RC Qualifier

Single Speed for the Nitro Revo?

Do they make a single speed conversion for the nitro revo?

RC Champion
    if you manufacture one, NO... but someone once did it here years ago.. pretty decent too.
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Champion
    Some shmuck made a hundred or so single speed conversions, about 5 years ago or so. It reduced the rotating mass of the tranny by 15 grams or so. The single speed conversion were always only going to be boutique (limited quantity) parts, and only sold on a first come/first served basis.

It took him over 3 years to get rid of them all, and he only sold them for the cost to make them (what an idiot). He laughs now, when somebody ask him to make them just one. He says to himself; this guy has no idea that these were made on a multi axis lathe with live tooling, and all the time that it takes to just set up the machine. Then there is the dialing in of the machine, so as to hold the tolerances that he imposes on his own work. So after 2 hours or so, one will be made, inspected, and then production starts. So, in the end, to make just one part, it is gonna cost somebody about $150 (2.5 hours roughly).

He also is humoured by the folks that want the CAD drawings of some of his works. You should have heard him laughing when he spent over a year designing and building his own billet aluminum pipes, until he finally found the correct setup (it only took about 7 or 8 different configurations to find the magic numbers), then somebody nonchalantly asks for the drawings. Like it's no big deal. To me, that's like asking for secret sauce recipe.

There is another method to lock the tranny in gear. It adds a good bit of weight to the drivetrain though. Basically, you bolt second gear to the second gear clutch.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Champion
    Now that shmuck is machining other things, like guitars, guitar tube amp combo's, and bass guitars. I suspect it is much more rewarding than machining RC parts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    what a schmuck he was... :-)

Yeah, so generous he was.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    OK lol wich one of you were making them? Are there any left if not can you make me a set?

Quote Originally Posted by Oomp View Post
    Now that shmuck is machining other things, like guitars, guitar tube amp combo's, and bass guitars. I suspect it is much more rewarding than machining RC parts.
    Are you calling yourself names? Isn't this the single speed you mention in your very own photobucket account?

Thing is with a single speed you either are getting rid of first gear, which is what this looks like, and no bottom end...
    Now most single speed conversions you loose a little off the top and some off the bottom when it comes to speed and power... So I can see why it might not have sold very many for small blocks, but geared right with a BB it could be interesting... IMHO.
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 04-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Champion
    LOL. Yes, it is me. Darn, I thought I blocked all those Photobucket pic's.

So far as losing off the top or bottom, well it's really just the bottom end that suffered. BUT, I run an OS 18TZ, which has a powerband that comes on a little sooner then the 3.3, and it pulls harder accross that powerband. So it was only a slight burble out of the hole, and then we could catch up to the BB truggies (had no choice but to run with them) midway down the straight, and keep up with them. I run the same final gear ratio as a Losi 2.0 truggy. On a humourous note, the first time we raced with a single speed, my son raced 2 qualifying rounds before they realized it was a Revo. I run a truggy body, and the powerband of the TZ caught all of them off guard. They didnt hear any shifting, so they were confused. They all heard what sounded like a SB, but it was keeping up with them, so they thought it was a truggy. Yes, in the infield they did have more get up and go, but my son was right on their tails the whole time. In the end, they win, but it was fun. They are not fans of Revo's at our track, and I looked forward to messing with their heads. I really messed with their heads when I bolted up the TZ to my sons buggy. On that chassis, the TZ hangs right with them. My son is going around during practice, and people are lined up wondering what is going on with that buggy? Same thing; "Is that a SB?". LOL, "yes".

The main benefit of the single speed is consistency. With the single speed and center diff, the truck is way more controllable mid-air. Doing away with shifting made it more predictable coming out of turns, and managing the infield. Our track is tight and technical, and you are on and off throttle a lot.

