RC Racer

Just bought a used revo... Tips?

I just bought a used revo from a friend and its hard to start and is it bad that the wheel on the bottom of the body spins with only some compression. Like I can spin it around and around but it does have some compression. Also I never got it started but he says that it does start and the engine stalls when you give it gas. Where should I go about this?

RC Competitor
    It sounds as if the engine is low on compression. It should be hard like really hard to spin the fly wheel on the engine. The hard to start could be do to out of tune or the low compression.. I think it is about $75 for at rebuild kit on th 2.5 and around the same on the 3.3

RC Racer
    I don't know how to rebuild... Should I sell it? How much should I have paid for it? it came with glow plug ignitor and charger, ez start and charger and some fuel and the receiver...

RC Qualifier
    I would personally sell it, i don't like having to work constantly on tuning the dang thing for a simple bashing. For a good running used revo in decent shape, you should have paid somewhere around 300-400 dollars, this is not the case. For the issues you stated, you should have made a decent buy at $200, give or take. What you can do however, is buy the rebuild kit, and not install it- the reasoning for this is for re-sale, some people may or may not prefer to do a rebuild themselves, but they could also have the old engine parts as spare parts. If you were to buy the rebuild kit, you could potentially be looking at $300. Worst case scenario you can trade it to a member on here, some people are up for a challenge. Best of luck.
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Racer
    I bought it for $100 and here's a video of me trying to start it.

RC Competitor
    one way bearing shot? at any rate for 100.00 Id keep it. IMO.

One way bearing sounds like it needs cleaning or replacing. That's a steal for $100. If you don't want it you could sell for a bit more than that or trade for something that you would prefer.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    ill take it for 100.00 and you can keep the engine
    I NEED PARTS!!
    Last edited by jwc0108; 04-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys! So I should get a one way bearing? Are they hard to replace on the revo? I replaced my nitro rustlers and it wasn't hard, but the revo is probably different.

EDIT: and what if the OWB isn't the problem? What else could it be? Because I tried starting it again after I made the video and it caught 2 times longer than in the video... Should I hold my finger over the exhaust and prime it? How long?
    Last edited by nickorus; 04-18-2013 at 09:31 AM.

RC Competitor
    you can remove the easy start with the motor in place but one bolt is tricky to get at. Your choice, I always remove the engine to do the OWB, then while the engine is out I do a cleaning and what not.

Replace the bearing first. I believe that is your issue...as for priming, yes I always plug the exhaust until I see the fuel going into the carb, then release.

Until you can get it to continually catch while trying to start...I wouldn't try priming it. Replace the OWB

RC Racer
    I bought an OWB at the hobby store, but I don't know where to start to take something off... I have a feeling I wouldn't remember where the parts go... Video tutorial?

RC Competitor
    I can tonight...or got to your exploded view of the engine they have posted on this site...its very easy. just take off your easy start where it bolts to the engine and the OWB is right there..keep in mind the washer in there.

RC Racer
    Oh all I have to do is take the ez start off? The guy at the hobby store said I had to take the engine off. If you can make a video. That would be awesome.

RC Racer
    I've heard of people installing a small nipple with a tube attached on the back of the owb housing. Then they spray cleaner into owb thru the tube.
    I just loosen mine up and hit it with cleaner from the side before each session. Takes about 5 minutes.

RC Racer
    I'm good now thanks guys, I'll post a video if I get it running, I need servos and what not also.