Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Question Traxxas Velineon System vs. Castle Sidewinder SCT? Which would you choose and why?

I have a Traxxas Slash 2wd roller and I'm trying to figure out which system to go with...

The Traxxas Velineon Brushless system or the Castle Sidewinder SCT Brushless system.

The Castle system comes with a 3800kv motor but not sure what type of difference that makes compared to the Velineon motor. I believe the Traxxas motor is 3500kv.

Which one would you go with if you were doing a fresh build and why?
    Last edited by JoeHotRod; 04-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    My vote goes to the Castle system, mainly because the esc is adjustable, with a 2wd that will come in handy.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Champion
    I have run both and for bashing I would go for the Castle SCT 3800, unless you need a waterproof set-up.

The Castle motor has more power, runs much cooler and gives longer run times. The Sidewinder ESC is highly programable but can get a bit hot - you can always put a fan on it if heat's an issue.

For racing I love my Castle 1406 4600 4-pole as it is more responsive than either of these, has a managable level of torque but still has great top end speed.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Enthusiast
    If you wanted a Castle system that was water proof, wouldn't the Castle Sidewinder 3 with a 4600kv be the choice. I plan I getting this set-up when my son's titan motor quits.

RC Competitor
    Velineon is 2s and 3s capable as well; maybe it's not quite as powerful or adjustable but there's trade-offs with everything.

I love Castle products but admittedly I've never run any of these setups, just pointing out the other possible reasons to go with the Velineon...

Good luck!

There both very nice systems,I run both.
    The 3800 castle is a four pole,and does seem to run a bit cooler,and even tho the esc is programmable,I rarely mess with them.
    In fact the other day I changed all my lipo cut offs to 3.5.(don't know what they came set at). And that's about it.
    But others change their settings all time.
    But either is a top notch system imo.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    I have the SCT3800 in my slash that originally had the Traxxas system. Hands down the Castle system is better for several reasons. The 4 pole 3800 has quite a bit more torque than the Traxxas does. Heat is not an issue with the castle and if you are just buying it they come with fans for the esc built in now. It will run 3S all day as I have many times even though Castle doesn't seem to recommend it, and honestly its too fast for the Slash anyway. Some may not care for the programming, but thats the best feature in my mind. I love to be able to set punch control (you will need it with this motor) and my favorite, Drag Brake. cannot live without it.. seriously!!! The velinion motor itself isn't a bad motor, but they tend to run on the hot side, I am not a fan of the esc.. You can't do anything with it.. Waterproof is nice, but I don't run in the rain and certainly not in puddles and mud.. I have run in the snow and on wet roads often and the Castle works fine there.
    I liked the system so much I got a 5700 4pole for my other Slash, but I went with a Mamba max Pro esc for this one.. No reason other than I got a good deal on it.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    I was too in the same boat with you Joe awhile back on deciding which combo to go with. I love my Castle 3800kv SideWinder( currently running MMP ESC ). Has alot low end tq, stays really cool( after 10min main track race motor temp read 115deg on a 80deg day) ESC has built in fan. U can program and update ur ESC online. Man U won't be disappointed my man. GO Castle

RC Racer
    is the side winder sct wtrprf

RC Champion
    the SCT speed controller is not waterproof.. the Sidewinder version 3 is.. Its the same esc as the SCT, just packaged without the Brushless motor but doesn't come with a built in fan.. if you are going to be running in water, get the sidewinder.. if you are racing at a track or not in wet conditions. get the SCt with the fan.

RC Qualifier
    The SV3 ESC is waterproof. Like CenRacer said ^^ depends what u plan on doing with ur Slash. I have my setup for strictly track only. But I hear its not hard to waterproof ur ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Personally, I would choose the Velineon. I like the low-end torque, and I pass EVERYONE at the track from the start. Plus, it's all waterproof. I've heard the new waterproofing on the Castle ESCs don't hold up too well.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

I've been a fan of both systems for a long time... I think I'd go with the velineon if you like plug and play, or the Castle systems if you like to tinker with the settings.

There are many settings to change with your PC if you have the Castle link.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Bandit Transit, Do you have a link to any info about the castle waterproofing failures? I was thinking about that sv3 for a mud racer 4x4 pede...

If it is a problem, i will need to consider something else....
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    Personally, I would choose the Velineon. I like the low-end torque, and I pass EVERYONE at the track from the start.
    Yea everything goes great for me at that track until the first turn...
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    There both very nice systems,I run both.
    The 3800 castle is a four pole,and does seem to run a bit cooler,and even tho the esc is programmable,I rarely mess with them.
    In fact the other day I changed all my lipo cut offs to 3.5.(don't know what they came set at). And that's about it.
    But others change their settings all time.
    But either is a top notch system imo.
    You should get into playing with those throttle and brake curves man. Opens up a whole new world. You can save and load them and create multiple curves to swap in and out.

OP: I've ran both systems and the only flaw I've seen on the VXL and it's a widely known problem is the LVC faulting out. Mostly it gives a false cut on 3s lipo but eventually can spill over to 2s packs as well. Other than that it's fine.

For the SCT system like the others have said, low motor temps, adjustability, and it the 3800kv 4 pole motor does have more torque than the VXL 3500kv motor. I noticed that immediately.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    the SCT speed controller is not waterproof.. the Sidewinder version 3 is.. Its the same esc as the SCT, just packaged without the Brushless motor but doesn't come with a built in fan.. if you are going to be running in water, get the sidewinder.. if you are racing at a track or not in wet conditions. get the SCt with the fan.
    thanks i just need 30 more dollars to get the 3

RC Qualifier
    Some posts in this thread say it's water resistant, but if your layer of silicone has failed you are in for one big problem.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...aterproof.html
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

This is just my thinking,but in the rc world,I would consider even the vxl-3,and sv-3 as highly water resident.
    Any time you submerge an electrical unit your taking a chance.
    Granted the vxl-3,or the sv-3 are of a much higher water resent level,but IMO your taking a risk if you go swimming with it.
    There is however one good thing about the vxl-3,and the sv-3 or any labeled water proof esc. They say WATER PROOF,so even if they do end up in the lake,the warranty will cover them.

RC Racer
    This is just my thinking,but in the rc world,I would consider even the vxl-3,and sv-3 as highly water resident.
    Any time you submerge an electrical unit your taking a chance.
    Granted the vxl-3,or the sv-3 are of a much higher water resent level,but IMO your taking a risk if you go swimming with it.
    There is however one good thing about the vxl-3,and the sv-3 or any labeled water proof esc. They say WATER PROOF,so even if they do end up in the lake,the warranty will cover them.
    okay thanks for the info

RC poster
    I have the sidewinder ESC and love the adjustability of it. I wish the Castle Link was tablet/android friendly though. I have the 5700kv motor in it now but would go with a higher torque motor in the future. I've done a lot of bashing and very little maintenance and it has all held up well. It's been in wetter conditions than intended with no waterproofing or problems.

RC poster
    I went with the sidewinder3/4600 combo in my sons 2wd slash. He could not be happier, night and day compared to the titan.
    A lot of adjustability with the castle link. Had to tune it down for him right now. Blows my vxl rustler away.

RC Racer
    I have tried both of them. I say sidewinder. You can plug it in to the computer and there's an unbelievable amount of options. Some people say the sct gets hot... True but a fan fixes that. It's not waterproof, but it's still worth it. I have great run times and I would not switch to villenion.

I will still stand behind the vxl system,but it can't be denied, the 3800kv 4 pole is the stronger set up,and now that it's cheaper than the vxl,it is quite the value.
    But I still like the vxl system,and run three of them.
    There are time and tracks were the vxl is the better choice.
    Both top notch system's backed by top notch warranty's.

