Thread: NEWB Here

RC Racer

NEWB Here

OK I just bought a Slash 4x4 Ultimate off of craigslist. It came with a bunch of extra parts, batteries and a charger. The upgrades it has on it is Pro-Line coil overs all the way around, alum shock towers, alum motor mount, center diff, Pro-Line Caliber SE tires, Traxxas cooling fan on the ESC and the normal upgrades on the Ultimate. I changed the center diff back to the slipper clutch, I think its better for bashing, and right now I have it geared 18/54. I just bought a Venom 5000 35c 3s Lipo and holy baby bearded gebus is it fast. itll start wheeling at about 50' out after i get on it. Next on the list is a Castle cooling fan for the motor. What do yall think of the Teken Redline SC4X 4.5 motor? I got one NIB with the truck and Im thinking about installing it.

http://www.teamtekin.com/sc4x.html

if you running 54/18 with the stock motor, gear it down a little. On 3s your gonna smoke it...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

First things, first. I would like to welcome you to the forum and the addiction! Remember, we are here to help! Now back to the question, rag6 is correct when he says the stock motor will not last long geared 18/54. Gearing that high will cause the motor to overheat and fail. To be honest I don't know enough about that motor to know if it would be a good upgrade. If I were you, I would sell the stock motor system and the spare motor to buy a Castle Creations 2400 SCT combination.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Wellcome to the forum! i checked the specs of that motor, and is stated that the Tekin Redline SC4X 4.5 motor is rated for 2s/7.4v max... So, i think it wont work with your venom 3s... but i might be wrong.

André
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    Did some research on rctech.net, the motor is a 2 pole 3 slotted. The 4.5 will run hot, 5.5 seems to be the highest kv you can run for longer than 10 min. Tekin has a 13mm rotor that will help a little with temps.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

If that motor is truly brand new in the package, I would go to my lhs and see if I could get store credit or something. That way you could get a motor to better meet what you want to do with your truck. It is worrh a shot, the worse they can say is no. The best case scenario is, you get free stuff!!!

RC Qualifier
    welcome. how about a pic of ur ride? that motor is a 4800kv (+/- 100kv) which is too high for 3s and bashing. it would FLY for a few minutes before getting real hot tho! if ur going to race on 2s.....different story. but for general bashing u want to be in 2400 - 3800 range.

RC Racer
    Yah I did some research and math today, that motor is a no bueno. I thought about the parts trade in thing for the motor. The guy I got this from, all he ran was 2c Lipo's and it was a track truck. Now its a basher. the center drive shaft bearing went out and chewed up the 18/54. So I went completely through the truck today and found a few issues that got addressed. I also removed the alum. shock towers, they were binding up the shocks and the rear one was bent, so the stock plastic ones went on. I also made the mistake of driving it in gravel and it chewed up the 15/54 I put in there, so i had a spare center diff with a 54 on it and my friend had a 18 laying in his tool box so I got it going fast enough for lift off. So right now its back at an 18/54

Last edited by v8sten; 04-22-2013 at 01:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    My next slash will have a Tekin and MMP smart sense!! I'm hoping to go for the Pro 4 HD 3500kv.

The MMP smart sense is awesome it starts the motor using the sensors, then once its going fast drops the sensors out to be more efficient. I'm not a genius with these ESC's but a few people i've talked to really liked them!

RC Racer
    OK, so my 3 cell lipo was giving my clutch heck and I had to resort to going to the center diff yesterday. So today after work I went to my LHS and got a lot of parts. I upgraded the clutch to a HD Revo clutch and re geared it to 13/54. well the result of that was, it had a ton of torque and wound up rounding off the 6 sided wheel hub and the wheel. So I took this time to put my RPM control arms on.

Edited for bypassing the language filter. If you see a starred out word in your post, do not insert symbols in order to bypass the filter. Future attempts to bypass the filter could result in warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-23-2013 at 08:47 AM.

RC Racer
    I made a separate battery pack for the electric cooling fans and it made a difference. I had no idea that they puled that much juice. The LiPo lasted a lot longer it felt like it lasted for 30-40 minutes and it made a lot more power and twisted the rear axles. The 1st one is a video.

RC Racer
    Video below

Last edited by v8sten; 05-01-2013 at 12:38 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think you have low voltage detection enabled on the vxl 3s, the power led should be green, nice buy though!
    Savage Flux, .0625 rally vxl

RC Racer
    I run a low voltage monitor and it starts beeping.

Mip X-Duty axles will solve your problem of breaking axles. An aluminum motor mount is a good thing. Kings Headz has a larger bearing and is an excellent upgrade.

RC Racer
    IDK what brand motor mount it had on it but it had holes in it and debris got in the gearbox and wiped out the gear set. so i put the stock one back on for now, until i get the Kings Headz mount.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by v8sten View Post
    IDK what brand motor mount it had on it but it had holes in it and debris got in the gearbox and wiped out the gear set. so i put the stock one back on for now, until i get the Kings Headz mount.
    Does that battery pack you made for the fans get hot at all? I was looking to do something like that to my slash since I run both esc and motor fan.

RC Racer
    No not at all. It runs both fans, receiver and servo. The LiPo only runs the ESC and motor. I have yet to run the pack down and I have run it 3 times. I'm having a problem with the switch, so I'll have to pull it apart to replace it.