RC Qualifier

Stripping Tranny Gear

Okay, ever since I broke in this TRX 3.3 with the Losi 3.4 Carb my JATO is flying, I am on my second gallon and am yet to tune this thing. Traxxas needs to just upgrade their carb and then the 3.3 is bulletproof, I mean, I am just wondering why is my Jato working so well... anways, I am stripping tranny gears like crazy... its like the plastic cannot hold-up to the power... This 3.3 is working as well as my Picco JL Red dot... Traxxas UPGRADE your Carb... I am going to buy the metal tranny gears... could someone let me know if the Hot Racing Traxxas Jato hardened steel 2 speed gear set SJT1000X are any good??? They are pricey, but at this rate I am tired stripping gears...

XO-1/Jato 3.3 w/ Losi 3.4 carb/HPI Vorza/OFNA LX2 w/LRP 2.8/Tmaxx w/PICCO RED Dot

RC Qualifier
    I've only heard good things about the HR steel gears. They're a couple of guys on here that use them.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    Maybe it's because you have the slipper clutch engaged too hard, there is one just to prevent stripping out gears. You can easily strip the gears without engine mods if the slipper clutch doesn't do it's job. And no I don't mean the clutch in the bell housing ;-)

So I'm not really sure the carb is doing any difference, because if it did, it would not strip gears, but rather slip on the clutch more. Which gets me back to that the slipper clutch just isn't set up properly!
    Kyosho Inferno TRX3.3 + Traxxas TQi + telemetry

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by M Quick View Post
    Maybe it's because you have the slipper clutch engaged too hard, there is one just to prevent stripping out gears. You can easily strip the gears without engine mods if the slipper clutch doesn't do it's job. And no I don't mean the clutch in the bell housing ;-)

So I'm not really sure the carb is doing any difference, because if it did, it would not strip gears, but rather slip on the clutch more. Which gets me back to that the slipper clutch just isn't set up properly!
    This is my 2nd Jato... Same slipper clutch setting... I have picco red dot in my Maxx so I know how to handle power... Never stripped before... As for the Losi carb... Night and day difference... I am yet to touch my needles... The TRX carb limits the 3.3... The Jato has no hesitation now... I will back off the slipper 1/4 turn and see...

RC Competitor
    I have the steel gears from hot racing (grease them). They're great. However I continue to run a plastic spur gear to give the driveline somewhere to give if needed. Set your slipper correctly and you should not have any issues. I stripped one spur gear and only because I didn't have my mesh set properly. Set that mesh properly and you won't have problems.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyrich View Post
    I have the steel gears from hot racing (grease them). They're great. However I continue to run a plastic spur gear to give the driveline somewhere to give if needed. Set your slipper correctly and you should not have any issues. I stripped one spur gear and only because I didn't have my mesh set properly. Set that mesh properly and you won't have problems.
    Am gonna get the steel gears after my plastic rebuild strips...thanks for the info... Much appreciated !