Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by larsen8 View Post
    I'm really just going on theory here. At this point I'm no longer concerned about specifics like ESC wiring, voltage, etc. I'm trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I already know how I'm going to wire the BEC into my Summit. But I've got so much engineer blood in me that I want to know how and why things work the way they do.
    I can personally say that the 10 amp (max) CC BEC will power two Savöx SA1230SG's 500oz/in servos. They have a stall amp load of 5 amps each. However unless you run solid steering without the servo saver spring (solid bushing in place of the spring as I do sometimes when strictly crawling... it's nice to steer when you want instead of when the spring wants to. ) you will never reach the stall rating of a high torque servo. The spring will give around 200oz/in. I powered my steering servos from the CC BEC sending the signal wire only to the reciever leaving the esc bec to power the reciever and 3 micro servos. My reasoning for doing it this way is that I didn't want to pull those kind of amps through the radio. The CC BEC supplying ample voltage/amperage wasn't a a concern it was the heat build up from pulling a possible sustained high amp draw. The original evx2 is rated @ 3amps max. While I assume the reciever bus will handle much more than that (like a higher end JR reciever that actually posts it's max amp spec @ 35 amp continuous, 55 amp max burst) I simply did not wish to tax the unknown bus specs of the TQI reciever. This works... and that's what you wanted to know.

RC Qualifier
    Hello All!

Ive taken my first attempt at drafting my CC BEC harness.

I am trying to power both the RX and servo with the BEC set a 6v. I'm thinking a y harness to link the BEC/Servo/RX?

I SUCK at Paint, but here is what it looks like.

Today I made this, close to what Jamann uses i believe:

Here is what I plan to do so far:

Does this seem suitable?

I need to know if any other wires need to be disconnected. People have said bad things can happen if you don't disconnect extra wires in the LVC equiped EVX-2 ?
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

To run the servo and the rest of the truck off the bec no harness required.
    If you wanted to run the servo at 7.4 (if capable) then the harness is needed
    As the evx supplies 6v power to everything BUT the servo.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    The only reason I put the y-harness in there was to get the bec/servo/rx connected in 1 slot on the rx. I only have 1 slot available ATM.

I Should have a spare channel on the rx (second steering servo no longer used) but I don`t because Ive placed a glitch buster in that empty channel already.

Is there a way to remove the y-harness from this scenario? and any other wires need to removed so I don`t fry something?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    Here is what I plan to do so far:

Does this seem suitable?

I need to know if any other wires need to be disconnected. People have said bad things can happen if you don't disconnect extra wires in the LVC equiped EVX-2 ?
    If you plan on using you diagram in this fashion you will definitely have a meltdown. The way this wired now both bec's are powering the reciever,micro servos and led. You must disconnect the red power wire from the evx2 harness and tape it back. If you disconnect the evx2 red wire then everything will be powered by the CC BEC at whatever voltage you programmed into the CC-BEC(stock voltage setting is 5v... the castle link is needed to program for higher voltages). Once the red wire from the evx2 is disconnected this setup will work and with the power wires in a y connector the way you have drawn, the amp load of the steering servo will bypass the reciever.

You could also leave the red wire from the evx2 to power the reciever and it's peripherals and run the power wires from the CC-BEC directly to the servo and run only the signal wire from the servo to the reciever. But if done this way you must still tap into the battery that powers the bec on the evx2 power the CC BEC. If you connect the CC BEC to the other battery when the evx2 is powering the reciever there will be an open ground circuit internally on the evx2 due to it's internal series design and the steering servo will be powered up but will not operate/respond to reciever commands.

If you choose a 7.4v servo and are running lipos you can wire them directly the the bec side battery connector of the evx2 and simply run the signal wire to the reciever, deleting the need for a bec at all.

As I posted earlier my CC-BEC only powers my 2 steering servos @6.1v with a max amp load matching the bec @ 10amps. I only wired this way to keep minimal stress on my electronics. There are many other options as well depending on how complicated you wish to make everything. But with RC, especially in the field, Simple is usually better.

So with that all said the SIMPLE way for replacing 2 weak steering servos with one high torque servo would be to disable the evx2 by disconnecting the red wire from it, power everything with the CC-BEC by plugging the it into the open ch1 steering slot and plug your servo directly into the reciever right next to it on the other open ch1 slot. You will no longer need the glitch buster and can save that for another RC. This way is the most direct, simplest, and probably more reliable due to less connectors. Keep in mind the steering servo is really the only thing drawing power continuously. The lights and reciever themselves are in the milliamp range and the shift servos are only powered for a second each cycle. Sorry for the length of this. I try to explain properly and then I realise how wordy it has become. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDragon View Post
    I try to explain properly and then I realise how wordy it has become. Hope this helps.

This was perfect. Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks alot!

So is it good to have the servos amp load bypass the RX?

I never needed the glitch buster. Was just for extra protection i guess. So I will ditch the y-harness and glitch buster to make room for the channel on the RX.

When you say remove the red wire, you mean the signal wire right? in my diagram the signal wire is green, so I would be disconnecting the green wire from the evx-2 in my diagram right? Also, it gets disconnected (poped out) at the plucg side of the wire? like a molex connecter does?

So here my new proposed setup:

Hows that look now? Any recommendations?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    This was perfect. Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks alot!

So is it good to have the servos amp load bypass the RX?

I never needed the glitch buster. Was just for extra protection i guess. So I will ditch the y-harness and glitch buster to make room for the channel on the RX.

