RC poster

Brand new e-revo - Slipper Clutch or something came apart 10-15 mins into first drive

So I ordered a e-Revo 5608 from Amazon brand new.

I charged up the included batteries (NIMH's) and went out for my first drive.

Breaking in the slipper clutch slowly with gradual throttle, everything was running great.

I ran for about 10-15 minutes it seemed like and then it started to make strange noises. I drove it over to me and looked at it and noticed a little smoke seemed to be coming out of where the motor/gearbox comes together.

I also noticed that there were shavings of black plastic all over the place inside. I shut everything down and brought it inside, pulled the cover off the clutch box and noticed that the gear when it turns wobbles. Looks like the plastic came out from inside that.

Has this happened to anyone right out of the box? I haven't even charged my lipo's, so this was strictly NIMH's, not beating on it at all.

I'm working with Amazon for a replacement right now as I think something was put together incorrectly (over tight, or whatever).

Any idea what happened here, so I can take a look at the replacement to make sure i don't have this same issue?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Either you smoked the slipper or the bearing on the clutch went bad, strange on a new truck, but take it apart, and inspect it.Post some pics if you can to get a better idea.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Either you smoked the slipper or the bearing on the clutch went bad, strange on a new truck, but take it apart, and inspect it.Post some pics if you can to get a better idea.
    I just took it apart a bit just to get an idea what it may be. I packed it up since it was only 1 day old, having a new one shipped out to me and sending this one back.

I just never came across anyone who had this issue on the forum with the stock NIMH batteries. I beat the crap out of my 1/16 e-Revo VXL and have never had anything break yet *knock on wood*.

Either way, if it was the slipper, or bearings on the clutch that went bad. I guess for the slipper it would just be replacing that, if it was bearings what kind of money are you looking at for replacement parts? Is it a common issue?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It never happened to me before, on new or used trucks, so don't know how often it happens, but you will be paying more on shipping it back than fixing it. You mentioned the spur wobbles maybe it was a mistake during the assembling just a guess.

RC poster
    It never happened to me before, on new or used trucks, so don't know how often it happens, but you will be paying more on shipping it back than fixing it. You mentioned the spur wobbles maybe it was a mistake during the assembling just a guess.
    Shipping is free on both the return, and the replacement. They already put in my replacement order, ships Monday for Tuesday overnight delivery. Amazon rocks for returns.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds good. Did you slipper had a high pitch noise?

RC poster
    Sounds good. Did you slipper had a high pitch noise?
    Yeah - It started making a higher pitch whine, that's when I stopped and pulled the cover off to take a look at noticed the smoke and shavings.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That means the slipper was to loose, and when that happens the pads overheat, and they smoke. It doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the truck not even a reason to send it back, but that's your decision. Next time just tight then the slipper all the way in, and loosen it up from 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn, the ideal is 1/4 to 1/2. If you have the manual it is well splained.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.

RC poster
    That means the slipper was to loose, and when that happens the pads overheat, and they smoke. It doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the truck not even a reason to send it back, but that's your decision. Next time just tight then the slipper all the way in, and loosen it up from 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn, the ideal is 1/4 to 1/2. If you have the manual it is well splained.
    The pile of plastic shavings isn't something wrong? Just my as well get a brand new one with what it costs I guess was my thinking. Instead of me having to buy the parts, pull it all apart and replace them. With the amount of plastic shavings, something surely has to be replaced? If not, it's just surprising.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The slipper was loose, so the spur wobbles all around, rubbing with the spur gear cover. I guess that's from the plastic shavings came from, even the spur could get damaged as well, it could happen again if don't setup your slipper properly, it doesn't mean you got a defective truck, it is your responsibility to know how to operate the truck, and check everything before running. Read your manual before running your truck it is very helpful.

RC poster
    The slipper was loose, so the spur wobbles all around, rubbing with the spur gear cover. I guess that's from the plastic shavings came from, even the spur could get damaged as well, it could happen again if don't setup your slipper properly, it doesn't mean you got a defective truck, it is your responsibility to know how to operate the truck, and check everything before running. Read your manual before running your truck it is very helpful.
    I guess i just didn't think to take the truck apart before running it the first time is all. I'll be sure to do so in the future.

Watching a bunch of Youtube video's now to get up on things.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I understand your excitement to run your brand new truck, but it is better to check everything is where it is suppose to be before running, setting up the slipper doesn't take more than 2 min, and the only disassemble involved is removing the spur cover (one screw). It is not a thing you have to do constantly, but once in a while.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-19-2013 at 11:45 PM.

RC Competitor
    While it is still a good idea....Traxxas does not tell customers to take truck apart and check everything before running.... nor should they have to on a brand new truck. Slipper adjustment is recommended as routine maintenance..... after running the truck. The manual DOES state to stop driving if excessive slippage is noticed during break in. It became operator error once the slippage was noticed and operation was continued without adjustment. (Page 19)

Page 19
    Last edited by ImageX; 04-20-2013 at 11:14 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
    While it is still a good idea....Traxxas does not tell customers to take truck apart and check everything before running.... nor should they have to on a brand new truck. Slipper adjustment is recommended as routine maintenance..... after running the truck. The manual DOES state to stop driving if excessive slippage is noticed during break in. It became operator error once the slippage was noticed and operation was continued without adjustment. (Page 19)

Page 19
    When the noise changed and sounded different (I assume the slipper making the noise, or the gear mesh not being correct) - I stopped the car to check it out. The shavings were present then.

I will be sure to take apart the new car to check and make sure of the tightness. I'm just going to pull it completely apart to replace skid guards, bumpers, etc when I get it and to make sure everything is correct at the same time.

RC Competitor
    Adding hop-ups and LEDs on my new E I noticed the nut was almost all the way backed off. Had to tighten it about four good turns till bottomed out and set it to where it should have been?

RC Competitor
    Yeah, not a bad idea to play it safe. Especially with this kind of power. I have a 1/16 Revo but will be buying the 1/10 in about 2 weeks. I will pay extra close attention to break in!

Quote Originally Posted by rippinex View Post
    Adding hop-ups and LEDs on my new E I noticed the nut was almost all the way backed off. Had to tighten it about four good turns till bottomed out and set it to where it should have been?
    Sounds like someone on the assembly line hasn't been doing their job properly!
    Last edited by ImageX; 04-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.

RC poster
    I got the new e-Revo in today and it drives great. I had to loosen up the slipper clutch from the stock. It was WAYYYY too tight.

I noticed that the "pads" look like they are 100% metal now, in videos I've seen online they look black like brake pads. Mine are just straight metal. Is this a new design?

Also, I saw people mention clutch replacements. What are the recommended models to do away with it? Does it put more stress on other components when you do replace it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats's great, metal pads are offered as an upgrade for the stock gray pads. Not sure if traxxas are including them on the new trucks, but that's good. Can't comment on slipper upgrades, the stock worked good for me.

RC Champion
    Yes the aluminum pads are now offered on the E-revo. The first car you got must have been on the shelf for some time.

Traxxas has various updates to the design of the truck that have snuck in over time.

-Upgrade to Aluminum Slipper Pads
    -Upgrade to 13mm axle carrier bearings
    -Upgrade to Lipo batteries and charger
    -Upgrade to Traxxas Link Radio

Probably a few more im missing.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Qualifier
    Yep mine is from January 2013 and came with aluminum slipper pads.

RC Champion
    When you get the new one try it out again before upgrading it, keeping mindful of the slipper sounds. "Don't fix i, if it's not broken" type thing.

Grab a pic and come ask us.