RC Enthusiast

Thermal Images - Traxxas Slash 4x4

Did some thermal images with my FLIR E50. Slash 4x4, Tacon 2800kv, 15t pinion, stock spur, 3S 4000mah 40-50c, WP-SC8 ESC. I did the images right after I hit the neighbors trashcan wide open and took out my left a arm and ESC mount. Fun over...

The first image is at rest, room temperature.

Second image is after 15 minutes of speed runs. Ambiant temperature was about 70 degrees.

As you can see, the aluminum motor mount is definitely dissipating heat.

Last edited by lowandslow; 04-21-2013 at 06:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thats a step above a temp gun!!

RC Qualifier
    Cool, no pun intended

I like the 3rd pic that shows how much heat is transferred to the motor mount, thanks for sharing.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Champion
    Thats really neat.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, my pleasure. Yes, it's a big step above a temp gun. About 5k worth.

RC Qualifier
    It would be cool to do it again, one with a heat sink on the motor and one with a fan on it.
    Did any one check out the wires from the motor back to the first set of connectors, after the connectors the wires were cooler. I have always believed that any connector increases resistance and therefore increases temps, so if you took those connectors out and soldered, what would the temps on those wires look like??

Awesome post
    T.A.C
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Enthusiast
    Excellent observation on the wires. I do plan on doing more with heat sinks, fans and various other configurations.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Team arsy car View Post
    It would be cool to do it again, one with a heat sink on the motor and one with a fan on it.
    Did any one check out the wires from the motor back to the first set of connectors, after the connectors the wires were cooler. I have always believed that any connector increases resistance and therefore increases temps, so if you took those connectors out and soldered, what would the temps on those wires look like??

Awesome post
    T.A.C
    I did notice the motor wires, but really wasn't surprised, since some motor wires are directly a part of the windings which would explain the heat, and cant be cut.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    I did notice the motor wires, but really wasn't surprised, since some motor wires are directly a part of the windings which would explain the heat, and cant be cut.
    Yeah I see what you mean, it is pretty cool though to see the heat dissipation, I am glad that I have fitted the alloy motor mount and a vented motor plate.

T.A.C

I have one truck that has the wires soldered and one that uses connectors. You can feel the difference between the two after a run. The truck with the soldered wires seems to have better throttle response also. If you notice my signature, I am running the same motor combination in both trucks.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    i want one of those FLIR devices. just to check out my yard at night, lol.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    This is very cool, thanks for sharing.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have one truck that has the wires soldered and one that uses connectors. You can feel the difference between the two after a run. The truck with the soldered wires seems to have better throttle response also. If you notice my signature, I am running the same motor combination in both trucks.
    May have to look into one of those motors El Sob, a bit off post but I am having a bit of trouble with the Hobby Wing I fitted.
    Connectors are awesome, but they do create a rise in resistance, therefore current draw, if repairing or replacing connectors on sensitive circuits (Can Bus or Digital circuits, earth circuits, or high current draw circuits) I always fit gold plated. I have noticed that Traxxas and other brands all us gold plated, there is good reason for it. Gold resists corrosion.

RC Qualifier

Awesome post
    T.A.C
    I just don't think all the heat on the wires is created by the connectors. I think it was created by heat coming from the motor. Remember those wires connect directly to the winding and heat transfers through wires also.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

That is one awesome photo dude its great to see the heat.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    LOL nice I like the 3 pic , post more

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierravmax View Post
    I just don't think all the heat on the wires is created by the connectors. I think it was created by heat coming from the motor. Remember those wires connect directly to the winding and heat transfers through wires also.
    I agree with you totally, my point was that if the connectors were not there (and creating resistance) then the heat would have transferred further towards the ESC, not really sure if that is a good idea though.

I agree with you totally, my point was that if the connectors were not there (and creating resistance) then the heat would have transferred further towards the ESC, not really sure if that is a good idea though.
    To put my 0.02 cents in. In my setup the esc fan doesn't come on nearly as often as the truck with the connectors on it. In general every part of the motor system is cooler on the soldered truck and I have done some intensive testing. It all ends up to personal preference. Team, gold is a better conductor for electricity. It will show signs of wear on the connectors but if you use it it wont stay perfect.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    How do you like thw tacon motor? The pictures are awesome! I just wanted to know because mine juat arrived and I have to wait for more parts.
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Enthusiast
    I like it. Seems to run cooler but you really have to gear up if you want to go faster than stock.