RC Racer

Question Rustler XL-5 brush problem? Maybe you can help? Did I get a good deal on it also?

I bought this XL-5 Rustler for $100 and it came with a controller, 7 cell 3000 mah battery and charger, 2 sets of tires, new front shocks, and a wheelie bar installed.... the person who sold it to me said the brush is out of place and he couldn't get it too stay in, and he showed me that it did run, it just keeps falling out. It needs to be soldered but I don't know where exactly... maybe you can help me/show me where it goes? And did I get a good deal for $100? I wanted an electric RC car because all I have is nitro and I didn't want to spend too much. So if $100 is a good deal I'm pretty happy. Here's the video, watch in HD if you want.

The brush shunt wire should be soldered to the same spot as the positive motor wire, or in that vicinity. Easiest way would be to solder it right to the positive wire. If it's not long enough, you can also solder it to the back side of the terminal where the motor wire is soldered to.

Is there a small screw going into the motor end bell right next to where the positive terminal is? If so, it might be easier to get a new pair of brushes with eyelets and screw them on.

I'm terrible at posting pics, but here is an ebay motor listing that shows a clear shot of the end bell with the brush screwed on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yoko...item4172ae0e4f

And here is one that's soldered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-BLACK-p...item4ac3da83f2

You can basically solder it to anywhere on that side of the end bell, but it's probably easiest to solder it to a terminal since there's less surface area and will require less heat.
    Last edited by harry697; 04-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.

RC Racer
    awesome, ill check that out tomorrow, thanks, did I get a good deal you think?

RC Racer
    Do you think I got a good deal on this for what it came with and stuff??? What is the value of it as it sits you think? and when it's running good again?

It's hard to say without better pictures. These trucks depend a lot on condition, equipment and age.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    not a bad deal. i would just put in a new motor. its only 15-20 bucks

RC Qualifier
    +1 for motor replacement. That motor in the video looks rough and a brand new Titan 12t is less than $20

I think you got a pretty good deal for $100. Most dont come with electronics for $100.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Qualifier
    Just go straight to brushless if you wanna get a new motor, saves you money in the future. Look into it and you'll see a huge difference.
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Racer
    I would also recommend going brushless, I had a titan for about 7 months and had no problems, however I have heard of people on here having problems with them burning out, and there are plenty of inexpensive brushless systems out there that will give you much better performance.

RC Champion
    Ya , after going thought 4 titian motors , went with the VXL system and never well hv a bush motor again . jmo
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    Might go brushless, but not now. I wanna mess around with this motor until I need a new one. haha.

RC Racer
    then like harry 697 said I would see if you have the screws next to the post if you do then it would be easier to just get a new set of brushes and screw them on using the eyelet. If you solder it on it might make it difficult to get off if you need to replace the brushes later.

RC Racer
    I tryed messing with it tonight and when i could hear it connect it would make a sound and then I got to hold it with my finger and it would go good but I noticed I had to push it against the wall of the metal. Then I let it go and it started sparking a little and now it won't even go when I hold it or make a sound. What happened??

RC Racer
    Can't be sure without seeing it but the spark could have been the normal arc you get when you connect two wires under a load, it could also have been a sign of something shorting out which may have fried one or more components.
    Last edited by luckybobb; 04-27-2013 at 08:56 PM.

RC Racer
    So do you think I should just get a new motor

RC Racer
    I just took another look and it looks like that is a midnight motor is that correct?

If that is the case, I have the same motor , for about 20 -25 dollars at the local hobby store you cn get a titan and trust me it will give you more speed and more a little more run time.

So yes if it were me IT would just grab a titan so I could go out nd have some fun, jut make sure you break in the motor correctly

RC Champion
    i agree with luck. grab a new traxxas titan 12t and make sure you break it in. or you can grab an hpi 15t firebolt motor which will work well also. still needs break in but can be had for the same price as the titan or maybe a few bucks less.

RC Racer
    how do you break it in?

RC Racer
    You can find a bunch of videos on you tube, but here is the Traxxas method
    http://traxxas.com/support/Brief-bre...itan-12T-motor

RC Racer
    Oh okay, thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Judging on it being an xl5 rustler for 100$ absolutely u stole it, I'd say u made ur money bak with just the esc and everything else is a bonus, good luck with it and welcome to the electric scene
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Racer
    awesome, thanks... trying to solder it later after i get home, hopefully i'll get it to work electric is so much easier omg.