I concede that a modified 3.3 with a 2 speed, may beat my truck, but again our local track is tight, and I would be willing to lay down $. While you are pulling hard in first gear, I am already into my powerband and the TZ just keeps pulling and pulling. If our track was bigger, a 2 speed would most likely be necessary. BUT, Tim Roberts (former Traxxas driver), also agrees with you Naught, that a .21 with the single speed would most likely do well. But then there are other issues such as weight and balance. If I would have came out with them a year or so earlier, I probably could have got rid of a bunch. MT racing was dying down when I started making them.

So, slayer, if you want to make a single speed plate (Smithy CNC right?); pull out second gear, and reverse engineer the inside profile of the back of the gear, to get your major OD. Reverse engineer the second gear primary clutch, to get its ID, boss diameter, pin hole diameter and location. Add the depth of the inside pocket depth of the gear, and the length of the boss of the primary clutch to get your OAL. I machined them out of 6061 and 2024. You will need to mill two angled slots into the major OD, to clear the hardened pin/ramp area of the gear, and drill a hole for the pin which held the primary clutch in place. Take first gear and it's primary clutch and throw it out the window.

It has been years since I made them, and as I stated previously, I am not making any more RC parts to sell. I have tinkered and tinkered, and made a lot of other parts for the Revo over the years. Two of my parts were copied and sold by manufacturers, and that kinda pee'd me off. One was, a manufacturer actually contacted me to purchase some of my Picco bumpstart backplates (their name sounds like HOFNA, but without the H), and next thing I know they are selling the same part for $22 more than mine. Another was my slipper clutch eliminator, that was stolen by a smaller shop that sells Revo parts and happens to have CNC machines in-house. GRRRR. That is all behind me now that I am making guitars and such. I am in the middle of making a guitar right now, with a mahogany body, maple inlays, fixed bridge, and 2 humbuckers with a 5 way tone switch. I am deep into my new hobby, and will soon be machining my own necks to go with my bodies. I also have made engraved 3D wooden pictures (from actual photographs that I scan into my 'puter), acrylic signs with LED lighting, and I just finished machining brass fuel tank badges for a 1954 BSA Golden Flash motorcycle. I am just having too much fun to stop and concern myself with RC parts.
    Last edited by Oomp; 04-27-2013 at 12:50 AM.

RC Qualifier
    nice work.. I am trying to get to grips with our mini CNC machine at work its hard adn complex starting from scratch with no knowledge at all... so my hat comes off to you sir..lol

RC poster
    I am trying to make a revo crawler. I have jato gears 16/58 or 60 can't remember right now, but
    I want to go lower. Should I get close ratio, of is there an aftermarket
    First gear that will get me lower? I set the shift so high it won't hit second, just need more torque.

RC Champion
    no after market for first.. try a smaller clutch bell

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kgombe1 View Post
    no after market for first.. try a smaller clutch bell

I would, but jato gears are different pitch than the revo. Revo cb will strip jato SG.
    On close ratio is first geared lower?

Everyone needs a Sig. Papa 220 and baby 238.

RC Champion
    no only second.. on all the ratios the revo offer, first stays the same... they dont have a small jato clutch bell??

quick search

http://www.racers-edge.com/14T_Maxx_...p/rce14914.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Tooth-Clu...-/350479832337
    Last edited by kgombe1; 04-27-2013 at 07:22 PM.

RC poster
    Did you make that amp, or just the cabinet? Looks cool either way. Are you selling amps or instruments?

RC Champion
    No, I did not make the amp, but I plan on replacing that amp. I am going to assemble the replacement amp. I am not selling anything yet, but I am going to keep making guitars and hope to sell some of them off eventually. I just need to refine some aspects, and fine tune my style.

RevoDeano, I know what you mean. The machines I run at work are complex. My machine at home is straight G Code programming, but I have 2D CAD/CAM, 3D CAD/CAM, photography/CAM software (I guess that is what I should call it). Some days at work, when the jobs looks to be difficult, I wish I had my home software to utilize the CAM aspects.

RC Champion
    Slayer17, check your PM's