RC Racer
    I will still stand behind the vxl system,but it can't be denied, the 3800kv 4 pole is the stronger set up,and now that it's cheaper than the vxl,it is quite the value.
    But I still like the vxl system,and run three of them.
    There are time and tracks were the vxl is the better choice.
    Both top notch system's backed by top notch warranty's.
    ok so I'm getting vxl because of the amazing support behind it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    Some posts in this thread say it's water resistant, but if your layer of silicone has failed you are in for one big problem.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...aterproof.html
    Bandit...Did you read the date on your post.. Its almost 3 years old, long before the V3 or even the V2 was released. The original esc where water resistant to a point.. the new ones are fully water proof.. Waterproofing an esc isn't hard to do..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slashman1219 View Post
    ok so I'm getting vxl because of the amazing support behind it
    LOL.. If I make a positive statement for the Castle I bet you would will change your mind again... Just kidding... Both are great systems for different reasons... The Traxxas is easier and much less to tinker with.. the Castle is great for major or subtle changes and has a stronger motor.. but the Traxxas 3500 is not slouch either.. Both have excellent customer support.. Really can't go wrong with either.. I'm a Castle supporter from way back to the airplanes and helicopter days.. They always get my money..

RC Racer
    and also cause i found a sweet deal on it plus traxxas made the motor and the only one in stock was 9700 kv little to much for a 2wd i mean the castle was 9700 kv and trx made the esc
    Last edited by slashman1219; 04-30-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: i suck at spelling and i suck at remembering to add stuff

RC poster
    well i have a vxl setup in my slash, my buddy has the sct 3800kv, same gearing and my vxl will run his down no problem. Mine is seasoned and his setup was a week old. It probably has to do with the c rating on my lipo being higher than his why my truck was faster. PLus he was on stock tires...

I will be getting a s3 setup for a stadium truck im seting up for speed runs as the new castle products are incredible values. I like traxxas customer support as well though. Plus 2 of the 3 LHS have the rebuild kits for the motor which i needed yesterday. I know I could have sent my motor in and got it fixed free but im impatient and dont mind supporting traxxas with parts purchases. I think you cant go wrong either way, pick one up on sale and you cant go wrong...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by silvertrd View Post
    well i have a vxl setup in my slash, my buddy has the sct 3800kv, same gearing and my vxl will run his down no problem. Mine is seasoned and his setup was a week old. It probably has to do with the c rating on my lipo being higher than his why my truck was faster. PLus he was on stock tires....
    Did the very same test against my son's truck about a year ago when I got a SCT3800 and initially found them to be quite similar speedwise but I was only using a 5000 20C lipo. I then geared it up, dropped in a 5600 50C lipo and the thing went into orbit. The SCT 3800 is more efficient and can draw up to 50% more amps (150 vs 100) so with a battery that can deliver it enough juice it will totally blow the Velineon away.

RC Champion
    You cannot compare the Velineon and the 3800 castle running the same gearing and a smaller under performing battery.. Mine when run on a quality 50C battery the acceleration is nothing short of explosive.. The traxxas is a good system, but not nearly as fast.

RC Qualifier
    Performance is a bit better on the Castle System, but it isn't waterproof. I personally prefer waterproof over functions because where I live it snows almost all year. It snowed yesterday! haha but my friend has to tape his whole car every time he wants to run it where I go through snow and do donuts around him and spray his car, it's funny. Look into 1/8th scale systems like the hobbywing SC8 WP with a Tacon 3674 motor, the whole combo is still less then the castle combo, and is way more powerful because it's a 1/8th scale system.
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Did the very same test against my son's truck about a year ago when I got a SCT3800 and initially found them to be quite similar speedwise but I was only using a 5000 20C lipo. I then geared it up, dropped in a 5600 50C lipo and the thing went into orbit. The SCT 3800 is more efficient and can draw up to 50% more amps (150 vs 100) so with a battery that can deliver it enough juice it will totally blow the Velineon away.
    I too have noticed this,it is a testament to how inaccurate the battery ratings are.
    The 3800kv 4 pole is said to pull as many as 140 amps.The velineon around 65amps,(est-meant)
    A 5000mah 35c battery should unload a consistent 5000x35= 175amps,which should give 350amp bursts.
    When I run a reedy 6500 65c 2s Its a different motor,and it really shouldn't be if the battery's were correctly rated.
    This can be taken back to a NIMh and lipo lasting the same amount of time with the same mah rating,they should,But anymore they are so grossly miss rated who knows.
    I'm not and don't claim to be any type of battery no it all,but I'm trying to learn.
    Every body knows how much better a spc cell performs then others of equal rating,imo this is because they are closer to a true rating then the rest.
    Just a thought,but does it make sense to anyone else?

