RC Competitor

E revo diff problem??? I don't know!?

I'm running my e revo on 5s right now and it seams very slow. It doesn't even wheelie. When I give it throttle and then let off of the throttle it sounds like there's cracking. The sound is coming from the back of the car. Is my diff shot? Is that why it was running slow?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yup it souds like the difd is stripped. You need a new diff ring and pinion, shim the diff read post #26
    Also check the center driveshat is ok removing the middle cover under the chassis.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Street-Machine
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-20-2013 at 12:50 PM.

RC Racer
    +1
    Rear diff ring gear is gone - either severely chipped teeth, or more likely a whole tooth broken off either the ring or pinion gear.
    TRA5379X or start considering the lst2 diff conversion if you are going to continue running 5S.

RC Competitor
    I tore the rear end apart to look at the diff and I found that when I spin the diff ring it gets caught on the pinion at one spot every go around. What could be causing this?

RC Champion
    A missing or worn tooth letting it get out of time and binding?

RC Competitor
    That's what I'm thinking. Do I need to get a new diff or can I just replace something?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You don't have to replace the whole thing just the ring and pinion post #2

RC Competitor
    Okay. Do you think this is the reason why it was pretty slow?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 3592 View Post
    Okay. Do you think this is the reason why it was pretty slow?
    It could be, if the diff is stripped there is no contact between the pinion and ring, so the driveshaft is spinning free. Have you inspected the diff?, is the center drive shaft ok?, is your slipper tight? is your pinion, and spur mesh right?

RC Competitor
    The center drive shaft is okay. My slipper is sorta tight. Nothing to crazy. The mesh is how I always keep it and it normally runs fine. I had some extra diff ring and pinion that I tried to put into it and it still make the sound??? Idk if I didn't something wrong or what. I ordered a brand new diff so hopefully I can put an end to this problem hahaha.

RC Competitor
    Also I would recommend GPM's STRV1202 hardened gear set as well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 3592 View Post
    The center drive shaft is okay. My slipper is sorta tight. Nothing to crazy. The mesh is how I always keep it and it normally runs fine. I had some extra diff ring and pinion that I tried to put into it and it still make the sound??? Idk if I didn't something wrong or what. I ordered a brand new diff so hopefully I can put an end to this problem hahaha.
    are the rear driveshafts ok?

RC Competitor
    The rear driveshafts seem to be fine. No problems that I can tell.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDragon View Post
    Also I would recommend GPM's STRV1202 hardened gear set as well.
    Really?????

RC Qualifier
    My problem sounds very similar to yours. Running 5s, making tons of clicking sounds and no longer wheelies.

Tore the rear diff apart, but the diffs are fine. Turned out to be the transmission - the 2 bearings inside the idler gear (3996x) blew up and ball bearings and chipped teeth everywhere.

Have you disconnected the drive shafts from the tranny and given it throttle to rule out your tranny?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by deanwrx View Post
    My problem sounds very similar to yours. Running 5s, making tons of clicking sounds and no longer wheelies.

Tore the rear diff apart, but the diffs are fine. Turned out to be the transmission - the 2 bearings inside the idler gear (3996x) blew up and ball bearings and chipped teeth everywhere.

Have you disconnected the drive shafts from the tranny and given it throttle to rule out your tranny?
    This happened to me too.

RC Competitor
    No I have not disconnected the drive shafts. I will try that tomorrow.

RC Competitor
    I just check the transmission by running it without the driveshafts. It seems fine. No problems that I could tell. I'm just going to wait for the diff to come in and hopefully it fixes it.