RC Competitor

my servo just hates me.

Last month. I posted about my New 2075 servo (replaced an old 2018) that just stopped working. I called traxxas they were great sent me a new one. But now its doing it. It will not work at all then after turning it on and off 50 or so times it will work until i turn it back off. So I switched the channels on my receiver and the car will go when i turn the knob but the servo still does nothing. Is it possible that the digital servo dosnt like my old am radio system? Any ideas would be great I dont have a bunch of cash to throw at this thing.

This sounds like a receiver or battery problem. Do you have another servo to test?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    I have the old servo, it works fine, for having messed up gears.and i have switched the battery, and it does the same thing.
    Still not sure if for what ever reason the old am radio dosnt work well with the new digotal servo?
    Last edited by lcback; 04-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.

RC Champion
    TRAXXAS is great for that glad to hear the primo customer service treatment is still going around.

As for the servo, I ran the 2075 on the am radio and didn't have any issues - and upgrading to 2.4 didn't make any noticeable improvement. The servo ran fine with both radios.

I'm sorry to hear about your issue, but I'm sure once you get the new servo everything will be fine.

RC Competitor
    Nope this is the new servo that's giving me the same problem

RC Champion
    JMO . Might be your receiver being to old . With receiver do you Hv ? I had the same time on a old receiver didn't like the digotal servo .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    Yeah, that was one thing I was thinking, it is the OLD receiver I font rememver the nimber but its 27mhz.
    Again today I turned it on and got nothing. Then just for giggles tried again and it worked perfectly for 20 min.

I wonder if there is any sort of interference possoble? Should my servo worse not touch battery or ESC wires? I dod send an email about it to one of the traxxas support guys to see if he has any information

RC Racer
    What ESC are you using? It could be the BEC behind your troubles.

I'd say its a brownout, but that usually doesn't happen with the 2075 servo, usually the cheapo servos from China.

If the problem is intermittent and the servo begins suddenly working then suddenly stops, then it could be a brownout. The only solution is a glitch buster, a dedicated cap bank, or more robust esc.

RC Competitor
    It's an LRP ai digital with reverse. I have never heard of a brown out how do i test for that?

RC Competitor
    Okay guys it gets weirder.

So after a good bash the other day I tried again today, and it wasn't working so I was thinking, "what's different, the last time it wasn't working I was sitting out side and brought it in because I was cold. An hour later I tried again and it worked." So I did. That I brought it inside sat it down for 2 hours and turned it on and it worked like a dream for 1 full 3500mah battery at which it was dark and I came in side. So I was thinking its something weird being cold.

But I noticed that when I went to pick it up the power light on my ESC was kind of flickering and I wiggled the switch and it was turning on and off with out actually toggling the switch. So I will be replacing the switch regardless next week end.
    So is there any merit to my servo not liking the cold? Or is this probably from the power switch going out?

Sounds like it's the switch. That should be a good esc. I'm sure there's a scientific way to check for a brownout, but I usually judge by the symptoms which is intermittent power loss when driving then it powers back up like nothing was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lcback View Post
    Okay guys it gets weirder.

So after a good bash the other day I tried again today, and it wasn't working so I was thinking, "what's different, the last time it wasn't working I was sitting out side and brought it in because I was cold. An hour later I tried again and it worked." So I did. That I brought it inside sat it down for 2 hours and turned it on and it worked like a dream for 1 full 3500mah battery at which it was dark and I came in side. So I was thinking its something weird being cold.

But I noticed that when I went to pick it up the power light on my ESC was kind of flickering and I wiggled the switch and it was turning on and off with out actually toggling the switch. So I will be replacing the switch regardless next week end.
    So is there any merit to my servo not liking the cold? Or is this probably from the power switch going out?

Pretty much every esc with an external on/off switch is prone to having issues sooner or later. The normal thing to do is remove the switch and solder the two wires together. There's a good chance that will solve your problem.

RC Competitor
    Okay thank, i was going to solder them to the old switch, not sure the wires are long enough though. Is it okay to just leave it on (soldering them together) and plug/unplug the Battery?

Quote Originally Posted by lcback View Post
    Okay thank, i was going to solder them to the old switch, not sure the wires are long enough though. Is it okay to just leave it on (soldering them together) and plug/unplug the Battery?
    Yes. Just make sure you unplug the battery every time when you're done running. This is especially important if using lipos.