RC Champion

TMaxx Running and Revving.... No Movement

During a run a few days ago everything was going fine until the truck just stopped. The engine was still running and revving fine but the vehicle wouldnt go. I checked the usual stuff, slipper is tight and no signs of damage. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Also, after this happened the motor acted like it had too much compression and was hard to start. When I loosened the glow plug however, it turned over fine. It wasnt flooded. Any ideas?
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    did u check the idle screws

RC Qualifier
    If the clutchbell and slipper were moving when you revved it, it might be internal trans issue. We're the center drive shafts moving? If the center shafts moved and truck didn't, it'd be the diffs. Not common for both diffs to go at once but who knows... what trans do you have?
    The best thing about Groundhog Day??? Bill Murray.

RC Champion
    The clutch bell and slipper were moving but center shafts were not. Did not see internal damage before but I will go take another peek. Whats strange is this has happened before for a few seconds but then gone away.

Mine has the black two speed trans with reverse. 2.5r model 4902 I believe.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm, that is strange... Did you check the slipper for wear? It might be tight but still not catch. Pics of inside the trans?

RC Racer
    check your slipper shoes for wear and any cracks in the shoes. if either is the case then they wont engage properly. could also be that your clutch in the bell housing if worn and isnt getting enough grip on the bell housing to engage the spur gear?

but if your spur and bell are moving I would be leaning towards stripped trans gears.
    Last edited by B3nno8; 04-17-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    modded 3906 e-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    This just happened to me. Check to see if your slipper pads are still there. Mine must of fell out some how and it would not move when I gave it throttle

RC Racer
    thats why I did the slipper clutch mod. removed the slipper pads and put a brake disc there... have had no slipper clutch dramas since. I use to go through a set every second run. another thing is check to make sure your brake is disengaging since its a driveline brake
    modded 3906 e-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    but if your spur and bell are moving I would be leaning towards stripped trans gears.
    What T-maxx do you have? If it's the 4910 the trans part traxxas 4992 the yoke pin will snap on that main gear.

RC Champion
    Sorry guys. Been very busy rebuilding the slash. Heres the inside of the trans.

Nothing looks broken or out of place.

Where would the pin you referenced be located?
    Land of the free?

RC Enthusiast
    The traxxas 4992x assembly, trx 4995 Primary gear witch is located on the center shaft behind the gear hub.

RC Qualifier
    Looking at the picture, it looks like the 4992 gear has been spinning on the shaft causing wear. Could be wrong but look at the shaft the spur mounts to. That pin in the 2 stage gear should holding the gear from spinning on that shaft.

RC Champion
    Thank you very much Fishstickz! It was snapped and the part that was left was just enough so it would only engage once in a while. Now Ive just got to figure how to get it back together. Thanks again!
    Land of the free?

RC poster
    I just found out why mine wasn't moving either, after emailing pics of a broken pic I found to traxxas and them still not knowing where the broken pic came from I decided to tear into my other tmaxx and found the problem.. As fishstickz put out that pic of the gear pic that's what's in my old tmaxx but my new model tmaxx classic think it's the 4910 number for it... But the transmission is a little different the part number 4992x that fish shows is different than the newer models the older tmaxxes use that in the tranny where the new maxxes use part number 4995. It may not look like the little Allen screw is broke but it is and that is what I'm sure is why mine wasn't moving... Make sure you know which gear you have in there... Any other question ask I will try to answer the best I can

RC Enthusiast
    Your welcome, I have replaced that yoke pin a few times. You can heat the yoke pin up then dip it in oil to harden it. Traxxas only has that yoke pin with the 4992 assemble, so you will have new primary gear!

4910 model with rev the truck jumps constantly trying to engage if your tune is off.

Well you have the tranny open, a very good upgrade is to remove the forward/rev gear with the Forward only (FoC) assembly 4994x.

RC Champion
    Hmm. I just took it out and it happened again, or so I thought. I gave it a nudge and it resumed driving like normal. Hmmm.
    Land of the free?

RC Enthusiast
    Did you notice a lot of wear on the shaft (Traxxas 4993) where that yoke pin was scrapping? Did you use the M3/12 yoke or just a random yoke? That yoke could have snapped again.

RC Champion
    I used one from a different tmaxx trans I had lying around. Could have contributed to this possible failure. Just didnt feel like paying $6 for one.

I honesly dont remember if there was any wear. If there was anything bad I would have notice.

Oh well. Its working now. Tomorrow Ill see as Im going to put several tanks through it.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Took the maxx out today and put 12 tanks through it. It seems to go out of gear in between shifting from forwards to reverse or vice versa. Hmm. Im going to tear it down anyways to clean it up now so Ill just take a peek in the tranny again I guess...
    Land of the free?

It's going to, when shifting from FWD/RVS the trany is in essentially neutral, till you give it gas & the pawls swing out to catch the shift drum.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Ok. When this happens though, I can rev it but it still wont catch. The only way to get it into gear is by shifting into reverse. As long as nothing is broken Ill live with it though.
    Land of the free?