RC Qualifier

1/8 Summit Petition

Hi All,

Something just clicked in my head, after seeing sooooooo many summits near other 1/10`s and other comparison pics. I thought, They really need to change the classification from 1/10 to 1/8th scale. I know its supposed to be based on the electronics size and all... BUT this truck is JUST TO MASSIVE to be called 1/10. Next to my 1/8th Associated MGT monster truck, they are nearly identical in size.

Check out Madd802`s pic of his Summit and Grave Digger:

I refuse to call it 1/10th. To me and alot of people, This truck is a 1/8th scale.

Who would sign this petition for Traxxas to change their designation of this trucks scale to 1/8th?

If you agree; reply "Agree" on this thread! Who else agrees with me?
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Racer
    Lol... even next to the 1/10th scale t maxx its a monster
    My girlfriend just asked me How is it possible that they are all 1/10th scale? I honestly didn't have a answer for her

RC Qualifier
    Ya, I know. Even if they HAD to call it 1/10, they should qualify it like, "Oversize" 1/10, or something, if not 1/8.

RC Qualifier
    Agree. It should be classified 1/8th scale.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    disagree. ever seen a stock Silverado next to bigfoot? size gaps are just fine with me. i believe the word "monster" is appropriately used in the summit's description.

RC Qualifier
    To each their own opinion but when you look for alternative aftermarket options to put on a Summit you shop 1/8 scale parts not 1/10 scale... Seems common sense that a Summit can be called 1/8 scale. You can't power it with 1/10 scale power either...

I agree! My Summit is MASSIVE!!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    It doesnt matter how many people agree, they arent going to change it. Non of traxxas's 1/10 scale monster trucks fit into everyone elses 1/10 class... they are all, in reality, 1/8 scale. But who cares.

The argument is that if a stadium truck (or slash for that matter) is 1/10 in relation to its 1/1 counterpart, then a "monster truck" in 1/10 scale would probably be somewhere close to the size of a summit/erbe or even a maxx... but in the RC world the "scale" of a vehicle has little to do with how it actually relates to its 1/1 counterpart (where on exists... ive never seen a 1/10 stadium truck). Its simply a classification system we all use to judge the general size of a vehicle and its components. In this respect, the summit/ERBE/maxx SHOULD be a 1/8... but again... who cares.

I suppose there would be SOME minor argument in relation to the size of the differentials as well... they are all 1/10 scale. Before traxxas updates their classification, id like them to update their diffs...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Interesting points, pave. And of course you're right Traxxas won't change it. I guess your comments helps me understand the comment earlier about its 1/10 "to a monster truck".

At any rate I like the Summit, even though I'm still pretty new to it. It just seems 1/8 scale to me relative to my three 2WD 1/10 TRX trucks.

So you're saying you think the diffs are undersized on the Summit? I've read a few posts about diff problems.

RC Competitor
    I think the overall size of the summit is mainly due to the fact of the tires and a-arms. But that's the point of a monster truck, to exaggerate the suspension and tires. The fact that you can almost fit an unbodied 1/16 scale rc under the summit body with it on the summit also adds to the over all size. Monster truck it is, scaler it is not. I could care less what scale they call it... I call it like it is... A SUMMIT.

On a side note. I have to completely agree with pavementsurfer on the diffs. I've upgraded the servos almost as soon as I got it so the diffs are my only real complaint. I have hardened steel spiders and shimmed them. No issues there now. But now the ring and pinion (also hardened) are vulnerable when the case either flexes causing gear jump or the bearings fail. I've tried steel and ceramic bearings from Acer, Avid, Vxb, and even Boca. None seem to last any longer than the other in a summit when bashing it under BL power. I believe it is due to the lack of a thrust bearing on the pinion. The bearings used aren't designed for constant side load. I would love an aluminum housed hardened steel geared diff with bigger bearings on the pinion with an added thrust bearing to handle the gear deflection under heavy acceleration. With that said, if you leave your summit 100% stock the diff was just fine (for me anyways) but who can resist hopping up your Summit?

RC Qualifier
    remember boys, these are toys. I wouldnt put too much thought into it. magic dragon has it right. my slash lid fits perfectly on my summit. so does that make my slash 1/8th?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    It doesnt matter how many people agree, they arent going to change it. who cares.
    Before traxxas updates their classification, id like them to update their diffs...
    Well said, I second that.

RC Qualifier
    OMG.

Who takes things way to seriously? All yall do! LoL

I was simply stating that the Summit is massive and looking to hear from you IF you agree.

Not start a war. I didn't actually think this was going to get Traxxas to do this. Just simply a thought.

I think it should be 1/8th, my 1/8ths parts compare in size to the Summit.

YES updated diffs would be nice. I would rather this too.... but we know they make too much money on diff kits we only use 2 gears from lol they woundt bite the hand that feeds them haha.

No your slash is not 1/8... lol

RC Competitor
    Agree. It should be 1/8. We are not strong enough to change it though.

RC Racer
    i agree but my summit is bigger then most 1/8th scale truggys and buggys.... i think it should be 1/6th and a 1/2 lol
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Qualifier
    so should 1/8th scale buggy's be changed to 1/10 scale because they are about the same size as a slash? shouldn't be entirely based on total size...

normal truck next to a 'monster'

normal truck next to a 'monster'

if my highlift based 1/10 scale truck on the left had a little less body lift i'd say it would be darn close. summit is a 1/10 'monster'.