carraig042; 04-24-2013 at 09:40 PM.

all the above, open up the diff check the bearings & the ring & pinion.
    prob the ring, pinion.......shim it up while it is open..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

+1 to the above, take them apart and give them a good checking and cleaning.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Racer
    Sounds like a plan... I'll have to do that this eve... Never taken a big Erevo apart down to the diff in the rear.. Shouldn't be too hard tho, i'm pretty mechanically inclined... LOL, thanks for the input guys... Also I noticed while driving it around on the street last night that it doesn't turn too sharp at speed.. While going slow it does.. I've had many a Traxxas electric and nitro vehicle and I realize they don't turn sharp while at speed but I feel there is something awry here.. Could it just be the servos are getting worn out? Or could it be as simple as adjusting the endpoints via Traxxas link app? I already adjusted the links to the outermost position on both servo horns for a little more steering travel..

They're for the n-Revo, but these instructions can be useful for E-Revo diff removals also:
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/5379X_5382X_diff_rebuild_0.pdf
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Champion
    Get it back to all stock specs and it should perform well.

The two stock servos are not the best, but should perform well at speed. If you think the truck understeers/pushes through the turn when at speed then look at Suspension and Alignment Settings on pg 27 of the manual. http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...R01-130227.pdf

There are all kinds of tuning adjustments you can make with this truck.
    Last edited by anr2442; 04-25-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Racer
    I appreciate the help y'all, I'm definately gonna tear it down to the rear diff this eve... replace and shim if necessary.. Might have to go to the LHS for some bearings also.. I'll let you all know how it goes... Its really nice for a basher, just need the right wheels and tires for it now... It came with a set of proline road rage on desperado wheels.. Good for street, but..... lol

RC Racer
    Well, on my lunch break today, I got the whole back end broke down. When I get home I just have to take off the rear half shaft and the cvd cups and I should be able to pop the diff out and take it apart and see what if anything is wrong with it..

RC Racer
    Well, I took the diff apart checked the ring and pinion, looked fine to me, all the spider gears looked fine too, all the bearings were good... I put fluid back in and reassembled, even added a couple shims and it didn't want to turn smoothly at all, I don't know what to do, might just buy new diffs for it. ..

they can have a little tight spot when rolling over the ring & pinion. as long as it is not to tight should be ok.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    That seemed to be the case GN.. Once I had it back together, I would push the pinion toward the ring and turn it and thats when it sounded and felt like something was jacked... So I put the center drive axle end back on it and turned it again and it was pretty smooth.. Added a shim to the end of the pinion between that and the center drive axle to make sure the pinion doesn't get too close to the ring... Now tonight I have to get it all back together .... LOL.... That oughta take a minute..

I had issues with my diff case rubbing the ring gear, I ended up replacing the whole diff. But I have the parts to rebuild the one that was having issues, also need to replace the pinion and ring gear while I am at it.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy