RC poster

Emaxx BL on the way! I have $300 for upgrades, what's the best choices???

Hello, new to forum but bought my first Traxxas in 1995. (when Nihms' were hot!) I have a EMAXX brushless on the way and held off on buying upgrades so could consult other owners. Waterproofing is not an issue to me... But where are the best places to put $300 for upgrades for reliability and function. I don't have a hobby shop in my town so ordering parts is a bummer and can ground me for a week. I think RPM A-Arms all around and aluminum bulkheads are necessary per what I've seen online but what elese should I get? I have ordered the EMAXX BL with 2 3S 5000mAh batteries so I think i could bust a lot of stuff up pretty quick... lol!!! Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all! Daze
    Last edited by lithiumdaze; 04-20-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling

RC poster
    RPM is coming out with Bulkheads on the 23rd of this month. So far, I have had my E-Maxx BL for just over a month and already snapped off the front left a-arm / the rear skid plate and one of the rear bulkheads. At that time, I had to replace the rear bulkheads and skid plate with the factory replacement. To replace the front A-arm that I snapped off I bought RPM's rear true track A-arms and swapped the broken one with a rear one. Therefore, altogether I have RPM's True Track Rear A-arms, the three-piece skid plate. I will eventually replace all the bulkheads with the new RPM bulkheads. I love RPM's product guarantee.

RC poster
    Thank you much WilliamA! I will wait for the 23rd for the bulkheads and 3 piece skid place kit. Are you running 6S, my guess is yes!!! lol! : )

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    weak parts are bulks, arms, driveshafts, and chassis. I would get aluminum bulkheads, cvd's, rpm arms, shock towers, big bore shocks. I wouldn't get plastic bulks, aluminum are much more stronger.

RC Qualifier
    I'm with RC-Fan on this one. I have all the upgrades he mentioned. I have an extra level of protection, a rollcage. It adds to the weight but it's saved my truck more times than I can remember.

RC poster
    Who did you buy the rollcage from? And thank you all for the great advice
    Quote Originally Posted by GaiginRC View Post
    I'm with RC-Fan on this one. I have all the upgrades he mentioned. I have an extra level of protection, a rollcage. It adds to the weight but it's saved my truck more times than I can remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    weak parts are bulks, arms, driveshafts, and chassis. I would get aluminum bulkheads, cvd's, rpm arms, shock towers, big bore shocks. I wouldn't get plastic bulks, aluminum are much more stronger.
    So all these upgrades should be gotten for under $300ish right??? Thank you for the help.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-21-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lithiumdaze View Post
    So all these upgrades should be gotten for under $300ish right??? Thank you for the help.
    Maybe a little over for everything...the aluminum bulks are 100, shock towers (2) are like 25, cvds are 80 for center and corners, and the arms are about 60 for front and rear I'm not sure if you have to get the rpm carriers for the front arms?
    That brings total to about 265 and you haven't gotten big bores yet
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    RPM Rear True Tracks arms, and carriers you need 1 set $36
    RPM Front carriers 1 set $25
    RPM center skid plate $16
    RPM Shock tower F&R $25
    RPM Front arms 2 set $16
    Traxxas cvd's $55
    Traxxas center cvd $30
    FLM regular bulkedas F&R $70

that's 270 + shipping cost, so that's pretty close, prices are taken from ebay.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Who did you buy the rollcage from? And thank you all for the great advice
    VGRacing. I also picked up a full set of their Heady Duty springs. I went with the T-Maxx Springs. They're so strong I only use 4. For the other half I use Traxxas white progressive springs.

http://www.vgracing.com/mm5/merchant...=VGR-EXT_EMAXX

RC poster
    That rollcage is pretty wicked! Not too expensive either. I think with the rollcage and RPM A Arms I should be good, oh yeah, bulks too. thanx again...

