Thread: HELP how do i..

RC Racer

Question HELP how do i..

i found it gets peoples attention if u dont finish your post sentence then they are more likely to click and respond because there like o0o0o0 how do you what? annnyywwayyy..

how do i or is there a way of removing the paint on a painted body. i got a nice body from a guy for my summit but.. its painted like a rican flag lol can i use a product to remove the paint and not hurt the plastic? so i can repaint it? because right now i covered it with white duck tape. please help me save this body.
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Nothing that I know of will remove the paint without at least clouding the Lexan.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I remember reading in the painting section on RCCrawler.com where there were several discussions about people having done this. Wasn't looking to do it myself so didn't pay too close attention.

Supposed to be a YouTube vid about using DOT4 brake fluid.
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 04-18-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

No its almost impossible. You can use Dot 4 brake cleaners on most paint jobs but Traxxas backs its paint jobs with a white covering which is almost impossible to clear away . I tried with brake fluid overnight but still costed me too much elbow grease to even make a dent. Was easier AND faster to buy and ship a new clear body from eBay.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Yeah but sounds like this is a custom paint job not a Traxxas stock one. Can't say I've ever seen a stock body with a Puerto Rican flag! So maybe it would work...

Sorry to hear about frustrating hours rubbing plastic! cough. cough.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    Stick the body in the freezer over night. In the morning, flex the body hard and fast before it begins to warm up. This was a trick that works if cheap, thin paint was used. Sometimes, (not often) it just cracks off, and once you get it started, you can usually get the rest to peal or chip off. Its time consuming but no real "elbow grease" is needed. Anything that remains, can then be soaked with the brake fluid, but at least you will already have broken the surface seal, so the fluid may be more effective.

Its a long shot, but its worth trying...it worked for me once.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    thanks for the help i traded the hobby shop a set of revo tallons tires and a set of truggy tires both used and the rican flag body for 40 bucks then for some odd reason they had BIG JOES on FIVESTAR rims new in the bag for 38.00 bucks a set so i ended up spending the 40 i got for trade in then bought me some BIG JOES!!!!!!!! only spent 37.98 and got me a set of 40 series BIG JOES!!!!!! problem solved!!!
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Competitor
    Well since you have it covered with tape already, just start from scratch on the outside and apply several coats of clear afterwards to protect against scratches. If you use real polycarbonate body paint and sealer (tamiya, pactra, etc) it will hold up well. Obviously not as durable since it's on the outside but still more appealing than duct tape.