RC Qualifier

the summit and the brushless

Hi guys!
    So I think it's inevitable, I'm going brushless. I know it breaks everything but I need the fun of excess. So I was wondering what are the different sensored brushless motor available for the summit?
    I heard a lot of good thing about the tekin 2650kv t8 motor and rx8 ESC. My first objective is to avoid heat issue no matter what style of driving I have. I just want something that run cool and above 2600kv.

Thanks!
    Last edited by emmanhello; 04-23-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: I ca'nt splel
    ... for the fun of excess!

RC Champion
    Above 2600kv is dangerous depending on the gearing in the truck! I run 2350kv and a 22t pinion, with smaller than stock tires... if it was any faster it would destroy itself COMPLETELY if it rolled near top speed.

As you said though, you want the fun of excess! Haha, so Tekin's are favoured by most people I've decided because they spend SO MUCH and then it actually WORKS! So they praise the quality. I'm using a motor I found on the internet, 2350kv 4-pole sensored and it's perfect too, but only cost ~$55-60.

The magic is all done within the ESC.

I suggest a high priced ESC over motor any day.

Currently though I'm using my Castle MMP (1/10 esc) to power my motor. I wouldnt' suggest it for the 2600kv though even though I'm not sure why! Haha.

Expensive ESC, cheap motor = best combo.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks! Seems like 2350kv would be enough...
    I currently have the MMP for my stampede with a castle 2400kv and I managed to reach the high temp protection... Even if it was EXTREME condition (slush, 17t pinion and 4s) I'm a bit afraid it could overheat too in the summit... I don't know.
    I might buy a 2350kv motor, try it with my MMP and if it overheat, I will buy a bigger ESC. What do you think?

Also, which is better: 6s and smaller kv or 4s and higher kv motor?

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Above 2600kv is dangerous depending on the gearing in the truck! I run 2350kv and a 22t pinion, with smaller than stock tires... if it was any faster it would destroy itself COMPLETELY if it rolled near top speed.

As you said though, you want the fun of excess! Haha, so Tekin's are favoured by most people I've decided because they spend SO MUCH and then it actually WORKS! So they praise the quality. I'm using a motor I found on the internet, 2350kv 4-pole sensored and it's perfect too, but only cost ~$55-60.

The magic is all done within the ESC.

I suggest a high priced ESC over motor any day.

Currently though I'm using my Castle MMP (1/10 esc) to power my motor. I wouldnt' suggest it for the 2600kv though even though I'm not sure why! Haha.

Expensive ESC, cheap motor = best combo.
    I agree with you
    I recommend the tekin its because i have gone through two offshore esc's and a MMP.The tekin has given me zero issues,I'm running a budget friendly xerun 2000kv motor more than enough power to overpower my driving skills. lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Don't remind me about the dead MMP!! Geeez..

As for that 6s vs 4s question, it's best to run the Summit in 4s for every day driving and bashing and crawling. You get more battery life so you can play longer per charge. 6s on the same motor and gearing would be too much for the car in my opinion. 6s and lower kv means more torque AND more power, 4s and higher kv means less torque and lots of speed still. There is no need for HALF the torque these things can put down, and even if you could put it down you would sooner twist the car apart than you would push your house over.

4s ftw!

RC Qualifier
    Also you may have difficulty finding 3s that will fit into the battery compartment. 2s is already a very snug fit. I run 4s and if it ran any faster it would not be stable. VERY happy with the Tekin 2250 and MMP set up. I do agree that if you're on a budget spend the $$ on the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Ok then 4s will be.
    I could go with a MMP + 2350kv motor 68mm long OR 70mm longer 2400kv (both from hobby king) or the Tekin TT2360 4038 2250kv (76mm)
    Which do you recommend?
    And how is the Tekin RX8 compared to the MMP? I've heard the MMP have difficulty to handle certain type of servo and need external BEC?
    Last edited by emmanhello; 04-23-2013 at 04:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I have 2 choice and would like to be helped to make a pro/con list.

1 - Tekin RX8 + T8 2250kv motor:

+''looks'' to be good quality.
    +Probably will never get heat issue (Continuous Current: 210 Amps*)

-Expensive (320$)
    -need Hot wire for programming +30$
    -Too strong?

