RC Enthusiast

sealing engine and ezstart

I know this topic has been covered quite a few times but I've never seen anyone ask about ez start. Do they make a gasket for the ez start 2 system, and would it hurt if I sealed it with red RTV gasket sealer around the gear housing? The grease gets out and is messy and dirt and debris get in and I just want to clean it up lube it up seal it and forget about it. And what about ont on the engine backplate do they make a gasket to use with the ez start, or should I just use the red RTV sealant.

I've never had the need to seal a 3.3 or any nitro engine with RTV for any reason and many others here haven't had the need to either. Everything in these nitro motors that needs a seal has an O ring for a gasket.

RC Competitor
    Ya was going to do mine today, but carguy is right, everything that would need rtv already has an o-ring.

Ya was going to do mine today, but carguy is right, everything that would need rtv already has an o-ring.
    I'm OCD, so I did mine anyway, just to be sure. I don't think it wll hurt anything, but you don't need to do it anyway.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    i was told by several different people that the 3.3 should always be sealed with RTV. I replaced the header o-ring and still had a leak. The RTV is working better. The o-ring material is something I would like to know... I had one on the carb that was flat and another that was in the shredding process. There are hi-heat oring kits that I think would work better than stock and I can adjust thickness to make a better seal. The engine cant reach temps high enough to destroy them. The Traxxas o-rings can be ruined. My car was bought new however I did have a runaway and WO on its back for a min or two before I caught up to it. (Could explain the cooking o-ring?)
    As for the Easy Start I was told to drill a hole in the case to allow for seepage and to allow a squirt of WD40 in every now and again to clean. (This I have not done.) I asked about the gasket as well. Im assuming there is no compresion between the system and motor..So one is not needed.....?
    If it dont work, kick it as hard as you can.

RC Qualifier
    I've had high end engines leak..most of those o-rings are just cheap..So I take the 15min and green slime the needles, RTV the carb neck and backplate. Then I know it's good to go..the only time you will get a leak then, is when front bearing goes..
    Where It's All RC

Quote Originally Posted by Ckeithnitro View Post
    I've had high end engines leak..most of those o-rings are just cheap..So I take the 15min and green slime the needles, RTV the carb neck and backplate. Then I know it's good to go..the only time you will get a leak then, is when front bearing goes..
    I've had engines leak too.

Improperly installed o-rings/ not seated correctly.
    O-Rings with tears/cuts in them from not being installed correctly.
    O-ring not installed at all... I've seen this one a lot with people who have removed their carbs and not realized there are 2 O-ring's in there....
    Backplate O-ring I've seen not seated properly and or cut.

The fix is just replace the O-ring, head shim if it leaks....

Most common, cracked carb around the HSN from a good accident/wreck, or self inflicted by stripping the HSN housing with cross threading or too much force or both... But that's not an engine leak is it? That's the carb...

Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous