Thread: Street Setup???

RC poster

Street Setup???

so ive been messing around, and im really stuck. ive got a brushless system in my Maxx and its super fast, however, im stuck on trying to set it up for street as far as suspension wise. i have integrity MSR4 shocks with rezzies. i primary drive on the street since i live in an apartment complex. however i do take it off road sometimes. nothing big, or hardcore. some small jumps, grass driving, and beach driving. what shock positions should i use, what oil, and how much should i tighten the springs. as it is now, as soon as i take a turn, it has the urge to flip. also it seems as if the tires fold underneath themselves in a turn. so its like riding on the rim despite the fact that i have the chamber way out.....?

RC poster
    anyone willing to share their shock settings?

RC Qualifier
    I'm the same apartment complex mostly asfault some rocks I keep the top shock mount in the As far out as they go and for the bottom the highest ride hight setting but further out this keeps it from rolling to bad but still gives it enough travel to hit the rough stuff

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

RC poster
    Explain the shock mounts better please ? Also what oil weight do u use and how stiff r urs?

RC Qualifier
    this is a different setup now but for a steet setup i'm assuming you want better traction and less body roll. for this you should have the shocks in the outer most hole at the bottom and the inner most holes at the top this will have the shocks at a more horizontal level rather than vertical, this will give you less travel but will prevent the body roll these Trucks get when cornering under power. as for shock oil i use 30WT all around and another thing to take into account is the fact i use 500K diff fluid, this a prety good thing to do because when these trucks turn under power they also tend to "pack" one of the front wheels and it will spin up really fast and balloon up, the 500K diff fluid doesn't eliminate this but it helps allot

RC poster
    diff fluid on stock diffs? ill try that out..... cause thats a huge problem with me....as soon as i turn, the front inner most wheel lifts up and balloons. the 500k weight oil will stop that from happening?

also do u use 1 or 2 holes for the suspension dampeners?

RC poster
    also what is a good toe and chamber setup for the front and rear? and how do i accurately set that up?

RC Qualifier
    There is another thread on this forum that is subject toe/in toe/out. It has a very good explanation of different setups for different traction surfaces.
    The best thing about Groundhog Day??? Bill Murray.

RC Qualifier
    i dont mess with the toe and camber i use i just use a free android app to set it up even, well the only thing is that i use the RPM TrueTrac conversion and its set to that perfect 1 degree toe in on the rear wheels for a little more bite

RC poster
    so i have an idea of what i want and that is -1 camber and toe on the front, and 0 camber on the rear and -1 toe.... but idk how i can get an accurate toe and camber reading.

RC Qualifier
    i use an angle app on my phone and a level suface its fairly accurate

RC poster
    what app? and how do u do toe? just by eye?

for years ive done it by eye, but it always proves to be inaccurate. so the truck always moves different directions lol also, when u do chamber, do you prop the truck up on something then put phone agenst tire then measure? or how do u do that?

RC Qualifier
    its an android app called Leveler

RC Qualifier
    when i do the toe i stand the truck up agaist the wall on top of a table (my wheelie bar keeps it level) and use the leveler app and for camber i just put it down and measure with the phone against the wheel my Galaxy S3 in an otter box covers the whole sideof the tire and gives a pretty solid reading

RC poster
    alright cool! thanks! so i got what/ how i want to set it up with that stuff, but now im stuck on ride height vs. shock stiffness. i have all 8 shocks (integy MSR-4 Piggy Backs) mounted on the farthest hole from the truck on the a-arms, and the closest hole from the truck on the tower mounts. i like that setup, but as it is now, i have 2 springs (sorta acts like dual rates? lol) and the threads all the way down on the body for the rear, and about half way on the front. im using 2 hole pistons with 60 weight oil. what should i do as far as ride height? lower it and have softer springs, or keep it the way it is. also any recommendations on springs? again mostly for street, but i do take it in the dunes, sand, grass, and dirt. nothing hardcore tho. minor jumps. i dont jump it that high anymore because im tired of buying parts all the time lol

RC Qualifier
    well thats really all up to you you may have to do some adjustments but that is a good starting point as for springs i just use the stock ones really the only upgrades i have is the 2 speed conversion, 500K diff oil, 15t pinions, and the T-MAXX tires. i keep my ride height up just cause its a truck even though i know it will get better traction and have less body roll with it lowered but thats just a personal preference. this the way i had it today when i took it out, put the ol' cheverons back on it for the mud

RC Champion
    OK, so few tips, I also run street alot:

1: lower ride height, you can place spacers around the shock shaft between the piston and the bottom of the shock cylinder, this limits how far the shock can extend without having to mess with your spring rate.
    2: Lots of guys look at the center diff mod, traxxas recomends it for on road, i belive.
    3: heavier diff fluid, but not too heavy, you dont want it super locked, that will destroy ur cornering unless all you do is straight line.
    4. If your running on road with the stock tires, you can take side snips and cut off the outside part of the tread where it kinda flares out, this will prevent the tire from biting on the side as much.
    All your suspension tuning questions answered here, sorry about the hard to see sub-titles:

http://www.myrcbox.com/articles/tech...-tuning-guide/
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    OK, so few tips, I also run street alot:

1: lower ride height, you can place spacers around the shock shaft between the piston and the bottom of the shock cylinder, this limits how far the shock can extend without having to mess with your spring rate.
    2: Lots of guys look at the center diff mod, traxxas recomends it for on road, i belive.
    3: heavier diff fluid, but not too heavy, you dont want it super locked, that will destroy ur cornering unless all you do is straight line.
    4. If your running on road with the stock tires, you can take side snips and cut off the outside part of the tread where it kinda flares out, this will prevent the tire from biting on the side as much.
    All your suspension tuning questions answered here, sorry about the hard to see sub-titles:

http://www.myrcbox.com/articles/tech...-tuning-guide/

What is number 2 and also what diff oil weight do u recommend?

RC poster
    alright so i basically just rebuilt the thing... spent $80 worth of parts. i also cleaned up the diffs and put 100k weight oil in which seems to have locked them up quite a bit. also rebuild shocks, front diff, and cleaned everything. setup toe in, camber, and suspension. so everything should be setup, but now i just dont have time to drive it lol hopefully tomorrow i will test it out