RC Racer

Differentials question.

How can you tell if the front or rear diff. is dragging or binding. I've been thinking that I'm losing power somewhere cause my revo will not do wheelies. It has done wheelies after I put new piston and sleeve in and only ran less than a gallon through it. Maybe the engine bearings are bad i don't know. Any way to test the diffs without pulling them apart?

RC Competitor
    I noticed a lot more of the old wheelie action after I cleaned and greased the diffs. When I finished the front I simply turned the Axel back and forth by hand and compared that the other that was not done yet. It was a pretty big difference and actually thought to my self no wonder it acted a little sluggish. I did this last week and I really only ran 1 gallon thru. Tearing it all apart was not half as bad as I thought. I would say go for the tear apart. Your only gonna make it better. And who knows you might get that warm wheelie feeling.

RC Racer
    Yeah going to start on the tear down tomorrow. Just afraid of getting into it and have to replace a few things. Which will be good but I'm cheap haha. What's the best thing to grease them gears with? Something over the counter or something specifically for RC cars?

RC Champion
    you can stiffen up rear suspension if you want wheelies... me personally i hate wheelies
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Competitor
    I made 2 trips to the hobby store an hour away 2 days before this tear down and still forgot diff oil. Wanted 30wt. To save another trip I used high temp wheel bearing grease filled a little past the gears. This coulb be why I have a lot more traction also. Word on the street is as long as you use a fairly thick oil/grease that will not liquify when the gears spin you'll be ok. Whats best? I would say traxxas oil but my situation might be different. O and be careful if you try wiping the inside of the diff out there are nubs that help with reassembly I broke 3 of 4 off and it made it a pain.

RC Champion
    grease will only work initially.. but will soon pack to one wide and would not create any resistance... the oil will allow more resistance due to its liquid form...

grease will make the diff slip more..

RC Racer
    So if I use some thing from let's say oreilys auto what weights would you recommend

Best to use silicone oil purchased from the hobby shop. A bottle will last a long time. As for the ring and pinion gears I use automotive high-temp bearing grease.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Where were ya on my last diff oil post hahaha. That's good to know. Cuz ididnt tear it apart again to see how the grease is working. Next trip I'll be sure to stock up on silicone diff oil. What you think about 30wt? I just wanted 30 Cuz it seems like middle of the road weight. What do you think is better for non bashing?

RC Champion
    50k up front 30k in the rear.. its the best combination you can get...

RC Racer
    When I spin one side of the diff should the opposite side spin the same direction and speed? I have the trans and wheels off. When I spin one side of the rear axel the opposite spins the same direction and speed. When I do the same to the front the opposite side spins the opposite direction

RC Racer
    I don't have a Lhs to get traxxas diff oil. What would be best from an auto parts store? Would they have 30k & 50kwt? If not what would be the equivalent.

RC Racer
    Yes open diffs spin opposit ditections. Locked up or thick diff fluid spin in the same direction. But the whole diff as in the ring and pinion should spin free and smooth with small little clicks from the teeth meshing. Thick oil or lite greese for them.