RC Champion
    I too have noticed this,it is a testament to how inaccurate the battery ratings are.
    The 3800kv 4 pole is said to pull as many as 140 amps.The velineon around 65amps,(est-meant)
    A 5000mah 35c battery should unload a consistent 5000x35= 175amps,which should give 350amp bursts.
    When I run a reedy 6500 65c 2s Its a different motor,and it really shouldn't be if the battery's were correctly rated.
    This can be taken back to a NIMh and lipo lasting the same amount of time with the same mah rating,they should,But anymore they are so grossly miss rated who knows.
    I'm not and don't claim to be any type of battery no it all,but I'm trying to learn.
    Every body knows how much better a spc cell performs then others of equal rating,imo this is because they are closer to a true rating then the rest.
    Just a thought,but does it make sense to anyone else?
    The explanation for your experience no doubt lies in the accuracy of the claimed "C" discharge ratings.

I was involved in a debate on this issue some time ago. Here's a link to it in case you're interested, it makes great reading!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tinuous+rating
    Last edited by Mr Wolf; 05-01-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks Wolf!

RC Champion
    The 3800SCT is an amp hog.. I will use a brief very unscientific test that I used when I got the system installed in my Slash.. I ran a 30C 5000mah 2S battery (brand doesn't matter here) and did an acceleration test.. On asphalt only, the truck left the line with good acceleration, small wheelie and reached a top speed of 43mph... Quickly brought the truck in and swapped out battery for a 60C 5000mah 2s battery of the same brand.. On asphalt, the truck launched hard, pulled the front wheels up until the rear bumper dragged on the ground and actually lifted the rear tires off the ground.. Top speed run was eventually clocked at 45mph.. The off the line punch was dramatic.. I use the weaker of the two batteries in my Rustler where the torque really isn't needed like in the slash.. The difference was really greater than I expected.. Both batteries where about the same age with similar cycles thru them charged on the same charger.. I won't mention the brand of batteries here because its a brand not allowed on the site..

RC Enthusiast
    I went with the SCT/3800 for the tuning capabilities, and also wanted to smoke my son's VXL. Now I just need to learn to tune it, and drive it.

RC poster

I have the Castle 1406/4600kV 4-pole system

My user name is wrong - will repost shortly
    Last edited by onlie5; 05-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.

RC poster

I have the Castle 1406/4600kV 4-pole system

The Sidewinder3 and Mamba Monster 2 systems are waterproof!

The Castle ESC is very programmable with the Castle Link USB (Separate Purchase - about 21 bucks). I can set it so my 6yo nephew can drive my Slash without my help. You also set it so accelerate & braking both have 'curves' on the trigger pull. Custom set just about everything the ESC does... accelerate, brake, torque, horsepower, timing. It's a nice set-up with a great price (ESC & Motor - 110 bucks last Feb.).

I bought the aluminum transmission case (with 1 toe = 4 total) & sealed aluminum diff (I put 300k diff oil in it) from fastlanemachine.net and am running the Castle Sidewinder3 1406/4600kV 4-pole system on a 7-cell NiMH. With a 25t pinion and 86t spur on an 90 day, on the street, I ran it full speed (45mph) 2 city blocks, back & forth four times (8 blocks total) and had motor temp of 138 and a ESC temp of 136. One of the reasons I got the full aluminum tranny is that it also works as a heat sink & it also helps stabilize the torque of the 4-pole motor. I could not run a 25t pinion on the stock plastic case because of motor temps (Low 160's). Note: I have a 65c constant/130c burst 6600mah ******* Li-Po on order - I am expecting 55-60mph after arrival of said Li-Po. I also expect temps to go up a bit with the power.
    Last edited by online6; 05-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.

They might not,I can run my 3800kv castle 16/56 32p on a 6500mah 65c 2s,and hammer it pretty good,and the temps,stay around 140/150.
    That's with out breaks,the 4600 might get a bit hotter.
    And the outside temps have a lot to do with it also.
    Good luck with your speed runs,and your right, they do get the motor hot faster,just give it a break,and enjoy the ride.