RC Enthusiast

lowering and narrowing width?

so ive looked as far as my google power can handle. but i was wondering if there is any way to lower the cg of the summit? more narrow the width and lower the body a bit? is it as easy as putting some e revo arms on it? i dont need/want to go as narrow as a LT but just something to bring it in a little bit. any help? i know the summit is intended to have the wide stance but as time goes on i want to tinker with things.

I'm running zero offset tec 5 rims it narrows it by a inch or two.
    I cut my body posts and got the shell down as low as I could.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    How much are you wanting to narrow it? The stock wheels have a 1/2" offset so you could narrow the satnce by 1" just by changing the wheels and going with a standard (zero) offset.

If your talking more of a 1:1 scale there is a link below that may be helpful.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=scaled+summit
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Champion
    Lowering the body is easy. I dropped mine about a inch or more. I keep my suspension level instead of jacked up and running huge mudslinger tires. I think the tires narrowed it 1/2 to 1 inch as they are a narrow tire compared to most 40 series tire. Don't have a good pic but if you search my posts you will find some pics. Truck is really stable with this set up

RC Qualifier
    If you're wanting a lower COG then you can change the rockers and pushrods to a P2 or P3 setup. This will bring the suspension down a bit.

RC Qualifier
    Lowering the CG always a good idea however there is a price to pay, you lose the Summit looks and character. I've tried lowering the body, removing the exo cage and bits in the hopes of better handling etc... however it lost the 'cool factor' so I went back to stock and added more lights LOL. Anyways I didn't really notice any performance gains.

IMO the biggest gain will be changing out the heavy Summit body to E-revo without the wing. It's a huge makeover for the Summit, what are you willing to do for performance gain?

I also like the tech5 zero offset idea, it removes scrub when you steer, reduce turning radius, and should improve steering when diffs are locked.

I like Blacksheep's idea, make changes that are free before you spend any money. Also try driving without the body.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    FYI: Revo arms will have the same width as Summit arms.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the input! its much appreciated! I bought the tech 5 wheels with 40 series trenchers today! ill start with that and lowering the body mounts a bit. then ill get into playing with the suspension.

RC Qualifier
    I have the Trencher 40 series with the zero offset tech 5 wheels. It narrowed it by 2 inches, doesnt sound like much but it a 15% reduction. I lowered my body a full inch so the bottom of the body is even with the bottom of the battery compartment. I used the #80802 RPM Black Front Bumper Mount for the REVO. I used them in the front and the rear. The bumpers come straight off the chassis instead of sloping up like the stock mounts. I cut half the cross brace out of the front body posts and cut the bottom off of all the body posts and drilled 2 new holes in the front posts. Not hard to do. It does make a difference in the center of gravity and helps with the more narrow profile.

I also left the double orange springs in the front and replaced the rear with double purple (stiffest springs) and adjusted the preload on the shock more than half way. Still squats some when I accelerate but recovers very quickly. The trenchers will turn the Summit way faster than the Canyons and I find in rock crawling the stock servos can turn the tires easily, not so with the wider tires. A few photos of a stock Summit vs the Modified one.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Brick, can you weight the wheels stock traxxas vs the tech5/trenchers?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    Brick, can you weight the wheels stock traxxas vs the tech5/trenchers?
    I dont know what you are asking me. Do you want me to weigh them or want to know if you can add weight to them or do you want me to rate them?

RC Qualifier
    LOL I'm wonder how much lighter or heavier the tech5/trenchers are compared to the stock Summit tires and wheels.

RC Qualifier
    My kitchen is being remodeled so I have everything in crates. As soon as I can find my scale I will weigh each one and let you know. I didnt notice any real difference when I was putting them on.

I never weighed mine but have added 6oz to each front wheel.pretty close if I remember.trenchers are a bit thicker and stiffer until they break in or if you can trim the foams,i didn't I used the "water" method.they are broke in now lol.they wear pretty good I have been
    Running them for quite a while now
    Trimmed the small inner and outer lugs recently seems to have helped a fair bit.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I cant speak for the Tech5/Trencher setup but I can tell you the Trenchers on Proline Cheyenne wheels are MUCH hevier that stock. I dont think I will be adding any weight to mine. LOL

But I have to say........I'm loving thes tires!!!!