2 - MMP + cheap 2400kv or 2350kv sensored from hobby king

+inexpensive (190$)
    +already have MMP so won't need programmer card

? Motor MAY be bad quality (but also as good as a tekin t8)
    ? MMP may become hot? 65A esc rated for 120A burst may also be enough.

- MMP may not be strong enough to have 2 servo (I saw this somewhere)
    - ^ in this case, I will need BEC? +30$

What else?
    Last edited by emmanhello; 04-27-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added pro/cons

RC Champion
    The Tekin is easy to program. Unlike the MMP the tekin has two buttons and a bank of LEDs on the ESC itself. So you can program lipo cut off, throttle, brake, punch, drag brake all from the ESC. The program box is only needed for advanced settings. Since you already have the MMP I would go that route and save the money for other upgrades. Personally I like the Tekin but I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY MMP. But I ran it with the two stock servos, I don't know if a bec would be required with high end servos.
    Last edited by noir 522; 04-27-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

My MMP going out seems to be the exception haven't heard of any others so if you have a MMP use it,It works.
    The tekin is smoother and a bit nicer for sure.the MMP if you do mostly lower speed and gear within reason should do fine.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Wow thanks guys! Now I know what I want. Even if the MMP should be fine for a summit, I see myself in the future regretting my choice and will go with a Tekin combo.
    As I said, I love the fun of excess. Even if it's really expensive.... I probably won't regret that choice.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm, it's out of stock EVERYWHERE!!!! Does anyone know where can I buy one shipped to canada? Is the Tekin RX8 / 2250kv T8 a discontinued product?

Not discontinued that I know of.they are hard to find lately, not sure why that is
    A few on eBay.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I would go for the tekin esc at least like most suggested. I just went with the 2250kv combo for simplicity. I wouldn't suggest an mmp. I had one in a rally that gave out on me, hate to see what would happen with the summits added weight.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, this is the choice I did. Waiting for the RX8 w/ 2250kv to get back in stock and then buy it!

Thanks again everybody!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    Hmm, it's out of stock EVERYWHERE!!!! Does anyone know where can I buy one shipped to canada? Is the Tekin RX8 / 2250kv T8 a discontinued product?
    I'm guessing this is the reason why they were out of stock everywhere.

RX8 Gen2
    Summit TQi w/ Dewalt 14.4v, MERV

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    I'm guessing this is the reason why they were out of stock everywhere.

RX8 Gen2
    That would be a good reason.
    I have no complaints with the Old school GEN1 lol.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Omg, I really hope this will reduce the price of the gen 1... I feel like this one's gonna be expensive!
    Anyway, the shop where I want to buy the old gen 1 say it'll be in stock early may. It probably won't be discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    That would be a good reason.
    I have no complaints with the Old school GEN1 lol.

Sent using lipo power
    ''Old shcool GEN1'' Yeah really old, it's so 2009

RC Champion
    Actually it looks as though the gen2 is being sold at the same price as the gen1. Time to look for some low price gen1 Tekins. You know how folks are willing to sell perfectly good items just to obtain the newest thing.

Even the Tekin rx8 4 hole case with black heat sink sells for less than the same rx8 with the 3 hole case with the red heat sink. Same ESC with just a bit more sturdy case.
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-02-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Stock up time ..lol
    noir you have at least two i see lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    TowerHobbies is expecting the RX8 Gen2 to be in stock in early May. I've been keeping an eye on it also, as I'm thinking about getting a 2000kv combo.
    Summit TQi w/ Dewalt 14.4v, MERV

RC Competitor
    I'm on the same boat. I've been waiting for the rx8 to come back in stock. Does anyone know if the new esc will be sold as a combo with the t8 motor? Or just esc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by alexarizpe View Post
    I'm on the same boat. I've been waiting for the rx8 to come back in stock. Does anyone know if the new esc will be sold as a combo with the t8 motor? Or just esc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sadly, I dont think. The shop where I want to buy it have the rx8 gen2 on order (for 199$) but not any combo with the gen2. Only the gen1.
    In the future, maybe...