RC Qualifier

Dewalt 820 conversion - pinion option ?

Im looking into a Dewalt 820 conversion from Kershaw and I have an option on the pinion teeth. Being a noob I could use some advice. It appears the standard is 19t. If I get more teeth or less teeth how does it effect the Summit. I dont want to break any speed records or destroy the Summit, still want to crawl, but a slight edge over my grandsons would be great. What they dont know wont hurt them

RC Champion
    Their was a thread started a few posts down on this topic and some suggestions their. Did you see it? Might have what u are looking for I found it helpfull

Stock is 14 pinion 68 spur
    More teeth on pinion higher top end
    If you are on stock batteries 19 is gonna be hard on them,quite hard.16 would give you a bit more speed than stock.
    It May be a bit more friendly to stock batts
    But if you have some decent lipo then I would consider gearing up.thats just me
    This is a heavy truck need some juice to get it up to speed,remember braking requires power too.usually more than accelerating i believe.
    13 pound brick+ 20 ish maybe more MPH = gonna leave a mark or in my case a scar.... lol.
    The dewalts can be hard on stock batts
    Shorter runtimes.3000 Nimh are not going to live long feeding the dewalt.
    They will make a tasty snack

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I run the SPC lipos 8200mah 2s so power should not be a problem. I can buy a few different ones and try them. I just dont want to go 50 mph. I'll buy an erevo to do that.
    Last edited by BRICK57; 04-25-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Power to supply dewalt .... Check. Lol
    19t may cause some heat
    I ran a 16 t pinion little bit quicker and also didn't have any heat issues.19 may cause it to run a bit hotter so keep a eye on temps for a bit.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree... a 19 is pretty high. Id stick with a 16 or 17 tops. Youll be a TINY bit faster than the stock but the torque will blow your mind.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I will do the 16t that is the least number of teeth Kershaw offers. I will get an 18t just so I can get the better of my Grandsons. Ill post back with the results.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    My experience with the Dewalt, 19t was ok for bashing on dirt or gravel (track time). It got a little warm (for my conservative taste) in the grass and weeds so we backed off to 18t. GPS with the stock 14t & Titan was right at 19mph and the 19t with the Dewalt put her right at 25mph. Almost scary on tractive surfaces like pavement and hardpack with totally stock suspension and tires.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    My experience with the Dewalt, 19t was ok for bashing on dirt or gravel (track time). It got a little warm (for my conservative taste) in the grass and weeds so we backed off to 18t. GPS with the stock 14t & Titan was right at 19mph and the 19t with the Dewalt put her right at 25mph. Almost scary on tractive surfaces like pavement and hardpack with totally stock suspension and tires.
    Thanks for the input, I just ordered the kit with a 19t and a 16t pinions. Ill try them and see how they do, and make adjusts from there. Those speeds are interesting, I would have thought the Summits go faster than 19mph stock. 25mph is plenty fast for me, i'm not trying to set any land speed records. Thanks again

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Those speeds are interesting, I would have thought the Summits go faster than 19mph stock. 25mph is plenty fast for me, i'm not trying to set any land speed records. Thanks again
    I've seen You-Tube videos with the Summit GPS'd at 20-21mph. Production variances being what they are I figured I got one that was a little slower than normal.

Now that you mention it, I have not GPS'd mine recently. It may have picked up a little, but not much. That 13+ pounder coming at me at 25mph is a little intimidating
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    This combo will be tested on road rage tires and truck lowered, On fresh pavement. Temps will be monitored each high speed pass.

25t pinion and 54 tooth spur. Hoping for 60 KPH!!!

The truck will not be drove offroad or crawling like this. This gearing is for speed run fun only. Just to see what this hog can do with only a gearing upgrade.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Qualifier
    can't wait for the results. I'm just getting into the motor mod thing and gearing so it will give me more to think about.