Like jamann said ^^ they Trenches are very stiff compared to the Canyons. I was thinking about seeing if jamann would break mine in. Ha Ha

And I agree with maxi single, that you have to weigh the pro's/con's before you lower the suspension. You kind of give up what the Summit is all about. I personally think you need a couple more trucks.........one for every driving condition. LOL

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=jamann;5488501]I never weighed mine but have added 6oz to each front wheel.pretty close if I remember.trenchers are a bit thicker and stiffer until they break in or if you can trim the foams,i didn't I used the "water" method.they are broke in now lol.they wear pretty good I have been
    Trimmed the small inner and outer lugs recently seems to have helped a fair bit.

What did you use to add weight to the tires and wheels? I would like to also add some weight to the front Trencher 40 series and tech 5 wheels but didn't know what to use.

RC Qualifier
    For anyone interested in wheel weight:

Stock - Geode / Canyon ATs... 11.5oz
    Axial - 8 spoke Oversized Beadlocks / Trencher X... 16oz

As for adding weights to the front for better climbing abilities I can say for certain that on loose rocky and steep terrain the lighter stock wheels climb just as good as the Axial/Trencher Xs even tho the Axial combo is heavier. Just my opinion I think the best way to improve climbing abilities is taller profile tires ie Mud Slingers etc for added ground clearance.

When climbing steep angles and obstacles my Summit high centers alot especially the rear skids. By design the bottom of the chassis is flat from skid to skid while scaler chassis are raised. Factor in the Summit's 13lb heft and it's like dragging a frying pan over rocks.

IMO anything (and this depends on what terrain you run on) to raise the ground clearance will help with climbing while adding weight will not necessary help because the Summit is heavy enough as is LOL

[QUOTE=BRICK57;5488686]
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I never weighed mine but have added 6oz to each front wheel.pretty close if I remember.trenchers are a bit thicker and stiffer until they break in or if you can trim the foams,i didn't I used the "water" method.they are broke in now lol.they wear pretty good I have been

What did you use to add weight to the tires and wheels? I would like to also add some weight to the front Trencher 40 series and tech 5 wheels but didn't know what to use.
    Stick on automotive wheel weights.
    dry fit with tape to make sure they are not way out of balance.clean with 99%iso alcohol stick them on.
    Good to go.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    I cant speak for the Tech5/Trencher setup but I can tell you the Trenchers on Proline Cheyenne wheels are MUCH hevier that stock. I dont think I will be adding any weight to mine. LOL

But I have to say........I'm loving thes tires!!!!

Like jamann said ^^ they Trenches are very stiff compared to the Canyons. I was thinking about seeing if jamann would break mine in. Ha Ha

And I agree with maxi single, that you have to weigh the pro's/con's before you lower the suspension. You kind of give up what the Summit is all about. I personally think you need a couple more trucks.........one for every driving condition. LOL
    They won't look shiney and clean like that anymore Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 04-24-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    so do your tires rub on your body when u compress the suspention and turn? i have my summit body lowered and cut most of my posts off. but... my 40 series big joes rub on my body while climbing? ill try to post a pic tonight about the issue summit people can always help.
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Qualifier
    I have the Trencher 40 series on a zero offset tech 5 wheel, lowered my body as low as I can get it ( bottom of the body even with the bottom of the battery case) and I have no problem turning in any situation. these tires are thinner than most Trenchers. Maybe Blacksheep or Jamann can comment on the other Trenchers. I have another Summit with the same lowered body with the stock Geode and Canyon tires and have no problems with those.

The trenchers are narrower and so are the rims.the joe's are wider. pretty rare for me to rub except under extreme flex and the right situation

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I have the normal trenchers and now a set of mud slingers. Body is lowered right down also and have no issues when out bashing have never rubbed. But if you cycle the suspension by hand u can make it rub

RC Qualifier
    I do not have any rubbing issues either and my Trenchers are the (Narrow) 40 Series too. I have a set of Trencher X's mounted on Goede wheels but I run those on either my erbe or 3.3…….they are wider like the Joes.

I have not lowered my body all the way yet, waiting on my RPM Bumper Mounts but can’t see it being an issue even when it's as low as I plan to take it.

RC Qualifier
    I have the Trencher X`s with my body lowered as far as I could. I have no rubbing issues.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.