RC poster
    ALUM REAR SHOCK TOWER IS #1. I broke 4 in first two weeks of factory plastic. look at it this way, if the stuff wasnt supposed to break, why would they sell millions. rear wheelie bars are also going to break alot, every sidwinder they will snap. if you buy the $70 big bore shocks, make sure to pickup 60-70W shock oil, the factory 30 is useless, the rear of the truck will sit an inch lower than stock and very weak. springs will not correct it. good luck, and stock up on all parts. what ever you break, buy Rpm or ALuminum if avail...you get sick of constant tear down

RC Enthusiast
    RPM Rear True Tracks arms, and carriers you need 1 set $36
    RPM Front carriers 1 set $25
    RPM center skid plate $16
    RPM Shock tower F&R $25
    RPM Front arms 2 set $16
    Traxxas cvd's $55
    Traxxas center cvd $30
    FLM regular bulkedas F&R $70

that's 270 + shipping cost, so that's pretty close, prices are taken from ebay.
    Do you know what CVDs to use for the 3908L E-Maxx and do you use the three piece skid plate

RC poster
    Well I found out what my first parts order wii be for my EMAXX, Tires!! I was running mostly concrete and grass and the left rear sidewall split half the way around. Any ideas on tires that will last? I only ran it a total of 3 hours... 6s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by fritz002 View Post
    Do you know what CVDs to use for the 3908L E-Maxx and do you use the three piece skid plate
    traxxas cvd's, and RPM three pieces skid plates

Well I found out what my first parts order wii be for my EMAXX, Tires!! I was running mostly concrete and grass and the left rear sidewall split half the way around. Any ideas on tires that will last? I only ran it a total of 3 hours... 6s
    Proline tires, but tape them before glue them, don't get them preglued.

RC poster
    Should I use the stock wheels? And also, what Proline tires are best for longevity?
    traxxas cvd's, and RPM three pieces skid plates

Proline tires, but tape them before glue them, don't get them preglued.

RC Champion
    I hear ya on the sidewalls. 6 runs on 6s on pavment has just about destroyed my road rages mounted on proline Cheyenne beadlocks. I have another set mounted on the wider proline commando beadlocks with much better foam under them. I have only run them once but they are much firmer and hopfully keep them off the sidewalls a little better. Time will tell. Heres what I used for foams under them. racers edge #5372 3 1/4" wide with firmer edges but not to thick so (2) hpi #103335 side by side under the 5372. The hpi barely stretch on over the rim. some other foams I found to be much better than the stock ones that come with them is racers edge #4972 3" wide firm and nice and thick so you don't need anything under them. Another thing i have done is to round over the edges of the wheels so there is no sharp egde to cut into the sidewalls of the tires. It can only help.
    Other than that theres probably not a whole lot we can do to stop a heavy monster truck from chewing up the tires. We need some kind of sidewall protectors. Or some inner tubes with air. LOL Hope this helps.

RC Enthusiast
    My E-Maxx is on the way, and I hope it's OK to post in this thread. I understand that faster is better but I have been told that 6s is out of control fast. should I run 4s around the neighborhood? also what suspension pins are available?

Thanks lithiumdaze, great post. nice list of up grades. Went with the RPM bulks, arms and carriers I will wait for the shafts to fail.

RC poster
    Wow, this has been some great advice but I have yet to order any stuff yet. One cut sidewall and now a clicking sound when I punch it and when I brake. I think I'm in too deep and lost interest in wrenching... I'm in it $819.98. Got 2 Traxxas 5000 3s and 2 Traxxas lipo chargers, the whole shabang. The 3 1/2 hours of drive time was a blast but I think I wanna sell it. I read you could throw out a feeler in a sub thread, so here it is. I have a 100% iTrader rating on ecigarette forum, don't know if that matters. Any way what do you all think a fair price would be? This is the most truck I've ever owned and I think my Stampede and other 2 trucks (2wd) will suffice my jones to bash. Just thought I'd ask before I post... Thanks Oh ya, I got on 4/18/2013

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The clicking sound is from a stripped diff, you can post a feeler thread just post some pics to get an idea of the condition.

RC poster
    Thanx rc fan, for the clicking diagnosis! As far as what I'm selling, a 3908 Emaxx with 2 3s lipos and the trx chargers, 800mah... I'll try and set up a photobucket account and get'r posted. And to all that contributed to this thread, I say THANK YOU!

RC poster
    OK, I have been told to open a photo sharing site, so let's see if this happens... This is a feeler for a 3 1/2 hour ran E MAXX Castle Creations 3908 with 2 5000 mah lipos and 2 Traxxas chargers. I was told the clicking was a diff... and I tore a side wall on my left rear tire, other than that it is from RC Planet, ordered on 4/18/2013. Got it 6 days later. So with this "feeler" I was gonna go,... $50 off for the clicking diff, I've seen the complete diff for $21.00 each. And I'd take off $80.00 for the need for new tires. So I just got off of the RC Planet site and I guess I paid $729.00 (without shipping) and the rest was shipping. Well I am having troubles posting pics but I will work with anyone and be able to send pics to you cuz I have never needed to join a pic site to to this.... My price $600.00 takes the whole kit. Truck, all the extras, both chargers, both 3s 5000 mah lipos, manuals and everything that reminds me of this mistake... thanx

RC poster

frustrated and price drop... $575.00 for a 3908 L with 2 5000 mah batts and 2 char

OK, I have been told to open a photo sharing site, so let's see if this happens... This is a feeler for a 3 1/2 hour ran E MAXX Castle Creations 3908 with 2 5000 mah lipos and 2 Traxxas chargers. I was told the clicking was a diff... and I tore a side wall on my left rear tire, other than that it is from RC Planet, ordered on 4/18/2013. Got it 6 days later. So with this "feeler" I was gonna go,... $50 off for the clicking diff, I've seen the complete diff for $21.00 each. And I'd take off $80.00 for the need for new tires. So I just got off of the RC Planet site and I guess I paid $729.00 (without shipping) and the rest was shipping. Well I am having troubles posting pics but I will work with anyone and be able to send pics to you cuz I have never needed to join a pic site to to this.... My price $600.00 takes the whole kit. Truck, all the extras, both chargers, both 3s 5000 mah lipos, manuals and everything that reminds me of this mistake... thanx
    I really wanna let this go or builde the h*** outta it.... Asking price IS NOT TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC poster
    OK, HERE IS MY LAST EFFOET TO SELL MY E-MAXX CASTLE/MAMBA YADA YADA... I SPENT 800 PLUS,,,,, I KNOW THIS PROB SHOULD BE IN THE SALES THREAD BUT I HAD ZEEEEEEEERO LUCK DROPPING PICS... ANDYWAY $600.000 4 hour old E-MAXX WITH 2 5000mah lipos,,, 2 trx chargers,,,,,,,and a copy of the recipet from rcplanety;. you want it yours. i dunno but 600 seems cheap and if you get ahold of me this weekend we can deal.. OTHERWISE AS FOLLOWS

RC poster
    Why would a company sell a product that cant handle itself?????? Why can't i rock the b***h i dont think ferrari ever sold a super car that you couldnt rok outta nthe box..,. Any way nim gonna get nixxed from this forom soo peeeeece
    600 E MAXX 3908, LET'S DO THIS....
    Last edited by lithiumdaze; 05-18-2013 at 08:25 AM.

RC poster
    First I must say sorry about Traxxas Products... They work well, too well... I guess I missed the pat that said, We know you have owned 7 other Traxxas products so just Charge up your 3908 and have a ball. WRONG...I blew it up, for sale for 600 dollars,,,, Ya I'm willing to get riud of this for 2oo plus dollars, this is a joke... I had fun in the past but nor now. somebody skype me or just fn but this mony piuty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I get your frustration, I tried getting into helis, after spending around 1.5k on a single bird that didn't fly more than two times at 5ft, crash it fix it, and sold it, that's it it wasn't for me. That's the nature of the hobby, unfortunately this is not for everybody if you want to sell it post it on the market forum it will get all the exposure you need to get rid of it.

RC Competitor
    Your willing to sell it for $200? What all does it need? Im interested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2