Thread: engine options

RC poster

engine options

i bought a used 4tec with a supposldy good engine when i received it turns out bad motor. im looking to replace the engine with another one. i have been looking at the picco .26. is there anything needed to fit this engine to the 4 tec? any modifications? is there any direct replacements besides traxxas engines with the same amount of power or more

RC poster
    anyone? someone ?

RC Champion
    What model 4tec do you have? Fitting a big block into the 4tec isn't going to be a drop in. You have to get a motor mount. correct linkages, clutch bell setup and thats just the beginning. Assuming the engine will fit as well. These cars were designed as are almost all 1/10 on road cars for .15 and smaller motors. Any reason you want to drop in a .26 picco? if you want out of control fast, drop in a 3.3 traxxas engine, the car is almost undrivable with that.. the only drop in engines that come to mind would be either the OS18tm or the OS21TM.. both are great engines, but aren't going to make it any faster.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousfed racincg View Post
    i bought a used 4tec with a supposldy good engine when i received it turns out bad motor. im looking to replace the engine with another one. i have been looking at the picco .26. is there anything needed to fit this engine to the 4 tec? any modifications? is there any direct replacements besides traxxas engines with the same amount of power or more
    It requires a different motor mount and not the standard BB motor mount... Might want to check with OFNA who mfr's the picco..

I do not believe they make one for the Picco to fit the 4Tec.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    Well i had a hyper 21 in my 4 tec and lets just say its better off with a small block i had extremely stiff springs in the rear becuase of the added weight of the larger engine .the car also bounced alot and it wasnt much faster if not slower and it was a nitro guzzler just my opinion

RC Enthusiast
    Let me tell you that I've strapped everything from a modified big block to modified small block in a 4-tec. The best engine setup performance wise in a 4-tec is a RB modified 3.3 from Rick Brake. The big block engines in the 4-tec upset the true balance of the car.

RC Champion
    Dynamite .19 will make it crazy fast. Has a higher RPM range than the 3.3, 18tm and 21tm. And its a direct drop in. Can even keep your cheesy start. It takes up the same space as the 2.5. They are a little difficult to tune though. Very weather sensitive.
    A Picco .26 is intended for tourgue/power. IE Revo or T-maxx. It would be a huge mistake to put on a 4-tec. However, Ofna does offer adaptors to install a BB on a N.Rustler. It will work on a 4-tec as well if you must go BB.
    Last edited by Powerman; 05-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.

That's just crazy trying to stick a BB in the nitro 4Tec. It's too much as it is for the 3.3 in there and now you want a BB wow must want to really destroy that car then and go through tires every couple runs. As Powerman said the engines listed by him would be suitable still a little too much but better so you have a car there.
    DEU 8:18 ESV