When you say remove the red wire, you mean the signal wire right? in my diagram the signal wire is green, so I would be disconnecting the green wire from the evx-2 in my diagram right? Also, it gets disconnected (poped out) at the plucg side of the wire? like a molex connecter does?

So here my new proposed setup:

Hows that look now? Any recommendations?
    Close. You will want to remove the red (positive) wire from the ESC-to-RX lead. The signal wire needs to be there for the RX to communicate with the ESC. Removing the red wire disables the ESC's internal BEC from sending power to the RX. Black and white, I think it is, should remain plugged in.
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Qualifier
    I can personally say that the 10 amp (max) CC BEC will power two Savöx SA1230SG's 500oz/in servos. They have a stall amp load of 5 amps each. However unless you run solid steering without the servo saver spring (solid bushing in place of the spring as I do sometimes when strictly crawling... it's nice to steer when you want instead of when the spring wants to. ) you will never reach the stall rating of a high torque servo. The spring will give around 200oz/in. I powered my steering servos from the CC BEC sending the signal wire only to the reciever leaving the esc bec to power the reciever and 3 micro servos. My reasoning for doing it this way is that I didn't want to pull those kind of amps through the radio. The CC BEC supplying ample voltage/amperage wasn't a a concern it was the heat build up from pulling a possible sustained high amp draw. The original evx2 is rated @ 3amps max. While I assume the reciever bus will handle much more than that (like a higher end JR reciever that actually posts it's max amp spec @ 35 amp continuous, 55 amp max burst) I simply did not wish to tax the unknown bus specs of the TQI reciever. This works... and that's what you wanted to know.
    Good info. Thanks. However, I was not wondering about whether the BEC could handle the current, but rather if the servo wires and connectors could.

with the power wires in a y connector the way you have drawn, the amp load of the steering servo will bypass the reciever.
    THANK YOU. That has been one of my ongoing questions. Whether or not a Y-harness bypasses.

RC Competitor
    Northern Adventurer--- Larson8 is correct leave the signal and ground wires to the evx2, only remove the red power wire from the center of the jr connector.

Larson8--- I have personally never seen an RC or hobby size servo with more than around 600oz/in and of those they were only running 18 awg wire. My 500 oz/in servos are 20 awg. Poor connections will create heat and meltdown. I would suggest any connector that has been plugged in over say 100 times should be replaced if used for high current. Other than that the CC-BEC is a 10 amp rated supply and uses 20 awg wire. They wouldn't sell it that way if it was and issue. I even have my CC-BEC battery supply wires on 20 awg with jst connectors so I can quickly swap from brushed to brushless as desired.

As for the y harness... yes it does relieve the reciever of the current load if what ever is pulling current is on that y-harness. However if there is a bec voltage spike (malfunction) it will carry through the reciever as well.

If you check out this vid this robot uses 18 hitec 645mg servos powered by 2 CC-BEC's. I'd say it's a safe bet one will be safe for a Summit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryO0...e_gdata_player

RC Competitor
    To whom it may concern:
    I just wired a BEC into an Axial Wraith via this setup. The servo is running on 7.4v and all seems to be working well.
    I want to use this connection. But I am not sure why ground wire (black) between RX and BEC is connected. I think that is not needed here, am I wrong? Thank you
    Last edited by Marek_K; 01-02-2014 at 01:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You are right, no black from BEC to rx. Only signal wire from rx to servo is needed.
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, that is absolutely right. However, I don't think having that extra negative wire there would do any damage. But I'm not sure on that so don't quote me.

Also, I recently wired up my Summit with the below setup. I had previously created a thread detailing what I did, but it disappeared. Anyways, it works really well. I'm using a 20a switching BEC that has adjustable output all the way up to 9v. Everything has been waterproofed, but I have yet to test in water.

With this setup I now get the benefits of:
    - Being able to run high voltage, higher draw electronics/servos
    - I no longer have to worry about over drawing or overworking the internal ESC BEC
    - The led flicker on the truck is gone
    - The voltage and amp draw of my JR Z9100T servo bypasses the RX, thus putting no unneeded stress on the RX.
    - BEC draws equally off of both batteries.
    - And now my receiver box has TONS of extra room in it.

RC poster
    With this setup I now get the benefits of:
    - Being able to run high voltage, higher draw electronics/servos
    - I no longer have to worry about over drawing or overworking the internal ESC BEC
    - The led flicker on the truck is gone
    - The voltage and amp draw of my JR Z9100T servo bypasses the RX, thus putting no unneeded stress on the RX.
    - BEC draws equally off of both batteries.
    - And now my receiver box has TONS of extra room in it.
    With this set up aren't you supplying the BEC with 4s of voltage? I assume your BEC can handle that. I was a bit nervous about trying this method. I used the plug traxxas supplies with the voltage sensor for telemetry. It is installed on the BEC side of the ESC. The exernal BEC (HeyOK no brainer BEC) supplies 7.4v to the steering servo, and the EVX BEC supplies 6v to everything else. I have uneven voltages after a run, but I simply swap sides the next time.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, there is 4s input on the BEC. My BEC can handle up to 6s I believe.

RC Racer
    Yes, there is 4s input on the BEC. My BEC can handle up to 6s I believe.
    What can the stock evx2 handle?
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Racer
    sorry...disregard that last one.
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Qualifier
    I take that back. My BEC can handle up to 12s lipo input. I don't know if forum rules have changed regarding posting other name brands, but I am using a ********* YEP 20A HV SBEC.

RC Qualifier
    Apparently the rules have not changed.