RC Enthusiast

ESC is hot motor just gettin warm?

Here is the setup.... CC 2400 MMP, 19/54 gear, 4cell 5100 lipo, xo-1 rear wheels n tires all around street
    setup so its low. I know the body needs venting but why the wide temp spead? Esc 178 and motor 140
    maybe if its warm out after bout 20 mins or so. Fan on esc never came on? Hmm. I have had heard...
    (motor hot your over geared, esc hot under geared) Im getting GREAT speed
    and acceleration no complaints. Any thoughts guys lets hear them.
    Last edited by BYRDMAN313; 05-05-2013 at 10:18 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    you said, your running XO-1 rear wheels/tires. they are wide tires than any 1/8 scale tires. that might contributes with the heat.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    19/54 on 4S lipo? You should have a hot motor after 10 minutes. thats pushing that motor pretty hard, even in a vehicle like a rally. what are you using to measure temps? If the fan on the ESC isnt coming on and the ESC is 178, something isnt right. My fan comes on way before that.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    LOL. I know its fast! I have a CC blower on the motor so I'm happy with its temps. The esc has me
    confused a lot though! I have a "commercial electric" infrared thermometer. Its spot on. Thanks
    Last edited by BYRDMAN313; 05-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Dare I say that the motor temps you are reading are the can only and not necessarily the internal motor temps. Run it without the blower to set a baseline, IMO you are definitely geared too high.
    Dont handicap children by making life easy

RC Enthusiast
    IMO the fan on the esc should be comin on way before those temps. But i think if it did come on earlier the temps would be alot lower on the esc and i would not be worried. rjm2519, So your saying if i temp the motor can, the inside could still be an unsafe temp like the esc? And the fan is cooling the motor can and not the internals of the motor? I do run the KH motor mount so i know that helps the motor bleed off heat as well.
    Last edited by BYRDMAN313; 05-07-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: SPELLING

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Dare I say that the motor temps you are reading are the can only and not necessarily the internal motor temps. Run it without the blower to set a baseline, IMO you are definitely geared too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by BYRDMAN313 View Post
    IMO the fan on the esc should be comin on way before those temps. But i think if it did come on earlier the temps would be alot lower on the esc and i would not be worried. rjm2519, So your saying if i temp the motor can, the inside could still be an unsafe temp like the esc? And the fan is cooling the motor can and not the internals of the motor? I do run the KH motor mount so i know that helps the motor bleed off heat as well.
    I agree, the can temp is never the same as the core when assisted by a fan. Without a fan it still reads e few degrees shy of true temp, with a fan, the margin will be much steeper.
    Also, I would agree that your over geared for 4s. Consider this, if your fan quits in the middle of a run.....will the motor cook? Its a castle fan so, its only a mater of time before it quits on ya. Love the combos CC sells but the fans stink!
    As far as the esc fan is concerned, it should kick in a t 160F. Did you update your esc software? The older ver. of software had been known to kick the fan on at way to high of a temp, Id update just for the latest fixes and such. Drop the pinion down to a 15 or so, run without a fan to get baseline temps of a true value, gear up if possible (temps dictate), then after knowing your not too hot.....gear it up.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!