RC Enthusiast

clutch bell and spur gear.....

Has anybody tinkered with different sizes of spur gear or clutch bell on thier SLAYER PRO 4X4 to gain speed and whatever else?

Has anybody tried the 24t clutch bell(searched on ebay for slayer pro 4x4 and it came up as result)? Or what sizes work best?

What about spur gears? Any size works better than others to gain speed?

Which is easier to swap out?

RC poster
    bigger clutch bell, smaller spur = more speed. gotta pull motor for both...still easy.

RC Racer
    I vaguely remember changing the bell at some point, probably after changing the engine. It was crazy fast before, now it's retarded fast. Every bit as fast as my 4Tec. It's pretty much useless on the street, the only time it hits second gear is when all 4 tires are spinning.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Nah, stock gave the best of both worlds. Strength and speed. If you gear for crazy top speed you'll be missing strength (or is torgue the right word?) and it's no fun with a weak car when going offroad. 24t clutch and 36t spur would be a good candidate for high speeds but I wouldn't wanna drive it offroad. Don't know how the 3.3 would handle a 24t clutch. Check your manual on page 38 and maybe you'll get a clue on how to gear you car. If I wanted maximum speed from a stock Slayer I'd go with a 17t clutch.
    I upgraded my 3.3 to a .26 and switched to a 17t clutch to compensate for the added power. Besides that I only tried briefly with a 38t spur (and 15t clutch) with the 3.3 and I lost some top speed (which I didn't miss) but the power when going up a 45 hill was very appreciated.

I guess the gearing would depend on how and on what you drive your car:
    Big clutch bell, small spur = speed, less strength, slow acceleration.
    Small clutch bell, big spur = low speed, strength, fast acceleration.
    http://youtube.com/adolfss0n

RC Competitor
    Ya, 55 mph, on the slayer is uncontrollable on dirt. Nitro 4 tec, or jato would be more suitable for high speeds. I agree that the stock greeting (even though its plastic) works great!

RC Racer
    I have a set of Street Fighters on beadlocks for other than dirt use, and I added about half a crank of toe in on each rear wheel to help keep the front end forward. And you always want a plastic part in there somewhere to act as a fuse. Remember, the weakest part is the one that will break, so it's better that it's a $3 gear than a $150 crankshaft.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

I think the 17 tooth is the largest that will fit the motor mount's adjustable range.